Post by mhh60
Searching for the Springfield Post Office in an undetermined state . . . do I sense the inclusion of Waze in an episode of The Simpsons? :lol:
mhh60
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
https://j.mp/2wVQ4lFhttps://image.ibb.co/mAzmyU/NYC_UR_Proj.png
SM NM | Booster GUY | AM GU,MP,AK,PR,KS,PCN

Post by Michelle-S
For the most part, I really like all the work that has gone in to the Post Office Guidance. After giving several Post Offices some hard research, I have one refinement to suggest to the Post Office Wazo:
Some Zip Codes contain more than one full-service USPS Office (not including CPO, VPO or Kisoks). I think the guidance should allow for the "- [Station]" to be added to the alternate names of USPS and the Zip code
Such as:
USPS - HRCOE
USPS - Fort Knox
40121 - HRCOE
40121 - Fort Knox

I'm posting the rest of my comments to the Military Forum
Michelle-S
Send a message

Post by PhantomSoul
How about just "Post Office - [city name] [identifier]" where [identifier] can be the substation name, zip code, or whatever other location-based attribute is locally the most-known way ;of identifying that particular post office location?

For starters, where I live, no one calls it USPS or United States Postal Service. Ever. It's just the post office. Further, no one is going to type United States Postal Service into their phones. In north NJ, you can as well walk to a nearby post office in the time it takes to type that into your phone.

That said, besides the city a post office is in, the next best identifier, in my mind, is its address, namely what street it's on, which Waze already displays in its results. Sure it may have a substation name, and we could probably include that in the primary name, but really, unless it's the location you do most of your postal business at, who really knows those anyway? Same for zip codes - who really knows any except their own? I know banks rely on that assumption when thy challenge you for your zip code at the gas station...
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor
Send a message

Post by quentinxs
Should the primary name for Post Offices on military bases or other limited access areas then be "Post Office - [Base/Installation Name]" or "Post Office ([Base/Installation Name] access only)"?
Military Bases - Wazeopedia wrote:Naming for Commercial Places
Add (*Post Name* access only) behind commonly named places, (i.e. Food/Chain, Post Office, Bank, Golf Course, etc), so that people without base access are warned when they do a search; Example: "GNC (Tinker AFB access only)".
quentinxs
Send a message

Post by sketch
I will propose this slight variation:

Naming
  • Full Service Post Office:
    • Primary Name: Post Office - [Station]
    • Alternate Name: USPS
  • Contract Postal Unit (CPU):
    • Primary Name: Post Office - CPU [Station]
  • Village Post Office (VPO):
    • Primary Name: Post Office - VPO [Station]
Substitute [Station] with the official name of the station from USPS.*

Note: Some states do not conform to this naming convention at this time. Please consult your state or regional wiki page (see left sidebar).

* I will note that CPU and VPO station names do typically start with "CPU" and "VPO" respectively, but I'm noting this to be sure they're included on the off chance they missed one, or something.

For better or worse, "Post Office" being first in the name is crucial for instant search to work properly.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by sketch
For what it's worth, I don't think it is particularly necessary to have the state abbreviation in the name in such an example, but I also don't think it necessarily hurts anything to keep the state abbreviation in the station name, and I would imagine the latter allows the guidance to be written more simply (because you don't have to carve out an exception for it). It's not like this is so common it'll be "cluttering" up post office names all over the place, either.

edit I misunderstood the context of your post. Serves me right for not reading carefully. I agree with those who have posted before me and see no reason to modify the station name in any such way. USPS doesn't include the state in the station name (which I [re]discovered by going to see what USPS says for, and what I had done with, the Springfield in Louisiana), and the search interface makes it quite clear.
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
the guidance linked above is now almost a decade old, but the link gives me a laugh every time i see it, so it stays (:
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • and more • new orleans

bye bye fuelly badge! i'm an EV guy now!

Post by steveinark
Since the app is being often referred to as the WMA by more and more editors, I'd think the capitalization of "Waze Mobile App" evolved from that. Maybe adding a parenthetical "(WMA)" after it would take care of the capitalization police, and actually help new readers. :D
(EDIT: After re-reading my post, realized my comments might seem to be disagreeing with tonestertm. Not my intent. It was just my poor attempt at humor.)

(Personally, I keep thinking wildlife management area. :lol: )
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Last edited by steveinark on Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)

Post by tonestertm
Please correct the inconsistency in the spelling of ZIP (correct usage is all caps).
Waze Mobile App searches for "post office" will find Waze places only if they have the Post Office category or have a Google link to a Post Office. Thus, it is important we limit the amount of places we add the Post Office category to.
This paragraph has problems. The app can most certainly find post offices without the PO category, in instant results. The problem is, when the search term "post office" is pushed to a full search, the app will then conduct a "category search" and return any Waze place which has the category, "POST OFFICE" assigned. Since the vast majority of people searching for a post office are, in fact, looking for a USPS facility, not (for instance) a shipping store, and the latter tend to clog results, we must restrict the usage of the POST OFFICE category to only genuine USPS retail facilities.

p.s. why are Mobile and App capitalized?
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/y7f2gsiomkpxbe6/CA_SM_Rocket_Shear_Alpha_50.png?dl=0
ARC for SW Region, USA
Global Champ, US Local Champ
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!

Post by voludu2
We've been having a lively discussion of this in the #pennsylvania channel of the NOR discord server.
What should one put in the description if the post office serves several ZIP codes?
All of the ZIPcodes? As a comma-separated list?
voludu2
Send a message
Last edited by voludu2 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.