[Page Update] Places - Post Office - Naming  Topic is solved

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[Page Update] Places - Post Office - Naming

Postby dBsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm

I have decided to split the thread about Post Offices into three. Primarily to get the already agreed upon data into the WoP while allowing for further discussion on "Area vs Place" and "Naming".

This thread will concentrate on the "Naming". I will copy the pertinent data into this thread below.

Obviously the PNH mods will need to approve any changes to the national naming standards, but this will give them some good data to evaluate and assist in their decision.

You can read the entire thread (which will now only be for Category), if you would like, at: https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6&t=239786
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
• AM: Eastern Oklahoma, DFW, Southern Florida
• Wiki: WME | Editing Manual | Best Practices | FAQ | Places
• AT&T | iPhone XS Max | iOS 12 | Waze Latest Beta
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Re: [Page Update] Places - Post Office - Naming

Postby dBsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:55 pm

sketch wrote:I think it's safe to say here that almost all regions via PNH have approved this name format:

"Post Office – [Station Name]"

We have not addressed the issue of CPU or VPO and I have not researched it, but I do think it would be helpful to include this designation in the name. The USPS lists a VPO as for example "VPO Edgard" and I don't think there's any reason to do any different. "Post Office – VPO Edgard"?

sketch wrote: I’m not sure if the general public will know what a “Contract Postal Unit” is exactly but I’m sure they won’t know what “CPU” means even in context. Therefore, I propose, for the time being,

“Post Office – [Station]”
“Village Post Office – [Station]”
“Contract Postal Unit – [Station]”

Where the station name does not include the abbreviations VPO or CPU.

ehepner1977 wrote:Donning my PNH mod from the PLN hat, I agree with Sketch on naming and inclusion of CPU and VPO. There was some discussion regarding an alt of USPS - Station, in order to cover the occasional search for that variation.

dBsooner wrote:I think having "USPS - Station" as well as "United States Postal Service - Station" as alt names would be beneficial for the exact reason you stated. In case someone searches by those keywords.

jr1982jr wrote:I would argue that nobody will type United States Postal Service on their phone, EVER. Post Office or USPS are much more likely. Normally I am in the camp of avoiding GMaps searches but in those few full typed searches, they will be handled.

ehepner1977 wrote:Also, if we leverage the GLink as it's designed/intended, any sadist willing to type out United States Postal Service will still get the Waze result.

sketch wrote:For what it's worth, PNH mods all agreed on adding "USPS" as the alt name.

Nagamasa wrote:My thought it to have naming like:
USPS: Redmond
USPS: Redmond West CPO
USPS: Nowhere VPO

(Again, colon so that area places don't have a line starting with a dash.)

sketch wrote:Post Office is what most people will search, and including it as the start of the primary name will mean that instant search finds them well. Plus, that's what the building / location is called, not "USPS".

I'm ambivalent about colon vs. dash. I agree starting a line on an area with a dash is not ideal, but I'm not sure that's reason enough. Dash makes more sense to me intuitively.

And again, using VPO and CPU abbreviations is not user-friendly as most are not familiar with those abbreviations (I wasn't before this week).

I incorporate by reference my previous suggestion.

Nagamasa wrote:"VPO", "Village Post Office", "CPU", "Contract Postal Unit" are all terms a user is unfamiliar with, hence my preference for it to be at the end (or not at all); they're also fairly long it would obscure most of the 1-line for the autocompleted results. We don't specify Starbucks (or AT&T) that are corporate owned or a licensed store (inside a Target, airport, or college).

Perhaps then:
Post Office: Redmond
Post Office: Redmond QFC CPU
Post Office: nowhere VPO

(BTW: My experience with search that if there is a category name in the search term, including "Post" and "Post office", it will return results only in that category. Your search results page is also titled "Post Office" instead. In other words, typing "Post Office" will return all post office results even named USPS.)

jr1982jr wrote:Currently, the script supports the - and there are other places that follow this format (such as: Hotel - Location). While hotels could be changed to match, why not follow the same schema?
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby whathappened15 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:45 pm

I occasionally see post offices in Waze including the zip code, using the format "Post Office - 12345 Anytown"

Do we see any benefit to including the zip code?
Ed / whathappened15
Tennessee State Manager
USA Country Manager

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
whathappened15
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:40 pm

How about just "Post Office - [city name] [identifier]" where [identifier] can be the substation name, zip code, or whatever other location-based attribute is locally the most-known way ;of identifying that particular post office location?

For starters, where I live, no one calls it USPS or United States Postal Service. Ever. It's just the post office. Further, no one is going to type United States Postal Service into their phones. In north NJ, you can as well walk to a nearby post office in the time it takes to type that into your phone.

That said, besides the city a post office is in, the next best identifier, in my mind, is its address, namely what street it's on, which Waze already displays in its results. Sure it may have a substation name, and we could probably include that in the primary name, but really, unless it's the location you do most of your postal business at, who really knows those anyway? Same for zip codes - who really knows any except their own? I know banks rely on that assumption when thy challenge you for your zip code at the gas station...
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby dBsooner » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:01 pm

I included all "pertinent" information from the previous thread for reference. I am good with not having "United States Postal Service - *" as an alt name. However, I do think "USPS - *" could be included as this has already been agreed upon by PNH mods.

