Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by ldriveskier
The table formatting between steps 3 and 4 is a bit messed up.

For the temporarily closed places, it seems inconsistent to have "closed until" added to the name, but "reopens" in the comments. In comparison, the under construction places have "opens" in both places. I would recommend changing the "closed until" wording to "reopens" to make that consistent.

Othat than that, I think it looks good!
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by ldriveskier
Kartografer wrote:It seems like all concerns have been resolved here, so I will publish this in a few days if no further comments are made. However, I'm wondering whether we want to just change all categories to other. Would that be worth doing? I've changed my draft to show this, but will revert if that's not desired
That wouldn't hurt. I think the only category that really matters is the gas station category because it is tied to updating gas prices. All other categories might be used for search, but the results will show the closed verbiage in the name if that happened. Changing everything to "other" would also eliminate this.
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by ldriveskier
The trigger update was referring to the name that is displayed in the app. However, I'm wondering if a map refresh in the app would work just as well. I'ver never personally run into this problem.

From the #virginia channel in Discord today:
kodi75 (5)Today at 2:35 PM
Regarding the "temporarily closed" gas station discussion at 9:40AM today, it helps to change the Gas Station to a "point" as well, then restore to area place .. that ensures the map is refreshed. Else the name "closed" is often retained in the user's map
SirGadwall (4) VA SMToday at 2:40 PM
@kodi75 (5) bumping a seg nearby seems to have the same effect of forcing the name update. Probably should add the "Change it to a point" tip to the Closed instructions to benefit everyone and not just VA. Learned that the hard way in more inexperienced days. Kept getting URs for a remodeled Sheetz saying it was closed. Was like "I set the hours back and updated the name 2 weeks ago
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Send a message

Post by mythdraug
With there being some visibility into where ad pins are located, and the ad-team being being both more responsive and receptive to submissions without app screenshots. I believe we should be ensuring that those are removed prior to removing the Place from the map.

I'm not sure how to structure process for the addition (I'll leave that to the experts here), as I tend to check for a pin existence with scripts. But I've recently had good luck submitting screenshots of WME with those script-revealed pins and/or providing a link to news coverage listing multiple location closures for an advertised chain.
mythdraug
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by mythdraug
I haven't tested that either. It doesn't seem like the ads are directly tied to a place. Was just thinking that in the spirit of making sure there aren't extra references to a destination, it would be a good practice to request removal the associated ad.
mythdraug
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message

Post by RussPA
Kartografer wrote:Changing categories doesn't break stuff like that though, as feeds are tied to place ID. It merely hides information that would normally be shown.
That's what I've been told as well, it's the place ID that does all the work.
RussPA  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by RussPA
I'm not sure trigger edits are necessary to mention, I've never run into that problem. That was the thinking behind HNs too and it turned out to not be necessary. If places are on a separate server update "layer" than segments (like HNs are separate), then trigger edits don't serve any purpose.
RussPA  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by subs5
With the 502 errors can't see any of the proposal.

But my understanding is you put the perm closed and leave it there till Google updates their place to show closed. You can remove once it is no longer searchable in Google or Google shows that it is perm closed. Are you suggesting to leave the Waze place (PP/AP) there till the Google link shows red in WMEPH? Or for those that don't use scripts that it is not findable in Google?
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by subs5
I don't like the wording of Steps 2 & 3.
"2. Use the external provider search to link all relevant Google places; check each link and the general area in Google Maps for more relevant, open places to link.
3.If your place is linked to [a)] nothing, or only places marked permanently closed:
[b)]Google Maps places that aren't permanently closed:"

Step 2 implies that you search for the external Google links. It is too easy to miss that you should add the external Google link(s) if it (they) indicate open. It can be implied but it is too easy for an editor to just read step 3 a and delete the PP/AP in Waze if there isn't an external place linked in Waze.

Would it be worth changing 2. to:
a. Check each existing external provider link(s) to see if it indicates open in Google Maps (need a Rank 2+ editor to complete)
b. Search the general area in Google Maps for other relevant, open places to link.
c. Use the Waze place external provider search to link all relevant Google places that indicate open and link to the Waze place
d. If there is not a Google Map place that indicates open

Actions for a-c continue to the next step.
Action for step d (perm closed place is Delete the place and stop, temp closed or under construction is continue to the next step

Does that seem reasonable to you?

Also doesn't an editor need to be R2 to do an external link search? That is why I stated (R2+ required in the proposed step a above.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message

Post by subs5
Karto,
Overall looks very good. Nice job on the tablee.

I would recommend not changing the gas station AP to other, (at least if it was one of the imports with backend supported feed. I would think changing the category might break that. So w/o confirmation from staff, would have words, "Leave Gas Station category as is for temp closed or under construction stations".
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Send a message