[Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby steveinark » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:37 pm

Reading thru the suggested page update, noted this added bullet point:

* House numbers only route to road segments with names; RPPs will route to any road segment named or not.

This is quickly confirmed when testing the route after an RPP is added at the end of an unnamed private road going to the house.

I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

Since I routinely add the street/city as an alternate, for out-of-city segments with an RPP, I'd never realize that, LOL. If that requirement was eliminated, it would be good to save that additional editing workload.
Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager

Postby roadtechie » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:18 pm

Looks good Nick. Nice work!
-Roadtechie
ImageImageImageImage
Assistant Regional Coordinator | Great Lakes
Local Champ Mentor | USA
Country Manager | USA
roadtechie
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby PleaseDriveFast » Tue Aug 29, 2017 1:39 pm

dfortney wrote:This article looks great!

Two comments:
(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.

Echo the great work and transparency this provides. I agree with these points, but for point #2, this may need to be an amendment to the Places page or just some simple text referring people back to section 5.1.1 in the USA-Places wiki when looking to link a Place Point/Area..
State Manager: NJ | Multi-State Manager: DE, NY, PA | Wazing the Raritan Valley.

Image Image Image
For New Editors | For Closures | For NJ Editors
PleaseDriveFast
State Manager
State Manager

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:53 am

tenetienne wrote:The one thing I didn't see after reading through the thread was how many HNs should be placed on a new road. The first thing I think of is 2, so that Waze will be able to calculate new numbers. Nothing like having to state the obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised that the question would probably come up.

Good question. The safe answer is to add all the HNs that are known. A new development may have gaps in the data, but existing communities should have enough info to fill in most streets.

I'll update the interpolation section to include a qualifier that as many of known HNs should be added, but interpolation can fill in the gaps.
ImageImageImageImage
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Maryland SM | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 3:18 pm

RPP caveat paragraph added to interpolation section.

Thanks for the feedback folks!
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:43 pm

subs5 wrote:I think the Interpolation paragraph should have an addition that Residential place points (RPPs) do not interpolate like House numbers (HNs).

https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ho ... erpolation

Specifically add a new third paragraph "Residential place points (RPPs) are not used for interpolation by Waze. Missing addresses that do not have HNs nearby, will default to third party sources or interpolation from 3rd party sources."

The current third paragraph becomes 4th paragraph. This is the one that starts with "Finally, Waze will estimate some house numbers beyond where house numbers are marked in the WME. "

We can do something like that. Really, I need to get my act together and redo /Places/Residential.

The section above (Rpps vs. Hns) does say:
House numbers are Interpolated; RPPs are not interpolated.
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 11:44 pm

HN in WME Revision Posted to the WME, thank you for your support and suggestions.

House numbers in WME
Difference between revisions of "House Numbers in WME"
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 2:00 pm

dfortney wrote:(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

To clarify, Waze HNs and RPPs are seen as near-equals in the eyes of the automatic processes behind the curtain. There is some technical mumbo-jumbo about distances from each other, and from segments with various matching schemes, but the take away is that HNs are roughly equal to RPPs. If you really want to be sure an address works, add both :D .

dfortney wrote:(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.

PleaseDriveFast wrote:...for point #2, this may need to be an amendment to the Places page or just some simple text referring people back to section 5.1.1 in the USA-Places wiki when looking to link a Place Point/Area..

I don't have any hard facts about the practice of linking non-residential places to the Google address markers. In addition, I think the current version of WME doesn't allow searching for Google address markers in the external providers box. However, my next revision will likely be on RPPs, so I'll try to get solid info added to the Places page.
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:52 pm

steveinark wrote:I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

There are still a number of hidden mechanisms that are required for RPPs to be used, but they aren't fully understood. For example, there is some thought that adjusting a stop point for a RPP is also required for it to be used in the app.

After I finish the HN page, maybe I can work on the Places#Residential section, or create a subpage for RPPs. For now, I'd like to keep most of the content on this page specific to HNs.
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:24 pm

johnsninja58 wrote:Great job Nick, nice update to an important topic

Two Quick question on interpolation:
Do we know if waze interpolates both sides of the street (odd/even)?
Is interpolation only on a per segment basis between house numbers?

As far as we know, it only interpolates numbers between set HNs (not on the opposite side of the road)(I don't think segments have an effect).

But I'll pass those questions on.
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion