[Page replacement] Mega events

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
While helping with the RTC page, I noticed that the mega events page is really outdated, and as far as I know we don't have a US wiki page on creating events in WME. I'd like to replace this page with a page called Major Traffic Event, and here is my draft. I started with content from the Benelux community and also adapted info from the staff-created Google doc about MTEs. Not sure how best to credit those sources. I left out specifics on who gets the push messages. I've heard that it's everyone within the city of the event, or everyone within the state of the event, if the event has no city. I haven't seen this personally, however, even though a no city event in my state that I recently submitted has a green check mark. This leaves me to believe that push messaging is more localized. If anyone else has further details, please share.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

POSTER_ID:17169121

Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Thanks. I made that change and also added a note on crisis events
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

mudge42 wrote:Very nice! For consistency, do you want to make the same change ("road closures" to "real time closures" in the first bullet of Preliminary notes?
I'm a little unsure on whether to use road closure or real time closure, actually. In WME the object is called a road closure, but our wiki is called real time closures. I imagine we used the term real time closure when the feature was new to distinguish it from other routing-prevention techniques that require a tile update, but it's four years old now.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Alright, changed the link in the first sentence back to road closures. It is currently a redirect, but we will eventually make that the title of the RTC page. Any other thoughts on this draft?
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Since there's been no disagreement, and this doesn't really change editor guidance anyway, I have made the changes and fixed redirects on pages in main space and voludu2's RTC draft that's about to be published
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Sure, we can mention that they are also called real time closures (RTCs) in the lead, just name the page road closures and use that term predominantly on the page
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by mudge42
Very nice! For consistency, do you want to make the same change ("road closures" to "real time closures" in the first bullet of Preliminary notes?
mudge42
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by nhmapguy
Looks good at first glance. I would change "road closures" in the first sentence to "Real-Time Closures" in the first instance.
nhmapguy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by nhmapguy
In that case it would seem wise to use road closure and then recommend a change to the RTC page for Road Closure to be there default name and default RTC to it. A debate for another proposal.
nhmapguy
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The Real Time Closure page is currently also being entirely rewritten.
I honestly didn't even notice the difference between "Real Time Closure" and "Road Closure".

We can update the entire RTC page to use the term "Road Closure".
Somewhere near the top we can mention it is also known as "Real Time Closure"
When it is all done, we can make a move to the new name "Road Closure" and leave behind a redirect.
voludu2
Send a message