[Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby dfortney » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:11 pm

Thanks kndcajun for finding a test bed for interpolation. We'll see how long it lasts before Google "catches up" and adds the road name.

I'm seeing the same thing that you found in my testing; I tested several even numbers in between the two endpoint HNs (706 and 754), and Waze is resolving the HN using linear interpolation. When testing numbers below 706 (such as 700 ed Pine Dr) or above 754 (such as 800 Red Pine Dr), Waze's stop point is the same as for 706 and 754, respectively. So, I conclude Waze is not "extrapolating" past the min or max. Interestingly, Waze will only "find" addresses that are within 100 of the min/max range -- so for instance, 854 Red Pine Dr resolves to the same spot as 754, but Waze doesn't find 856 or 900 Red Pine Dr, or 600 Red Pine Dr.
[ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ] [ img ][ img ]
Rank 5 | US Country Manager | North Carolina State Manager | SAT Multi-state Manager | Northern California AM
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfortney » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:54 am

We have an inconsistency regarding use of letters in the wiki article:

We have this statement:
"House numbers can contain numbers and letters, but cannot start with a letter."

and then later on, under House numbers vs. residential point places:

"House numbers cannot contain letters; RPPs can contain letters."

The second statement is incorrect - I propose we strike it.
Rank 5 | US Country Manager | North Carolina State Manager | SAT Multi-state Manager | Northern California AM
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby dfortney » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:51 am

The change was published, with @subs5's additional verbiage.
dfortney
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:20 pm

Wording of the eleventh point under Things to remember (caveats/warnings) in the House Numbers in WME article gives the impression of conflicting with the House numbers on service roads section of the (identically-named?) House numbers on Service Roads article.

Specifically, the former article says:
House Numbers in WME wrote:If the correct stop point for a house/business is on another road segment (differently named segment) away from its properly labeled segment in Waze, then a Waze house number for that address should not be used. Instead, add a residential point place (RPP) which contains only the address.

Meanwhile, the latter article says:
House Numbers on Service Roads wrote:[...] move the anchor point to the service road vice the main road [...]

I'm guessing that the quoted text from the main House Numbers article was unintentionally written in a way that can come across a bit too broadly. Perhaps that text can be amended slightly? One suggestion:

Proposed change to House Numbers article wrote:If the correct stop point for a house/business is on another road segment (differently named segment) away from its properly labeled segment in Waze, a different road than its address road — for example, when its entrance is located on a cross street or back street — then a Waze house number for that address should not be used (but note that house numbers may often be used for entrances located on service/frontage roads; see House Numbers on Service Roads). Instead, add a residential point place (RPP) which contains only the address.

Uncontroversial, I expect...?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:22 pm

I don't know; that text is unchanged from the current version.

Were I to guess, I would guess it is there to remind the reader that RPPs don't have anything but address information. Strictly speaking, that intent would call for "that" instead of "which", i.e., "that contains only the address" and possibly within parenthesis as well. Except that's not really true, as RPPs have the potential to hold stop point information as well. Least confusing would probably be to omit the phrase altogether.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby DwarfLord » Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:39 pm

Given the general agreement and the non-controversial nature of the changes, they're now live; see the differences. Thanks for the feedback and support.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby HBiede » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:58 pm

Out of curiosity, why is the “which contains only the address” qualifier there?
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager

Postby HBiede » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:24 pm

DwarfLord wrote:Least confusing would probably be to omit the phrase altogether.

That was my opinion as well. Concise = better
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager

Postby jm6087 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:19 pm

RussPA wrote:I know interpolation usually comes from the Google side, but if HNs are removed, then there will be no Waze interpolation, since RPP don't interpolate. I would think HN and RPP next to each other can remain, only HN with a different stop point from the RPP should be removed. And even then, RPP are SUPPOSED to take priority over HN in searches. My point being that I wouldn't want to tell everyone to remove certain HN and then later on find out they should have been left in place.

This has been my understanding as well. I don't think removing HNs is needed anymore.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:33 pm

W1QA wrote:Perfect - thanks for the quick reply and clarification.

Was there ever a time when a house number could have been added to an unnamed road?

I believe there was a time in the dark ages when a HN could be added to an unnamed road. I have seen them pop up from time to time.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion