Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Yes, this happens to me too. I'm on Android, but I doubt this is based on the OS
screenshot
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

I've gone ahead and changed the page. For beta testers, I have also reported this as a bug in CenterCode.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

I haven't gotten a response yet from anyone on the bug, and it was reported on Friday. They have been responding to many others. So as for resolution, I'd say if you remember which places have these hours in them, go ahead and change. Not a big deal though. It's still obvious from the names that they're permanently closed, and they only show open on one day of 7.
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Wouldn't the ad pin supersede any info we put on the place anyway? Like if we named it [permanently closed], but there's an ad pin, wouldn't the permanently closed part be hidden? Or do the hours and description show? I haven't really tested this
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio

Post by dfortney
I wholeheartedly agree that if Waze has an ad pin at a place that is permanently closed, we should be requesting the Waze Ad team to remove the ad as part of the place deletion procedure.

I just did some testing -- the WME name, address, telephone fields appear to be overwritten by whatever is in the ad, and the description text and URL do not appear at all. However, the ad does have the WME hours and services.

So, there's no benefit in adding "(permanently closed)" to the place name, or any explanatory text in the description (other than to alert other Waze editors that the place is closed). However there does appear to be benefit in restricting the open hours to 1 minute / week, and waiting for ad deletion confirmation from the Waze ad team as a prerequisite to deleting the place in WME.
dfortney
Send a message

Post by dfortney
Yeah, We certainly don't want a requirement to run a particular script to retrieve data that Waze does not make available via WME.

Perhaps an optional step - if an editor is aware of an ad, they should make a deletion request to the Waze ad team similar to any misplaced or otherwise errant ad they encounter. They could change the hours to 1 minute per week, and move to delete the place once they receive confirmation from the Waze ad team.
dfortney
Send a message

Post by jm6087
I think it looks good
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
The data on a place does not need a trigger but I was thinking the trigger update is needed for the change from a point to area or area to point.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
Since the name is only shown in the app on area places, I am guessing that the visible name in the app is part of the polygon data and not the details and would require the trigger update for the tiles.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
I agree that requesting the removal of the ad as part of the deletion procedure would be good, but how would an editor know about the Waze Ad pin without BED? Are we going to require that an editor use BED to use the place deletion procedure?

Beside that, there is no real benefit to leaving the place in WME until removed from the ad IMO, the place could still come back in the next ad campaign by the place and cause problems again or Waze can refuse to delete the ad because of the contract.

I think that it should be only recommended that the editor confirm that there is no Ad Pin associated with the place if they can. As a general rule, the ad pin issues will have to be resolved on a case by case basis when URs lead us that way.
jm6087  
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