[Page Update] House Numbers in WME  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby itzwolf » Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:40 pm

nzahn1 wrote:I've incorporated subs5's suggestions, and have done some page-wide changes to capitalization of non-proper nouns.

Changes: User:Nzahn1/House_Numbers_in_WME

Nick,

I read through the proposed changes and the information looks good to me. The only thing to note and it may very well be personal opinion, is the lack of title casing when stating House Numbers and Residential Place Points. I’m definitely no English major but they are identified as “RPP” and “HN” so to me “residential point Places”, “residential Point Places”, and simply “house numbers” doesn’t quite look correct. Otherwise if keeping sentence case, there are still a few places to make the changes for page uniformity.
US Champ / US Country Manager / Florida SM / GA & AL MSM

Map Editing | Getting Started | Edits to Avoid

SER Wiki | SER Discord Chat

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
itzwolf
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby dude463 » Thu Dec 28, 2017 5:00 pm

itzwolf wrote:Nick,

I think the page updates are good. The only thing I think needs done now is to update the images to match the new interface changes since it is now in production and here to stay. Many people have been confused with the new interface now there is no longer a sub editing window and the buttons/icons have changed dramatically. The exit button location is one that seems to get people thinking they are stuck in the editor since its to the right of the save button and very easily missed. Having the new toolbar and images on the page detailing the locations would help with this.

I'm going to second having the imagery updated. I've been holding off on sending new editors to this page because of it.
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.
ImageImage
dude463

Postby dspille » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:13 pm

subs5 wrote:I know but since there was a question in MAR about it, thought it might be worth restating in the place that I noted above. If others disagree that is fine, but trying to make it easy for people since this section does say RPPs and HNs at same priority and then goes into interpolation w/o stating not applicable for RPPs.

So do others think it should be added?

I'm fine with restating it in that paragraph if it might help provide more clarity for someone.
Thanks,
dspille
State Manager - Texas
Multi-State Manager - South Central Region

South Central Region Wazeopedia

ImageImageImageImageImageImage
dspille
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dfortney » Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:41 pm

This article looks great!

Two comments:
(1) In the search hierarchy, you have "Waze RPP or house number" at the top of the list. I suggest Waze RPP be top, then follow with Waze house number

(2) There is a growing practice to link a Google address to a place so that Wazers who search by address are led to that place without the need to add a Waze RPP. I'm not sure where this falls in the hierarchy --- I've only seen it used in lieu of a Waze RPP.
Image Image Image Image
Rank 5 | North Carolina SM | Northern California AM (San Francisco/San Jose)
dfortney
State Manager
State Manager

Postby dBsooner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:59 pm

nzahn1 wrote:
tenetienne wrote:The one thing I didn't see after reading through the thread was how many HNs should be placed on a new road. The first thing I think of is 2, so that Waze will be able to calculate new numbers. Nothing like having to state the obvious, but I wouldn't be surprised that the question would probably come up.

Good question. The safe answer is to add all the HNs that are known. A new development may have gaps in the data, but existing communities should have enough info to fill in most streets.

I'll update the interpolation section to include a qualifier that as many of known HNs should be added, but interpolation can fill in the gaps.

I think it should be known, but for those that may not know, we need to state house numbers should not be “guessed”. If you can’t get house numbers from a government agency, WSV, or BOTG, then we should only rely on interpolation. Because if we “guess” at the first and last HN on a new segment, we could inadvertently break routing to that segment by being wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImage
• AM: Northeast Oklahoma, Southeast Florida
• Wiki: WME | Editing Manual | Best Practices | FAQ | Places
• AT&T | iPhone 7+ | iOS 11.2.1 | Waze Latest Beta
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby dBsooner » Sun Nov 05, 2017 9:28 pm

steveinark wrote:Agree with adding the small amount of text, to enhance the clarity. It is a key point to get across to newer editors.

I agree with this as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ImageImageImageImageImage
• AM: Northeast Oklahoma, Southeast Florida
• Wiki: WME | Editing Manual | Best Practices | FAQ | Places
• AT&T | iPhone 7+ | iOS 11.2.1 | Waze Latest Beta
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Postby abc1357 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:13 pm

What is the acceptable format for alphabetical HNs? Is it 1234A, 1234-A, 1234#A, 1234 A (with a space)? Since this is now a USA page, it's best to clarify it.
-- abc1357 --
Area Manager - San Francisco Bay Area

Image Image Image
abc1357
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4

Previous

Return to US Wiki Discussion