[Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby Kartografer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:05 pm

itzwolf wrote:The only thing to note and it may very well be personal opinion, is the lack of title casing when stating House Numbers and Residential Place Points. I’m definitely no English major but they are identified as “RPP” and “HN” so to me “residential point Places”, “residential Point Places”, and simply “house numbers” doesn’t quite look correct. Otherwise if keeping sentence case, there are still a few places to make the changes for page uniformity.

We don't have a lot of uniformity with capitalization in the wiki. Although we seem to agree that sentence case is preferred over title case, disagreement stems from what is a proper noun and what isn't. This was discussed somewhat in this thread but that discussion seems to have stalled. Anyhow, I think we should not capitalize any Waze objects (like place, update request, house number, etc.) and just use unambiguous language, because I don't think they're proper nouns. As for abbreviations, capital letters are used all the time when abbreviating common nouns.

Regardless of capitalization, we really need an update to this page, and this draft looks good! Lots of useful and important information.
[ img ]
LG G4 on TMobile - Android 6.0
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota, Chiang Mai
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby itzwolf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Kartografer wrote:
itzwolf wrote:The only thing to note and it may very well be personal opinion, is the lack of title casing when stating House Numbers and Residential Place Points. I’m definitely no English major but they are identified as “RPP” and “HN” so to me “residential point Places”, “residential Point Places”, and simply “house numbers” doesn’t quite look correct. Otherwise if keeping sentence case, there are still a few places to make the changes for page uniformity.

We don't have a lot of uniformity with capitalization in the wiki. Although we seem to agree that sentence case is preferred over title case, disagreement stems from what is a proper noun and what isn't. This was discussed somewhat in this thread but that discussion seems to have stalled. Anyhow, I think we should not capitalize any Waze objects (like place, update request, house number, etc.) and just use unambiguous language, because I don't think they're proper nouns. As for abbreviations, capital letters are used all the time when abbreviating common nouns.

Regardless of capitalization, we really need an update to this page, and this draft looks good! Lots of useful and important information.

Quickly read through that thread, thanks for linking it. I am good with sentence case and the initiative to come to a standardization for wiki writing. Seeing the differences from what I am used to reading triggered me to take notice. That said, I also agree this update is very much needed and the information contained needs published for the masses. Thanks to Nick and subs5 for their work here.
Southeast Assistant Regional Coordinator
US Champ / US Country Manager
Florida State Manager

SER Wiki | SER Discord Chat

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
itzwolf
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Its been a few days without comment, so I'm sharing this among a few additional GHOs. I think this one is pretty straight-forward, but want to make sure there aren't any hold outs.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Maryland SM | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby roadtechie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Looks good Nick. Nice work!
-Roadtechie
Assistant Regional Coordinator | Great Lakes
Local Champ Mentor | USA
Country Manager | USA
roadtechie
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby johnsninja58 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Great job Nick, nice update to an important topic i think an update that should go live quickly

Two Quick question on interpolation (neither of these questions should hold up the posting of this update):
Do we know if waze interpolates both sides of the street (odd/even)?
Is interpolation only on a per segment basis between house numbers?
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:24 pm

johnsninja58 wrote:Great job Nick, nice update to an important topic

Two Quick question on interpolation:
Do we know if waze interpolates both sides of the street (odd/even)?
Is interpolation only on a per segment basis between house numbers?

As far as we know, it only interpolates numbers between set HNs (not on the opposite side of the road)(I don't think segments have an effect).

But I'll pass those questions on.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby steveinark » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Reading thru the suggested page update, noted this added bullet point:

* House numbers only route to road segments with names; RPPs will route to any road segment named or not.

This is quickly confirmed when testing the route after an RPP is added at the end of an unnamed private road going to the house.

I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

Since I routinely add the street/city as an alternate, for out-of-city segments with an RPP, I'd never realize that, LOL. If that requirement was eliminated, it would be good to save that additional editing workload.
[ img ]
Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm

steveinark wrote:I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

There are still a number of hidden mechanisms that are required for RPPs to be used, but they aren't fully understood. For example, there is some thought that adjusting a stop point for a RPP is also required for it to be used in the app.

After I finish the HN page, maybe I can work on the Places#Residential section, or create a subpage for RPPs. For now, I'd like to keep most of the content on this page specific to HNs.
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby dfortney » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:41 pm

This article looks great!

Two comments:
(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
Rank 5 | North Carolina SM | Northern California AM (San Francisco/San Jose)
dfortney
State Manager
State Manager

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm

dfortney wrote:This article looks great!

Two comments:
(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.

Echo the great work and transparency this provides. I agree with these points, but for point #2, this may need to be an amendment to the Places page or just some simple text referring people back to section 5.1.1 in the USA-Places wiki when looking to link a Place Point/Area..
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

[ img ] [ img ] [ img ]
For New Editors | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion