[Page Update] Places > Area Place Size

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[Page Update] Places > Area Place Size

Postby gOyDp » Fri Oct 20, 2017 4:48 pm

Ref.: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Places#Area_Place_size

"Other area places, like University campuses and large shopping malls, include more than one component, such as one or more buildings, open areas, roads, and parking. In this case, it is often most useful to Wazers to map to the edges of the property. This will usually show the area and its label in the mobile app even when zoomed out."

Currently the Wazeopedia dictates that places like shopping malls should map the entire property to the edges. With the new-ish PLAs being added to these areas, we can find ourselves mapping some clutter and confusion for Wazers if we continue to map the entire property line.

I firmly believe that we should map the building for a shopping mall and not the entire property. This will allow a clear distinction between the mall and the PLAs surrounding the property. Since the wzo currently states otherwise, I would like to see this be updated to guide editors to map only buildings.

The mapped building still shows up in the app in a very clear way and provides a very distinct separation from the PLAs surrounding. I have two examples. You will see that the University Mall example provides a much better view for the Wazer.

Note: All of the PLAs are set to Restricted.

Westfield Citrus Park Town Center (entire area mapped)
PL
As it shows in the app
[ img ]

University Mall (only building mapped)
PL
As it shows in the app
[ img ]
Last edited by gOyDp on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
Thanks,

Randy "gOyDp"
FL, Area Manager, Mentor
SER Reference
SER Discord Server
Waze Mentor
gOyDp
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Re: [Page Discussion] Places > Area Place Size

Postby ardan74 » Fri Oct 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Per the Wazeopedia for Parking Lot areas: " Care must be taken that stacked areas like this do not obscure each other. You do not want two areas with identical boundaries stacked on top of each other as it will be hard to notice or select the right one for editing in WME".

This is a conflict with the guidance of area places. One cannot avoid stacking if the Area Place guidance is to edit to the 'property line'
ardan74
State Manager
State Manager

Postby tenetienne » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:59 pm

I have to agree with gOyDp that it's time for a change. With more functionality in the app, i.e. searching for PLAs and who knows what else is in the future planning, we are moving into a more complicated map. Before, mapping to the edge of the property of a mall, campus, etc, made sense. The Wazer had somewhat of an idea where they would end up in the highlighted area just because of the stop point.
Now, with PLAs being added to the map, I believe it is actually easier for the Wazer to determine where they want to end up for their destination. The front door, or a specific PLA. Granted, PLAs are only slowly being added to the map, but we've all noticed how quickly they have been added by folks who aren't your regular editor. For a generic driver, "Hey, I can get more points this way!" they are adding parking lots and probably don't have interest in becoming an editor.
And really, how much harder is it for the more advanced editor to modify a large area? Sure, it takes a couple of minutes depending on how complicated the area is, but it's nothing spectacular.
Personally, I'd rather see the actual mall/building size of something with the associated PLA as individual items on the map than one big huge place area designating an entire complex. It gives me a better idea of where I might want to park and how much walking may be involved. With the large place area, I haven't a clue. And especially with some of the mall sizes? Sheesh!
tenetienne
Area Manager
Area Manager

Postby n4dog » Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:32 am

I just wish we could turn the PLA layer off on the app. I have no need for it and it clutters up the map.
Griff - N4DOG
Alabama State Manager
n4dog
State Manager
State Manager

Postby gOyDp » Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:40 pm

Very well put. :)
--
Thanks,

Randy "gOyDp"
FL, Area Manager, Mentor
SER Reference
SER Discord Server
Waze Mentor
gOyDp
Waze Mentor
Waze Mentor

Postby turnertr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:38 pm

I have been doing this suggestion in practice for a little while and agree it's time that we should adjust this to go to the building rather than the fenceline where parking lots have been mapped.

I can see exceptions to this rule, i.e. parks, gas stations, etc. But for most business mappings, it does make more sense.
Oklahoma/Texas State Manager
Wazing since January 2014
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]

iPhone 7 Plus, AT&T, iOS 12β
South Central Regional Wiki
Oklahoma Wiki Page
South Central Region Discord
turnertr
State Manager
State Manager

Postby ehepner1977 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 4:06 pm

I'll throw my vote in for pulling shopping malls and the like back to the buildings and not overlapping PLAs. As others have said, I believe it would provide for a more visually appealing experience.
SM: Missouri
ARC: PLN
LC: USA
[ img ][ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ]
ehepner1977
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby steveinark » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:28 pm

It does appear that pulling back the area place to the brick and mortar, is appropriate in some instances. At least for LARGE area places, like Malls and Shopping Centers. Now that PLAs are mapped, it makes sense. But the discussion needs to consider the differences that exist for smaller areas, like government buildings, police, fire, etc.

However, some large areas, by the nature of their layout, would need to stay unchanged, with PLAs within those confines. Universities and schools come to mind.
[ img ]
Arkansas State Mgr (SM)
South Central Region Multi-State Mgr (MSM): AR + Louisiana - Mississippi - Oklahoma - Texas
Steve (Eureka Springs, AR)
steveinark
State Manager
State Manager

Postby n4dog » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:15 pm

I still think we should stop making every shopping area into an Area Place. That would help out a lot.
Griff - N4DOG
Alabama State Manager
n4dog
State Manager
State Manager

Postby RussPA » Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:37 pm

n4dog wrote:I still think we should stop making every shopping area into an Area Place. That would help out a lot.

I agree. I find little value in seeing all these shopping center AP all over the map. Most shopping centers are large and do not have identifying signs all over the place, so to me they don't serve as useful landmarks. If not remove them completely, then at least pull back to the actual building outline. I just find my app screen cluttered with all these things that don't really help me.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ] [ img ]
Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Local Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator
RussPA
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion