Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by Mvan231
I've updated more of the page today...

Here is some discussion that I had with subs5:

subs5 wrote:
Hi,
Looks good but some things for you to consider:

1) Pick a color and outline the boxes and have the numbers on each box. This actually will show what you are referring to on the next sections.
2) Top Bar. The server NA, IL, or ROW and then snapshot shows for me. Not sure where you are seeing language unless that is just for new editors. Also it is not the top right.
3) Search box, you will get up to six options if there are many options for the less specific search. (there are more than 6 main streets in New York State).
4) probably best to use one point and one area picture so not varied based on which section (ex Map comment vs Draw places)
5) Draw places section should have put in entry/exit point for PP, AP, and RPP. Note RPP is broken and doesn't work w/o the entry point. Mention that we can only set one entry point now, might change in future.
6) Draw segments menu have a link to how not to create red roads. Also state if the road is red then there is a problem.
7) Mention Junction boxes are for Rank 5 + and link.
8) Get a link for Ped paths. Mention not used for every walking trail....
9) Save button, "The number in the icon is shown to red as a warning .." should be changed to "Pending changes are shown in a blue superscript box. Note saving frequently is most strongly encouraged since one mistake will prevent all the others from saving."
10) Recommend changing "When the button is clicked (or the shortcut key used), the editor saves all of the current changes you have made......." to "When the save button (or the shortcut key) is clicked, then Waze checks all the pending edits with a regression checker. If there are no problems the edits are saved and will appear in the app after the next tile update. If there are problems, then you will get an error message and may be taken to the problem segment or place. If there are multiple problems you will just get an error message. You might have to undo edits till you have removed the error if you can't find it and fix it. This is why it is recommended to not have too many pending edits when you save as you start."
11) Undo button Consider changing "The Undo button will undo unsaved successive previous changes with each click." to "The Undo button will undo the most recent unsaved change with each click."
12) Save button/Undo button/Redo button, remove the capital B from Button in title. Wazeopedia uses Sentence case not Title Case. (Same for all other titles Refresh or Reload Layers, Satellite Imagery, etc)
13) Redo button, consider changing "The Redo button will re-apply any changes which have been recently undone with the Undo button." to "The Redo button will re-apply the most recent save that was undone with each click."
14) Layers, consider changing "Hover or click" to "Hover over or click the three stacked papers"
15) not sure if you have a script for the reorder not seeing that in incognito mode and we don't do scripts in base wazeopedia
16) Need more current pictures for Cities, Roads, GPS tracks,

Ok enough for tonight, I am calling it quits

This is great stuff!

for these items here are my responses.

1) great idea! I will work on the outline colors soon. I was thinking that would be a good idea but hadn't looked into how to do it just yet because I was still adding images and content. I don't see anything that clearly shows how to highlight or border an image with a certain color. Can you assist?
2) I added a note there that I would like to remove it because the "Top" bar as I see it, is the bar with the search box and such in it. In the old editor I think it made more sense but now I'm not so sure. I know that the region selection is actually buried within the settings tab now. Should we include images of that instead?
3) Are you suggesting that I add the verbiage to be "You will get up to six options if there are many options for the less specific search." ?
4) I was just trying to follow what the user will actually see, but I can remove the second set of images.
5) I've added in the point about one entry point, but I already had information about the Entry/Exit point to be added, unless you'd like some further clarification there.
6) done
7) done
8) done
9) done
10) done
11) done
12) done
13) done
14) done
15) script for reorder? Not sure what you mean
16) I'm going to work more on the updated pictures as time allows. Hoping to get those in within a day or so

Thanks again! This has been a great help!
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor
Wazeopedia :lol: | Engineer :geek: | iOS user :)

https://s.waze.tools/c3.png

Post by Mvan231
I've made a number of updates to the images today. Please let me know feedback on this
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
This is excellent stuff!

I got a number of them done but still have to finish up the items below. The trash can is already in there.

6) Recommend adding Delete Feature(s) [Trashcan] and Refresh the map [Circular arrow] to the wazeopedia. Then go in order left to right through Undo, Redo, Save, and finally Layers.
7) Second paragraph of the Layers section should start out with "There is a second drop down menu for layers which can be accessed by clicking the "More options" or "More detail" link at the top of the first drop down menu. Return by clicking the "Less options" or "Less detail" link.
8) I would consider having the Satellite imagery, cities, roads, etc moved up to cut down on the white space. Make the layers drop down pictures a little smaller in size and have the others to the left by them.
9) Would list the sections in order that they appear on the picture of the layers list (top to bottom) instead of jumping around.
10) In the first cities paragraph, third sentence change "an" to "and".
11) Should there be a link to how to select the city name and when to use USPS as alternate name in the Cities section?
12) Recommend adding "businesses," as the first example of a Place prior to "parks, gas stations, ...." Most places are businesses so lead with that one.
13) Besides the options and details difference above on the layers; I have Enforcement cameras vice speed. I use Chrome. Is it different in Firefox? or are you using a different browser?
14) Remove "Drivers report camera location....." sentence. Can only be put in via the editor now.
15) Map problems are also problems for missing parking places or reports from CCP partners.
16) for the Update requests section, change "the requested route for a distance...." to "then the requested route for a distance...." Make it an If/then sentence.
17) Place update requests are also generated when an editor makes a change to a place that is locked above his/her editor rank. Recommend adding that to the description.
18) Mention that the editable area based on where you have driven a) only lasts about 90 days (i.e. is not permament) and b) may take a few days for the drive to show up.
19) Road closures layer section, Remove the comma between active and WME.
20) App submitted closures that are not active do not show up as grey in my editor. App submitted closures ahve a 1969 start and and in app RTCs from R5+ go active right away.
21) Me Tab needs updating the cones are gone. Various editor pictures based on rank
22) For the Drives tab section recommend deleting "Other Waze users and Area Managers can also view the anonymous GPS tracks of many users when editing the map in the Waze Map Editor. This helps with map accuracy." It is not pertinent to Drives tab.
23) Drive tab section states five visible entries... there are more now. Would just state it shows your last recorded drives. Recent ones will display, older ones just list the information in the left pane.
24) One or more segments selected section, the picture is when multiple segments with different road names are selected. If they have the same name then you can only tell by the number of segments selected above the general tab.
25) Select entire street section. Recommend changing from "It will also select some segments..." to "It may also select some segments...." Then add after that sentence "Therefore it is advisable to pan around or zoom out to make sure you know all of the segments that you are editing and prevent inadvertant changes."
26) Address box, the pencil is gone, recommend removing the mention of it
27) Recommend adding click Apply prior to leaving address box or changes won't be cued for saving.
28) Recommend adding that Alternate names can only be added if there is already a Primary name applied to the street segment(s).
29) The Edit house numbers section needs updating. First bullet in Take Notive (The Edit House Numbers button appears when ther is only one segment selected) is no longer true.
30) For cameras I would mention that they are locked at the level of the last editor and can't be lowered. That is why a new R1 can't change or delete a camera touched by a R4 editor.
31) recommend removing the "whether it is a Private or Public Place" from the Place selected section. Not terms use used now. Need updated picture and then add in about Residential Place Points (address only) for the residential/private (address only) display.
32) Gas station does not have to be first to have the additional drop down menu for the Brand.
33) Map display area section is out of date and redundant. forthe info bar. New pictures needed.
34) wiki link section, change to opens a new tab to the wazeopedia
35) Status link, recommend changing to "Opens a new tabl to the status table. Shows most current tile updates, app updates, and editor point counts.
36) Scale needs new photo since the number locations have changed
37) Junction Arrows (make sentence case) and recommend changing "forbidden turns" to "prohibited turns" to match the restriction labeling.
38) Recommend changing "Hover over the arrow to see a clock. Click on the clock to edit time based turn restrictions." to "Hover over a green or yellow arrow to see the turn restriction grey box. Turn instruction override instructions, time based turn restrictions, and difficult turn restrictions can be edited within the grey box." Use the picture from partial restrictions page for the gray box.
39) Consider adding the picture of the green and yellow arrows with difficult turns enabled since they have the striped shading of green and yellow. Picture is available on the partial restriction page.
39) Since this page repeats a lot of other pages maybe just have a link to the Partial restrictions page instead of going into all the TBTR, TIOs, DTs. Same with the Resticiton section to the Editing restriction page. That way less to update when things change, no conflicting wazeopedia pages, etc.
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
mvan231 wrote:This is excellent stuff!

I got a number of them done but still have to finish up the items below. The trash can is already in there.

6) Recommend adding Delete Feature(s) [Trashcan] and Refresh the map [Circular arrow] to the wazeopedia. Then go in order left to right through Undo, Redo, Save, and finally Layers.
7) Second paragraph of the Layers section should start out with "There is a second drop down menu for layers which can be accessed by clicking the "More options" or "More detail" link at the top of the first drop down menu. Return by clicking the "Less options" or "Less detail" link.
8) I would consider having the Satellite imagery, cities, roads, etc moved up to cut down on the white space. Make the layers drop down pictures a little smaller in size and have the others to the left by them.
9) Would list the sections in order that they appear on the picture of the layers list (top to bottom) instead of jumping around.
10) In the first cities paragraph, third sentence change "an" to "and".
11) Should there be a link to how to select the city name and when to use USPS as alternate name in the Cities section?
12) Recommend adding "businesses," as the first example of a Place prior to "parks, gas stations, ...." Most places are businesses so lead with that one.
13) Besides the options and details difference above on the layers; I have Enforcement cameras vice speed. I use Chrome. Is it different in Firefox? or are you using a different browser?
14) Remove "Drivers report camera location....." sentence. Can only be put in via the editor now.
15) Map problems are also problems for missing parking places or reports from CCP partners.
16) for the Update requests section, change "the requested route for a distance...." to "then the requested route for a distance...." Make it an If/then sentence.
17) Place update requests are also generated when an editor makes a change to a place that is locked above his/her editor rank. Recommend adding that to the description.
18) Mention that the editable area based on where you have driven a) only lasts about 90 days (i.e. is not permament) and b) may take a few days for the drive to show up.
19) Road closures layer section, Remove the comma between active and WME.
20) App submitted closures that are not active do not show up as grey in my editor. App submitted closures ahve a 1969 start and and in app RTCs from R5+ go active right away.
21) Me Tab needs updating the cones are gone. Various editor pictures based on rank
22) For the Drives tab section recommend deleting "Other Waze users and Area Managers can also view the anonymous GPS tracks of many users when editing the map in the Waze Map Editor. This helps with map accuracy." It is not pertinent to Drives tab.
23) Drive tab section states five visible entries... there are more now. Would just state it shows your last recorded drives. Recent ones will display, older ones just list the information in the left pane.
24) One or more segments selected section, the picture is when multiple segments with different road names are selected. If they have the same name then you can only tell by the number of segments selected above the general tab.
25) Select entire street section. Recommend changing from "It will also select some segments..." to "It may also select some segments...." Then add after that sentence "Therefore it is advisable to pan around or zoom out to make sure you know all of the segments that you are editing and prevent inadvertant changes."
26) Address box, the pencil is gone, recommend removing the mention of it
27) Recommend adding click Apply prior to leaving address box or changes won't be cued for saving.
28) Recommend adding that Alternate names can only be added if there is already a Primary name applied to the street segment(s).
29) The Edit house numbers section needs updating. First bullet in Take Notive (The Edit House Numbers button appears when ther is only one segment selected) is no longer true.
30) For cameras I would mention that they are locked at the level of the last editor and can't be lowered. That is why a new R1 can't change or delete a camera touched by a R4 editor.
31) recommend removing the "whether it is a Private or Public Place" from the Place selected section. Not terms use used now. Need updated picture and then add in about Residential Place Points (address only) for the residential/private (address only) display.
32) Gas station does not have to be first to have the additional drop down menu for the Brand.
33) Map display area section is out of date and redundant. forthe info bar. New pictures needed.
34) wiki link section, change to opens a new tab to the wazeopedia
35) Status link, recommend changing to "Opens a new tabl to the status table. Shows most current tile updates, app updates, and editor point counts.
36) Scale needs new photo since the number locations have changed
37) Junction Arrows (make sentence case) and recommend changing "forbidden turns" to "prohibited turns" to match the restriction labeling.
38) Recommend changing "Hover over the arrow to see a clock. Click on the clock to edit time based turn restrictions." to "Hover over a green or yellow arrow to see the turn restriction grey box. Turn instruction override instructions, time based turn restrictions, and difficult turn restrictions can be edited within the grey box." Use the picture from partial restrictions page for the gray box.
39) Consider adding the picture of the green and yellow arrows with difficult turns enabled since they have the striped shading of green and yellow. Picture is available on the partial restriction page.
39) Since this page repeats a lot of other pages maybe just have a link to the Partial restrictions page instead of going into all the TBTR, TIOs, DTs. Same with the Resticiton section to the Editing restriction page. That way less to update when things change, no conflicting wazeopedia pages, etc.
6.) Done
7.) Done
8.) Done
9.) Done, Also added the missing layer sections

Will continue working on other sections of notes shortly... but I am working on it :) Not being able to upload images has really caused a pain in my side on this though
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
Kartografer wrote:I made a couple edits to the draw segments menu of your page, mvan, to add info on junction boxes and pedestrian paths. Thanks for working on this draft. We should really get this fixed up and published.

Seriously, I appreciate all the help with any of it that you can :) You've been a great help so far
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
mvan231 wrote:
mvan231 wrote:This is excellent stuff!

6.) Done
7.) Done
8.) Done
9.) Done, Also added the missing layer sections

Will continue working on other sections of notes shortly... but I am working on it :) Not being able to upload images has really caused a pain in my side on this though

10.) Done
11) Done - Should there be a link to how to select the city name and when to use USPS as alternate name in the Cities section? - I'm not really sure. It sounds like it could be a great idea. I'll add it in.
12) Done - Recommend adding "businesses," as the first example of a Place prior to "parks, gas stations, ...." Most places are businesses so lead with that one.
13) Done (I have the same, this was old wording from whoever put the page together before) - Besides the options and details difference above on the layers; I have Enforcement cameras vice speed. I use Chrome. Is it different in Firefox? or are you using a different browser?
14) I can remove, but I the app still allows for reporting of the cameras as well - Remove "Drivers report camera location....." sentence. Can only be put in via the editor now.
15) Done - Map problems are also problems for missing parking places or reports from CCP partners.
16) Done - for the Update requests section, change "the requested route for a distance...." to "then the requested route for a distance...." Make it an If/then sentence.
17) Done - Place update requests are also generated when an editor makes a change to a place that is locked above his/her editor rank. Recommend adding that to the description.
18) Done - Mention that the editable area based on where you have driven a) only lasts about 90 days (i.e. is not permament) and b) may take a few days for the drive to show up.
19) Done - Road closures layer section, Remove the comma between active and WME.
20) Done - App submitted closures that are not active do not show up as grey in my editor. App submitted closures ahve a 1969 start and and in app RTCs from R5+ go active right away.
21) Not sure what you mean here - Me Tab needs updating the cones are gone. Various editor pictures based on rank
22) Done - For the Drives tab section recommend deleting "Other Waze users and Area Managers can also view the anonymous GPS tracks of many users when editing the map in the Waze Map Editor. This helps with map accuracy." It is not pertinent to Drives tab.
23) Done - Drive tab section states five visible entries... there are more now. Would just state it shows your last recorded drives. Recent ones will display, older ones just list the information in the left pane.

Need to finish others
Mvan231
Send a message
Last edited by Mvan231 on Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
21) Pending update when file uploader works again - Me Tab needs updating the cones are gone. Various editor pictures based on rank

24) Done - One or more segments selected section, the picture is when multiple segments with different road names are selected. If they have the same name then you can only tell by the number of segments selected above the general tab.
25) Done Select entire street section. Recommend changing from "It will also select some segments..." to "It may also select some segments...." Then add after that sentence "Therefore it is advisable to pan around or zoom out to make sure you know all of the segments that you are editing and prevent inadvertent changes."
26) Done Address box, the pencil is gone, recommend removing the mention of it
27) Done Recommend adding click Apply prior to leaving address box or changes won't be cued for saving.
28) Done Recommend adding that Alternate names can only be added if there is already a Primary name applied to the street segment(s).
29) Done The Edit house numbers section needs updating. First bullet in Take Notive (The Edit House Numbers button appears when ther is only one segment selected) is no longer true.
30) Done For cameras I would mention that they are locked at the level of the last editor and can't be lowered. That is why a new R1 can't change or delete a camera touched by a R4 editor.
31) Done recommend removing the "whether it is a Private or Public Place" from the Place selected section. Not terms use used now. Need updated picture and then add in about Residential Place Points (address only) for the residential/private (address only) display.
32) Really? My WME doesn't do this - Gas station does not have to be first to have the additional drop down menu for the Brand.
33) Done, but new pictures can be added after Wazeopedia file upload is fixed - Map display area section is out of date and redundant. for the info bar. New pictures needed.
34) Done wiki link section, change to opens a new tab to the wazeopedia
35) Done Status link, recommend changing to "Opens a new tabl to the status table. Shows most current tile updates, app updates, and editor point counts.
36) Will update photo after file uploader is fixed - Scale needs new photo since the number locations have changed
37) Done Junction Arrows (make sentence case) and recommend changing "forbidden turns" to "prohibited turns" to match the restriction labeling.
38) partially done, need to update image Recommend changing "Hover over the arrow to see a clock. Click on the clock to edit time based turn restrictions." to "Hover over a green or yellow arrow to see the turn restriction grey box. Turn instruction override instructions, time based turn restrictions, and difficult turn restrictions can be edited within the grey box." Use the picture from partial restrictions page for the gray box.
39) Need to do once Wazeopedia is fixed - Consider adding the picture of the green and yellow arrows with difficult turns enabled since they have the striped shading of green and yellow. Picture is available on the partial restriction page.
39) I'd like to have more details on this one please, or help with the removal / linking - Since this page repeats a lot of other pages maybe just have a link to the Partial restrictions page instead of going into all the TBTR, TIOs, DTs. Same with the Resticiton section to the Editing restriction page. That way less to update when things change, no conflicting wazeopedia pages, etc.
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
The page will be going live soon after it is properly merged
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
voludu2 wrote:That's a lot of work, mvan231. Thank you!
:)
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor

Post by Mvan231
Interesting. I didn’t realize you could multi delete items. Good idea to clarify that though for sure
Mvan231
Send a message
- Mark
Mvan231 (3) MI AM
GLR | Michigan Editor