[Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby nzahn1 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:51 pm

Its been a few days without comment, so I'm sharing this among a few additional GHOs. I think this one is pretty straight-forward, but want to make sure there aren't any hold outs.
ImageImageImageImage
Rank 6 | US Local Champ | Maryland SM | WME Beta | iOS Beta
WME Profile E-Mail MD Twitter MDForum MDWiki Welcome!
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:17 pm

I've incorporated subs5's suggestions, and have done some page-wide changes to capitalization of non-proper nouns.

Changes: User:Nzahn1/House_Numbers_in_WME
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:57 pm

subs5 wrote:In other areas on your page I made some changes,

removed GMM since it is gone and just said Google Maps

changed wording to residential point Places to be consistent with what you said.

For the Markers section - should we state to add a residential point Place vice a HN? The current guidance is to put PP or AP (as appropriate) but if someone searches for the address it won't use the cosmetic address in the PP or AP.

Note that these are changes to existing sections of the wiki beyond the scope of my initial proposal, but they seem good to me.
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

[Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby nzahn1 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:03 pm

This is a factual update, to bring the HN page current with the best available info as confirmed by staff and champs.

:arrow: Proposed changes: User:Nzahn1/House_Numbers_in_WME (updated link 2017-08-21 12:13 ET)

One old item was removed, and three new sections or subsections were added:

• House numbers vs residential point places
  • Address search hierarchy
  • Interpolation
I'd appreciate any feedback on wordsmithing or formating.
ImageImageImageImage
nzahn1
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby ldriveskier » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:06 pm

subs5 wrote:For the Markers section - should we state to add a residential point Place vice a HN? The current guidance is to put PP or AP (as appropriate) but if someone searches for the address it won't use the cosmetic address in the PP or AP.

I thought I heard this weekend that guidance was to prefer HNs over RPPs for now?
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
MAR MSM, SM WV USA, LAM NE OH
ldriveskier
State Manager
State Manager

Postby kwrigh01 » Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:07 pm

nzahn1 wrote:
steveinark wrote:I may have missed a change, but does the RPP's "city" still have to be added as an alternate on the named address segment, whenever the primary name has a blank city (i.e. rural)?

There are still a number of hidden mechanisms that are required for RPPs to be used, but they aren't fully understood. For example, there is some thought that adjusting a stop point for a RPP is also required for it to be used in the app.

After I finish the HN page, maybe I can work on the Places#Residential section, or create a subpage for RPPs. For now, I'd like to keep most of the content on this page specific to HNs.

I second what steveinark said ... I had an issue with routing due to no alt city in a rural area with RPP. I suggest that we link to the Road Name/City Names page ( https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Road_names/City_names) in the caveats/warnings section as this information is VERY hard to find otherwise ... maybe even adopt making sure that every segment has a city name (either in primary or alt) to take care of many of the routing issues.
ImageImageImage
kwrigh01
Map Raider
Map Raider

Postby Kartografer » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:05 pm

itzwolf wrote:The only thing to note and it may very well be personal opinion, is the lack of title casing when stating House Numbers and Residential Place Points. I’m definitely no English major but they are identified as “RPP” and “HN” so to me “residential point Places”, “residential Point Places”, and simply “house numbers” doesn’t quite look correct. Otherwise if keeping sentence case, there are still a few places to make the changes for page uniformity.

We don't have a lot of uniformity with capitalization in the wiki. Although we seem to agree that sentence case is preferred over title case, disagreement stems from what is a proper noun and what isn't. This was discussed somewhat in this thread but that discussion seems to have stalled. Anyhow, I think we should not capitalize any Waze objects (like place, update request, house number, etc.) and just use unambiguous language, because I don't think they're proper nouns. As for abbreviations, capital letters are used all the time when abbreviating common nouns.

Regardless of capitalization, we really need an update to this page, and this draft looks good! Lots of useful and important information.
LG G4 on TMobile - Android 6.0
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota, Chiang Mai
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby johnsninja58 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:22 pm

Great job Nick, nice update to an important topic i think an update that should go live quickly

Two Quick question on interpolation (neither of these questions should hold up the posting of this update):
Do we know if waze interpolates both sides of the street (odd/even)?
Is interpolation only on a per segment basis between house numbers?
-John
-------
ImageImage
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
Member of the NYC Closure Task Force
johnsninja58

Postby itzwolf » Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:34 pm

nzahn1 wrote:RPP caveat paragraph added to interpolation section.

Thanks for the feedback folks!

Nick,

I think the page updates are good. The only thing I think needs done now is to update the images to match the new interface changes since it is now in production and here to stay. Many people have been confused with the new interface now there is no longer a sub editing window and the buttons/icons have changed dramatically. The exit button location is one that seems to get people thinking they are stuck in the editor since its to the right of the save button and very easily missed. Having the new toolbar and images on the page detailing the locations would help with this.
US Champ / US Country Manager / Florida SM / GA & AL MSM

Map Editing | Getting Started | Edits to Avoid

SER Wiki | SER Discord Chat

itzwolf
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby itzwolf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:18 pm

Kartografer wrote:
itzwolf wrote:The only thing to note and it may very well be personal opinion, is the lack of title casing when stating House Numbers and Residential Place Points. I’m definitely no English major but they are identified as “RPP” and “HN” so to me “residential point Places”, “residential Point Places”, and simply “house numbers” doesn’t quite look correct. Otherwise if keeping sentence case, there are still a few places to make the changes for page uniformity.

We don't have a lot of uniformity with capitalization in the wiki. Although we seem to agree that sentence case is preferred over title case, disagreement stems from what is a proper noun and what isn't. This was discussed somewhat in this thread but that discussion seems to have stalled. Anyhow, I think we should not capitalize any Waze objects (like place, update request, house number, etc.) and just use unambiguous language, because I don't think they're proper nouns. As for abbreviations, capital letters are used all the time when abbreviating common nouns.

Regardless of capitalization, we really need an update to this page, and this draft looks good! Lots of useful and important information.

Quickly read through that thread, thanks for linking it. I am good with sentence case and the initiative to come to a standardization for wiki writing. Seeing the differences from what I am used to reading triggered me to take notice. That said, I also agree this update is very much needed and the information contained needs published for the masses. Thanks to Nick and subs5 for their work here.
US Champ / US Country Manager / Florida SM / GA & AL MSM

Map Editing | Getting Started | Edits to Avoid

SER Wiki | SER Discord Chat

itzwolf
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion