[Page Update] Places > Area Place Size

Post by
Ref.: https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pl ... Place_size

"Other area places, like University campuses and large shopping malls, include more than one component, such as one or more buildings, open areas, roads, and parking. In this case, it is often most useful to Wazers to map to the edges of the property. This will usually show the area and its label in the mobile app even when zoomed out."

Currently the Wazeopedia dictates that places like shopping malls should map the entire property to the edges. With the new-ish PLAs being added to these areas, we can find ourselves mapping some clutter and confusion for Wazers if we continue to map the entire property line.

I firmly believe that we should map the building for a shopping mall and not the entire property. This will allow a clear distinction between the mall and the PLAs surrounding the property. Since the wzo currently states otherwise, I would like to see this be updated to guide editors to map only buildings.

The mapped building still shows up in the app in a very clear way and provides a very distinct separation from the PLAs surrounding. I have two examples. You will see that the University Mall example provides a much better view for the Wazer.

Note: All of the PLAs are set to Restricted.

Westfield Citrus Park Town Center (entire area mapped)
PL
As it shows in the app
https://image.prntscr.com/image/20dtBqW ... FxMswA.png

University Mall (only building mapped)
PL
As it shows in the app
https://image.prntscr.com/image/9GOEKMg ... bP1O7A.png

POSTER_ID:17426666

Send a message
Last edited by gOyDp on Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
With new PLR guidance. I didn’t know if this discussion should be revisited.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

With new PLR guidance. I didn’t know if this discussion should be revisited.
Send a message
-John
-------
VT - State Manager

subs5 wrote:Since Waze has a minimum size limit for the AP to show in the app, how is the proposed change going to affect smaller shopping centers, schools, and urgent care facilities? Will we now have a lot of APs that aren't displayed on the app? If so should they just be mapped at PPs?
I was wondering the same thing recently too where the Urgent Care in a strip mall that was mapped didn't show in the app because it was too small. Even if it did show it would probably look silly and since Urgent Cares seam to be popping up on every street corner these days, almost as bad as Starbucks, are we getting value by making the small free standing Urgent Cares Area Place?
Send a message
-John
-------
VT - State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Can you propose specific language that should be substituted in that section? I don't see any opposition, but it would be good to agree on something specific
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

I like this idea a lot. Anyone got any specific draft language proposed for it?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

subs5 wrote:I don't have a problem with the proposal to change the shopping mall from entire mall to just the building(s). I do feel that this will only really change the display in the app and not have an effect on routing. So would think that it would not be too high of priority so should it be mentioned in the wazeopedia draft to change the outline when editing for other reasons? Even if just adding the mall's PLAs?
I don't think we should include guidance on how to prioritize this, and I'm generally opposed to "only fix y when fixing x or z" statements. I feel like it's best to let people set their own priorities, and if they are doing a lot of useless stuff, mentors and SMs can inform them. But I understand that others may view the wiki with a different mindset than I do. Anyhow, most aspects of place editing do not affect routing, so this is just part of our style guidelines.

So how about changing the area place size section to read:
Area Place Size wrote:Area places will show up in the Waze mobile app if they are large enough.

Some area places have a single recognizable structure useful as a visual reference for Wazers as they approach this destination. These can be drawn to approximate the structure's footprint or outline, as long as this is large enough to show in the mobile application. Examples include landmark buildings like the Pentagon building, as well as large shopping malls or arenas that are constructed as single buildings.

Other area places, like university campuses and "town center" style shopping malls, include more than one component, such as one or more buildings, open areas, roads, and parking. In this case, it is often most useful to Wazers to map to the edges of the property. This will usually show the area and its label in the mobile app even when zoomed out.

Guidelines for drawing a few specific categories are more detailed and should be reviewed to become more familiar with them:

*Gas stations
*Parking lots
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

subs5 wrote:People don't refer to "the Pentagon building". Recommend changing that to Examples include landmark buildings like the Pentagon, as well as large shopping malls or stadiums/arenas that are constructed as single buildings.

I am just seeing too many PURs for changing the edge of a corner in a park or school. We are volunteers here with more than enough to do already.

So what is the difference between a shopping mall and an elementary/middle/high school? We map them to the boundary. To me it is better to be consistent across the board. "Area places are to the property boundary." Much simpler than "Area places are to the property boundary except for shopping centers and stadiums/arenas."
Yeah I almost just wrote "the Pentagon." The difference is schools have one entrance, and the building itself is not a useful visual reference since you can only come in one way. Malls and such are generally surrounded by parking lots with multiple entrances. Being able to see where different anchor stores are on the map, for example, would help people not to get lost.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

DwarfLord wrote:I didn't see anyone mention a potential key factor regarding the Shopping Mall area place.

My experience with the app (repeated just now, March 7 2018) is that it will display a Shopping Mall Area Place as an option under "where to park" -- exactly as if it were a Parking Lot area place.

I rush to admit that I have NO clue what is going on in the back end, whether this is intentional on Waze's part, where they plan to go with it, what it means for the use of PLAs in association with Shopping Malls, etc. etc. etc.

But, I would be concerned that if a shopping-mall area place is reduced in size to comply with new wiki language without, at the same time, the addition of one or more PLAs to compensate, it may result in poorer app behavior for end users.
I'm not seeing this with any malls I try to navigate to, no matter whether I am searching or driving there and looking at parking lot bubbles. How to reproduce? And in any case, we already tell people to add parking lots at malls, and I'm not sure how it's relevant to the size of the place anyway.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

subs5 wrote:To me having one simple large area seems to work visually in the app.

You can have PLAs layered if desired over the shopping mall, university, high/middle/elementary school, or hospital. They do not add any confusion to my drive.

Many schools, not all but many, have multiple entrances for where you go to park. Front might have two and one back entrance. Universities and hospitals both have parking lots and many entrances scattered throughout their campus. Are we going to have to cut out the PLAs in each of the universities/hospitals? Some shopping centers that are modeled after destinations also have the parking lots sprinkled around the area. Parking Lot Areas are not a finished product and will probably change a few more times prior to being finished and fully integrated into the final polished product.
We're not sure what the future holds for parking lot areas, but it appears that staff have deliberately decided to display parking lots with similar (or the same, if large lots) colors as other area places in default mode (what almost all non-editing, normal Wazers use). That makes them indistinguishable when stacked on a big area place. By the way, when we are considering the visual impact of how we map things, we should base our decisions on the default color scheme.

That said, it's not about cutting out PLAs. It's about following the building outline to provide better orientation for people, where this is helpful. I will repost my suggested wording below with a few changes based on later comments:
Area Place Size wrote:Area places will show up in the Waze mobile app if they are large enough.

Some area places have a single recognizable structure useful as a visual reference for Wazers as they approach this destination from various directions. These can be drawn to approximate the structure's footprint or outline, as long as this is large enough to show in the mobile application. Examples include landmark buildings like the Pentagon, as well as large shopping malls, hospitals or stadiums/arenas that are constructed as single buildings.

Other area places, like medical or university campuses and "town center" style shopping malls, include more than one component, such as one or more buildings, open areas, roads, and parking. In this case, it is often most useful to Wazers to map to the edges of the property. This will usually show the area and its label in the mobile app even when zoomed out.

Guidelines for drawing a few specific categories are more detailed and should be reviewed to become more familiar with them:
  • Gas stations
    [*Parking lots
  • Airports
  • Hospitals
After reading back through all the comments on this thread, I'm thinking this sums up most of the opinions expressed here. Is that correct?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

DwarfLord wrote: The app's way of offering PLAs has changed, but it's still doing this with my test case. If I route to the "Red Apple Cafe" in Aptos, California,, the app offers a "P" button. If I press on it, I get the screen below. Note that the Deer Park Marketplace is an Area Place with only one category -- Shopping Center. The stop point shown by the app corresponds to the stop point for the Shopping Center Area Place.

I think this behavior is important to account for, for two reasons:
  • If editors have added PLAs in addition to a Shopping Center AP, the app may offer two (or more) parking destinations that are effectively the same destination -- giving the user redundant choices.
  • If the Shopping Center's Area Place has been reduced in outline to match only the buildings, Waze may nevertheless still offer it as a parking destination; but now the stop point will probably not be most appropriate as a parking destination.
Deer Park Marketplace.png
I can see this too, that Waze thinks Deer Park Marketplace is the most popular lot by Wazers driving to Red Apple Café. So maybe Waze has machine-learned that this is a parking destination, because it covers parking lots, and there are not associated parking lot places here. Nick found a mall in MD that did this.

Here's the thing though, if shopping center category is used for parking detection, I'm still not seeing how this means we shouldn't reduce the area place size of certain malls. In fact, it could mean that we should reduce their size in order to stop Waze from detecting parking in them and offering them as redundant parking choices.

Anyway, the stop point of the mall was never appropriate as a parking destination, and people should add a separate stop point anyway (as was done in this case) rather than relying on the center of the polygon, so changing the size wouldn't make a difference.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio