Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by ehepner1977
juliansean wrote:I think that a post office is a government building and since we use area for government buildings I am in favor of an AP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Currently, the national table has government as a point. That guidance may be different in SCR.

To respectfully disagree with Sketch, a courthouse is listed as a point, and while used less often (unless you're a lawyer), I can't see a post office needing to be more visible than a courthouse.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
ehepner1977  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by FzNk
I'd argue that post offices don't consistently make good points of reference at all. There's no need for a post office to advertise its location so the most you'll generally be able to recognize is perhaps a small sign and the blue drop boxes if they happen to be near the road. Worse than that is when a post office includes a processing center which can take up a full city block but looks like a commercial distribution center from any direction other than the front or corner that contains the retail lobby & PO Boxes.

They're just not on the same level as identifiable landmarks like fire stations, gas stations, schools, etc.
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta

Post by GeekDriverPeaceful
I do not see any strong reason for having Post Offices be mapped as Area Places. To me, they are not significant landmarks, and to be honest, most of them look like a typical business especially in plazas, strip malls, or urban areas. As others said, more Area Places being mapped, the more cluttered the map display will become.
GeekDriverPeaceful
Send a message

Post by HillsSnackBar
I landed here as a result of recent changes in WMEPH. Not a fan of the Post Office as an area. If we want a label to pop up for these places, why not just have the Waze programmers make this happen on their end instead of creating more work for ourselves?
HillsSnackBar
Send a message

Post by juliansean
I think that a post office is a government building and since we (SCR) use area for government buildings I am in favor of an AP.

juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Last edited by juliansean on Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by juliansean
Updated my post. Thank you.

juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by juliansean
In the rural areas, I think having the AP is a great idea. In the large cities, it's just one more building among the sea of buildings and one more AP among the sea of AP's. That being said, for stand alone post offices I advocate for AP since most of the US is rural and let large cities do an exception.
juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM

Post by n4dog
I prefer that Post Offices be an Area. Along with the courthouse. They are no more clutter than all of the PLA's
n4dog  
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message
Griff - N4DOG
Alabama State Manager

Post by PhantomSoul
I think this is kind of subjective by location, most of which will probably make sense to keep as point. Does a particular post office location - building, grounds, or otherwise - stand out in a way, compared to its surroundings, that would be recognizable as a landmark if you saw a shaded polygon with its name on the map? This is kind of my baseline criteria for area vs point for any type of place, except of course, the ones with other functional requirements, like gas stations or parking lots.

Frankly, I'm also not sure what being a government or otherwise public building has anything to do with anything regarding area vs. point.
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message