The reason I think we should at least have "Post Office - Station" is it gives the least amount of information, yet still make it distinguishable from the rest of the results. The longer you make the name, the more room in takes up in the search results (and Map if it's an AP). Further, the length of the name could get very long... "Post Office - Oklahoma City - Martin Luther King Jr Station" for example (yes, that is a real station in OKC.) Sure, Abbreviate to "Post Office - OKC - MLK Jr Station" or some alternate of that. But, how about "Post Office - Oklahoma City - Reno Meridian Station". Again, you're going to get into very long names the more you try to include in the name.

I do not see a reason to include the Zip Code.. At all. As stated by PhantomSoul, who really ever knows what zip code they are actually in? Why is that pertinent in a search result? If you have to know a specific zip code post office, you'll probably either be from the area, have a letter saying to go to X post office, etc. So having that in the results from Waze would be moot. However, having the Station name would at least help you more quickly distinguish which result is which. Having the City name wouldn't do any good if it's the only thing included.. In Tulsa (small city in comparison to most urban metro areas), there are no less than 5 Post Offices that would all be in "Tulsa City Limits", thus would have "Post Office - Tulsa" in the name. That, to me, is useless info. I know it's in Tulsa by looking at the address, approximate location, etc. Same can't be said for suburban areas with many converging city fence lines.

I stand by having "Post Office - Station" as the name to get the most amount of USEFUL (read identifiable / distinguishable) information in the least amount of space.
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

[Page Update] Places - Post Office - Naming

Postby dBsooner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Updated https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/User:DBsooner/Places/Post_Office with a proposal for naming convention. In brief:
Naming
  • USA - Except New York City (see below):
    • Full Service Post Office:
      • Primary Name: Post Office - [Station]
      • Alternate Name: USPS
      • Alternate Name: [ZIP]
    • Contract Postal Unit (CPU):
      • Primary Name: Post Office - CPU [Station]
    • Village Post Office (VPO):
      • Primary Name: Post Office - VPO [Station]
      Substitute [Station] with the official name of the station from USPS.
      Substitute [ZIP] with zip code the Post Office Serves. If serves multiple, include Alt Names for each.
      Note: USPS usually denotes the station as a VPO (Village Post Office) or CPU (Contract Postal Unit) in the Station name on their site, please make sure to include that in the name above, even if it isn't in the official station name, but is listed as one or the other. (Example: Post Office - CPU Fordham University)
  • New York City:
    USES TRANSCLUSION / COLLAPSIBLE
    • USPS: Start the name with "Post Office" and the zip code, if there is a station specific name, put that after the zip code separated by a hyphen (-). Add alternate names for the "USPS", and the ZIP code. Include "CPU" or "VPO" if they are listed in the name by the USPS.
      Examples:
      • Pri: "Post Office 10001 - James A Farley"
        Alt: "USPS"
        Alt: "10001"
      • Pri: "Post Office 10458 - CPU Fordham University"
        Alt: "10458"
      • Pri: "Post Office 10469"
        Alt: "10469"
      • Pri: "Post Office 11213 - St John's Pl"
        Alt: "11213"
Description
  • Include the first line as the City, State and Zip Code
    Ex: Tulsa, OK 74011
External Source Link
  • Be sure to link the place to the Google place.
Last edited by dBsooner on Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:35 am, edited 6 times in total.
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby sketch » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:19 pm

I will propose this slight variation:

Naming
  • Full Service Post Office:
    • Primary Name: Post Office - [Station]
  • Contract Postal Unit (CPU):
    • Primary Name: Post Office - CPU [Station]
  • Village Post Office (VPO):
    • Primary Name: Post Office - VPO [Station]
Substitute [Station] with the official name of the station from USPS.*

Note: Some states do not conform to this naming convention at this time. Please consult your state or regional wiki page (see left sidebar).

* I will note that CPU and VPO station names do typically start with "CPU" and "VPO" respectively, but I'm noting this to be sure they're included on the off chance they missed one, or something.

For better or worse, "Post Office" being first in the name is crucial for instant search to work properly.
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • usa country manager • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby dBsooner » Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:52 pm

Draft has been submitted to PNH mods for review. Thank you everyone for your input!
dBsooner
Map Editor - Level 5
Map Editor - Level 5

Postby johnsninja58 » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:20 am

Thank you everyone for the hard work here. This is a topic that is important and the work done here reflects the many needs of a national community. Hopefully everything will be finalized soon.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby tonestertm » Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:34 am

Please correct the inconsistency in the spelling of ZIP (correct usage is all caps).

Waze Mobile App searches for "post office" will find Waze places only if they have the Post Office category or have a Google link to a Post Office. Thus, it is important we limit the amount of places we add the Post Office category to.

This paragraph has problems. The app can most certainly find post offices without the PO category, in instant results. The problem is, when the search term "post office" is pushed to a full search, the app will then conduct a "category search" and return any Waze place which has the category, "POST OFFICE" assigned. Since the vast majority of people searching for a post office are, in fact, looking for a USPS facility, not (for instance) a shipping store, and the latter tend to clog results, we must restrict the usage of the POST OFFICE category to only genuine USPS retail facilities.

p.s. why are Mobile and App capitalized?
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion