[Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

Re: [Page Update] House Numbers in WME

Postby Mvan231 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:12 pm

Really? It was still in there I thought. Who is PHSanders? They reverted the stuff that was added in.
- Mark V (mvan231)
Michigan Editor (Level 3) :) :geek:
GLR Editor
Wazeopedia :lol:
Engineer :geek:
iOS user :)
Mvan231

Postby subs5 » Fri Dec 28, 2018 9:04 pm

It was not there last night, but today is is. PHSanders is Waze's pseudonym for me when they did a conversion to the wiki. I have removed the second redundant location of RPPs.

I will be proposing some modification to the Places page in that forum.
1) adding in the part about the <50 m for new RPP if there was a HN anchor
2) adding a brief RPP section to the part above the table of contents for the Places page to be consistent with area places and point places.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Mvan231 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:59 am

Haha. Silly wiki.

Agree with that.

Would it be better to just provide the link to the RPP info in the places page on the HN page?
- Mark V (mvan231)
GLR Editor
Mvan231

Postby subs5 » Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:21 pm

Sure, I was just listing the changes to the Places page here since somewhat related. Having a cross reference is fine that way only have to update one when something changes.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Mvan231 » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:17 pm

I just took a look on my computer at this again, and it seems that the RPP section is already referenced in the HN places, or were you thinking to have a more direct reference?
- Mark V (mvan231)
GLR Editor
Mvan231

Postby subs5 » Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:18 pm

I was thinking more of having a link from one page to the other, just so it only has to be updated in one location if (or when) it changes.

In the guidance here in the House Numbers in WME section, I think think the statement that "additionally ensure the RPP's city name is listed a primary or alternate city name on a nearby segment." needs some clarification. The street and city name have to be paired as a primary (or alternate) selection - be an exact match. For the address on First St, Anytown, you can't just have First St , CensusDesigatedPlace with Maple Rd, Anytown nearby. You actually need First St, Anytown.

So I would change it to "additionally ensure the RPP's street name and city name are listed the primary or an alternate pairing on a nearby segment."

This occurs twice. Once in If an address is on an unnamed road segment and once in If the correct stop point for a house/business is on another road segment (differently named segment) away from its properly labeled segment in Waze
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby Mvan231 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:01 pm

Agreed. I have made the updates live on the page now
- Mark V (mvan231)
GLR Editor
Mvan231

Postby kndcajun » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:39 am

Hi folks. Thanks for the informative discussion about HNs. I have a question about HN interpolation.

First, thank you for the pyramid diagram on address searching priorities. Very helpful from an editor troubleshooting URs!

Now, let me say that I wish Waze HN interpolation would override google's. That's because as editors we have control over it. But I know that's another story...

My post here is regarding a behavior of Waze HN interpolation that is actually different from what is documented on WO. I have a case here where there is no Google addressing (so Waze HNs are the only data source), and Waze interpolation is working quite well - and EVEN over neighboring segments. When I read the wiki (WO), it implies that it won't work for even numbers on a segment unless two even numbers are already mapped on same segment, and generally on opposite sides of the point in question. But in my case, it is interpolating correctly when I have only one even at the far end of one segment, and one even at the opposite far end of a neighboring segment.

<https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-90.45203&lat=30.46320&s=121091347&zoom=5&segments=509786187>

706 and 754 are mapped (on consecutive segments). Try searching for 726, 736, 746, etc. It works!

Am I misinterpreting?

Thanks for your insights!
AM, Louisiana
Level 4
kndcajun

Postby subs5 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:16 pm

kndcajun wrote:Hi folks. Thanks for the informative discussion about HNs. I have a question about HN interpolation.

First, thank you for the pyramid diagram on address searching priorities. Very helpful from an editor troubleshooting URs!

Now, let me say that I wish Waze HN interpolation would override google's. That's because as editors we have control over it. But I know that's another story...

My post here is regarding a behavior of Waze HN interpolation that is actually different from what is documented on WO. I have a case here where there is no Google addressing (so Waze HNs are the only data source), and Waze interpolation is working quite well - and EVEN over neighboring segments. When I read the wiki (WO), it implies that it won't work for even numbers on a segment unless two even numbers are already mapped on same segment, and generally on opposite sides of the point in question. But in my case, it is interpolating correctly when I have only one even at the far end of one segment, and one even at the opposite far end of a neighboring segment.

<https://www.waze.com/editor/?env=usa&lon=-90.45203&lat=30.46320&s=121091347&zoom=5&segments=509786187>

706 and 754 are mapped (on consecutive segments). Try searching for 726, 736, 746, etc. It works!

Am I misinterpreting?

Thanks for your insights!

Waze can always change programming, but the interpolation and extrapolation was a direct answer to a question that I brought up at a Regional Meetup in 2017. Nzahn1 drafted the posting and had it verified by staff.
Searches are made to be fuzzy, but have you used the Debug mode to see if the search thinks it is Waze or Google as the source?
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager

Postby kndcajun » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:43 pm

Well, Red Pine Dr doesn't exist in GMaps, so I assumed it couldn't be the source.
https://goo.gl/maps/RoqSG28HXUq

I don't have a beta installed on my phone. (I prefer to do troubleshooting at the editor, not while I'm driving :) )

Thanks for the quick response
AM, Louisiana
Level 4
kndcajun

PreviousNext

Return to US Wiki Discussion