[Page Update] Places > Area Place Size

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] Places > Area Place Size

Postby Kartografer » Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:28 pm

I still don't really get the reason for DL's two remaining bullet points. The section is about what shape to use for area places, not whether a place should be point or area. The overlapping places section already covers how places that would normally be drawn as areas can be points inside a bigger area, and an area place would need a name, no matter how it's drawn.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:13 pm

Kartografer wrote:I still don't really get the reason for DL's two remaining bullet points. The section is about what shape to use for area places, not whether a place should be point or area. The overlapping places section already covers how places that would normally be drawn as areas can be points inside a bigger area, and an area place would need a name, no matter how it's drawn.

You're correct that the proposed additions may already be found elsewhere in the documentation. My concern is that very simple guidance that says "if X, you may do Y" may be interpreted by some readers as overruling guidance found elsewhere.

For example, what if an editor wants to add an Area Place for a free-standing Costco store. Existing guidance explicitly says that this gets a Point Place, for at least two reasons -- the Great Table lists shopping as a Point Place, and besides it is a retailer and thus cannot qualify as a landmark. But lo! Here is a sentence that seems to say it's OK, as long as the building is big enough and is a visual reference.

I have many unhappy memories of trying to explain to new editors why their Area Places were noncompliant. Granted some of them didn't read the guidance at all, but others had and had gotten a different idea about what it meant. These kinds of discussions can involve drama, hard feelings, and sometimes lost editors.

So, as long as the proposed qualifications are consistent with what we're already saying elsewhere, it seems a helpful precaution to add them.

If it's still considered too much, I would be OK with just a few words saying it's OK "subject to the constraints on Area Places discussed elsewhere in this article."
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:10 pm

I would be in favor of "subject to the constraints on area places discussed elsewhere on this page." The section is about how to draw a place that has already been qualified as an area place, and we want to be clear but not redundant
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby johnsninja58 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:35 pm

subs5 wrote:Since Waze has a minimum size limit for the AP to show in the app, how is the proposed change going to affect smaller shopping centers, schools, and urgent care facilities? Will we now have a lot of APs that aren't displayed on the app? If so should they just be mapped at PPs?

I was wondering the same thing recently too where the Urgent Care in a strip mall that was mapped didn't show in the app because it was too small. Even if it did show it would probably look silly and since Urgent Cares seam to be popping up on every street corner these days, almost as bad as Starbucks, are we getting value by making the small free standing Urgent Cares Area Place?
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby Kartografer » Fri May 24, 2019 8:23 pm

johnsninja58 wrote:
subs5 wrote:Since Waze has a minimum size limit for the AP to show in the app, how is the proposed change going to affect smaller shopping centers, schools, and urgent care facilities? Will we now have a lot of APs that aren't displayed on the app? If so should they just be mapped at PPs?

I was wondering the same thing recently too where the Urgent Care in a strip mall that was mapped didn't show in the app because it was too small. Even if it did show it would probably look silly and since Urgent Cares seam to be popping up on every street corner these days, almost as bad as Starbucks, are we getting value by making the small free standing Urgent Cares Area Place?

Sorry for the delay, but I didn't want to lose the work done here. I don't see how the multiplication of urgent cares makes them less useful to display. As for area places being too small, my proposal already addresses that. Here's the proposal, modified with the language from DwarfLord's last few posts:

new draft section on area place size wrote:Area places will show up in the Waze mobile app if they are large enough.

Some area places have a single recognizable structure useful as a visual reference for Wazers as they approach this destination from various directions. Subject to the constraints on area places discussed elsewhere on this page, the area place can be drawn to approximate the structure's footprint or outline, provided that the structure has:
  • a meaningful name that is at least locally well known
  • a size large enough to show in the mobile application
Examples include landmark buildings like the Pentagon, as well as large shopping malls or stadiums/arenas that are constructed as single buildings.

Other area places, like university campuses and town-center-style shopping malls (mixed-use developments designed for outdoor pedestrian access), include more than one component of interest, such as multiple buildings, open areas, roads, and parking. In this case, it is often most useful to Wazers to map to the edges of the property. This will usually show the area and its label in the mobile app even when zoomed out.

Guidelines for drawing a few specific categories are more detailed and should be reviewed.

new diff
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby Kartografer » Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:00 am

Since all suggested modifications have been made with no further objections raised and wide support expressed, I have made the change.
[ img ]
Wazeopedia projects
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Previous

Return to US Wiki Discussion