[Page Update] Places - Post Office - Area vs Place

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Places - Post Office - Area vs Place

Postby APettyJ » Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:54 am

I favor PO being AP. I find any argument concerning "map clutter" to be wanting, since those advocating it is such probably aren't looking at the map while navigating anyway. Meanwhile, for those who frequently use the Waze map without active navigation aka "free wazing" more detail and landmarks are appreciated. We map fire stations, and they are far less likely to be navigated to than a PO.

On a related note, in naming PO, is there an ongoing discussion thread?
WME L3: Junior Editor
App Beta Tester Waze v 4.22.1.901
Sprint
Samsung Galaxy Note 5
Android 7.0
Philadelphia, PA, USA
APettyJ

[Page Update] Places - Post Office - Area vs Place

Postby dBsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

I have decided to split the thread about Post Offices into three. Primarily to get the already agreed upon data into the WoP while allowing for further discussion on "Area vs Place" and "Naming".

This thread will concentrate on the "Area vs Place". I will copy the pertinent data into this thread below.

You can read the entire thread (which will now only be for Category), if you would like, at: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6&t=239786
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
• AM: Eastern Oklahoma, DFW, Southern Florida
• Wiki: WME | Editing Manual | Best Practices | FAQ | Places
• AT&T | iPhone XS Max | iOS 13.5.1 | Waze Latest Beta
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby dBsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:53 pm

sketch wrote:As for area vs. point, I am from a region where we believe post offices to be worthy of area places, and I agree with this determination. However, I wouldn’t say the same for VPOs and certainly not for CPUs.

ehepner1977 wrote:Personally, I'm not that enamored with the idea of an area place for the post office, but if the consensus of the other regions would be for an area, I won't get too excited.

dBsooner wrote:Area vs Point:
GLR: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
MAR: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
NER: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
NOR: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
NWR: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
PLN: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
SAT: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
SCR: Area
SER: Area
SWR: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point
ATR: Not specified on WoP, so assuming US standard: Point

Obviously I didn't drill down into State / Territory level to look.. But I sure hope all states follow their region's guidance. As you can tell, there are officially (per WoP data) only two regions that recommend area. But, looking through region WoP's, half of them don't publish any data specific to the region.

sketch wrote:I still think full post offices should be Areas.
Last edited by dBsooner on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby dBsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:06 pm

While I can side with some "clutter" (read: PLA's larger than ## ft squared) arguments, I do not feel Post Offices would add "clutter". As sketch mentioned, most towns will have one or two Post Offices while most cities will have several. Referencing the January 2006 publication from the USPS (note: prior to budget cuts, thus less locations and introduction of VPO's), there were "5,622 classified stations and branches served postal customers." Subnote 2: "In 2005, postal customers were served by 3,116 contract stations and branches and 1,019 community post offices." SOURCE. That is on average 112.5 per state. That's very sparse compared to other types of buildings and places we mark AP's. I agree with Sketch about only making full Post Offices area places. VPO's and CPU's often are not dedicated to solely USPS, therefor should not be included as an area place (as they aren't technically a Government building [SCR reference]).

We mark every gas station as an AP (which there is one on almost every corner these days), but we won't do so for government buildings? If I am new to an area, or even in my own area, I sometimes find myself going, "Heh.. Didn't know THAT was there" when seeing something on a map while riding. (Notice I didn't say driving. ;) ) Government buildings are usually important places that almost everyone will visit at least once. Or be asked where the a specific location is, or where the nearest one is. The same goes for a Post Office.

Yes, I am referencing a lot of SCR guidance here as we DO map Government buildings as AP's. I understand national guidance is to make Government buildings PP's, but maybe that's another discussion? If Post Office is agreed it should be an AP, then discussion to make Government buildings the same could be brought up.
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby dBsooner » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 am

After the long discussions we had today in the USA Discord wazeopedia channel, I think it is best if we leave the area vs point up to the regions. There is too far of a separation among everyone to even try to reach a compromise. We made great progress with the most important thing: Naming. I say we table this discussion for another time, another day. Thank you to everyone for your input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby dBsooner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

TheRealOrdizzle wrote:I landed here as a result of recent changes in WMEPH. Not a fan of the Post Office as an area. If we want a label to pop up for these places, why not just have the Waze programmers make this happen on their end instead of creating more work for ourselves?

A “pop up” is different than an AP. A pop up is an ad. Those little flags you see with a logo in it, is an ad.

Making an AP is more about distinction on the map with a glance. Most areas will have less post offices than fire stations, but we map fire stations as AP. Fact is, most people need to know where a Post Office is far more often than a fire station. Quick test: how many people have been to a post office? Now how many have been to a fire station (as an adult, and not on a field trip with your kids)?

It’s really not much work. Map the fence lines. Done. Won’t be touched again.

dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby dBsooner » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:47 pm

APettyJ wrote:I favor PO being AP. I find any argument concerning "map clutter" to be wanting, since those advocating it is such probably aren't looking at the map while navigating anyway. Meanwhile, for those who frequently use the Waze map without active navigation aka "free wazing" more detail and landmarks are appreciated. We map fire stations, and they are far less likely to be navigated to than a PO.

On a related note, in naming PO, is there an ongoing discussion thread?

Agreed.

You found the naming thread. :)

dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby dspille » Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:15 pm

I prefer post offices as area, but I would be fine maintaining regional differences on this issue.
Thanks,
dspille
Country Manager, Multi-State Manager - South Central Region

SCR Wiki
dspille
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby ehepner1977 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:14 pm

juliansean wrote:I think that a post office is a government building and since we use area for government buildings I am in favor of an AP.

Currently, the national table has government as a point. That guidance may be different in SCR.

To respectfully disagree with Sketch, a courthouse is listed as a point, and while used less often (unless you're a lawyer), I can't see a post office needing to be more visible than a courthouse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SM: Missouri
ARC: PLN
LC: USA
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
ehepner1977
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby FzNk » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:43 pm

I'd argue that post offices don't consistently make good points of reference at all. There's no need for a post office to advertise its location so the most you'll generally be able to recognize is perhaps a small sign and the blue drop boxes if they happen to be near the road. Worse than that is when a post office includes a processing center which can take up a full city block but looks like a commercial distribution center from any direction other than the front or corner that contains the retail lobby & PO Boxes.

They're just not on the same level as identifiable landmarks like fire stations, gas stations, schools, etc.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion