[New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby HBiede » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:05 pm

Standard Proposal Seeking Opinions:

In some states, including my home state of Nebraska, interstate exits are marked as area places. While these are not used as destinations in navigations in all but the rarest of rare use cases, they provide users with a subtle but useful display of upcoming exits as well as a way to see approximately where they are relative to mile markers. While this is not as useful in more cramped urban areas, it is a nice addition in more rural expanses. Examples of the display in-app are attached below:

[ img ]

And while not as visible, it is still useful in smaller, urban areas as well (I don't have an in-app view here, so I fell back on a WME screenshot):

[ img ]

The standard used for these area places are:
Street: I-XX
Category: Junction/Intersection
Lock Level: Equal to the Attached Freeway Segment

I propose that this practice be expanded beyond a few select states to a more wide reaching availability for the sake of consistency from a UX perspective. Speaking from personal experience, I find them very useful and a nice addition to the map as a whole. I welcome dissenting opinions, other anecdotes in favor, and possible standards, minimum area sizes, etc.

Wazeopedia Entry Draft:
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Us ... _Exit_Area

Previous Regional Discussions:
NWR - https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=565&t=275649
PLN - https://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=567&t=275650

Examples of in place area places:
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&lon=-98.26309&lat=40.82233&zoom=4&venues=171508120.1715343346.341378
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&lon=-96.75563&lat=40.81750&zoom=4&venues=172491160.1725173746.341437
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=usa&lon=-96.71420&lat=40.86122&zoom=4&venues=172556697.1725435894.341462
Last edited by HBiede on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
State Manager - Nebraska and Large Area Manager - Montana
Layer Saver Script
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby MacroNav » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:15 pm

Thanks for the write-up, HBiede! I agree that for those regions/states that decide to adopt them, we should aim for consistency on how they are built and appear in-App, and one Wiki article that can be linked to would be a big help!
MacroNav
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 9:48 pm
Location: Wasilla, Alaska, USA
Has thanked: 40 times
Been thanked: 34 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby Kartografer » Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:10 pm

I think mapping interchanges like this would be an improvement.
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
 
Posts: 1180
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2015 2:32 pm
Location: Westerville, Ohio, USA
Has thanked: 538 times
Been thanked: 772 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby juliansean » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:49 pm

Being someone that travels all over at first I wondered why it was done. Now with your explanation I can see the benefit. I like it.

Sean
Sean Julian
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
juliansean
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 963
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:33 am
Has thanked: 448 times
Been thanked: 305 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby Nagamasa » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:07 am

Do we have any guidance on interchanges where roads with their own exit numbers intersect?
[ img ]
AM3: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM3: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:11 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby sketch » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:49 pm

I used to do this years ago around Louisiana but decided to delete them all one day, as it had failed to gain traction nationally. I could potentially support it again. I do think it's nice to show exit numbers in the display. To me, exit number display in the app is the sole reason to do this.

Though I think it'd be better if Waze were to allow us to do it without having to throw a big area place over everything like that. It's somewhat hackish and inelegant, though it does look pretty okay most of the time (especially in rural and suburban areas).

Regarding your proposal, good first draft. The name doesn't quite work. Properly, I think (if implemented) this should likely be a section in the Junction Style Guide/Interchanges, and linked from wherever the Junction/Interchange category is linked on the Places page.

As for the content, I think more detail is needed regarding the handling of suffixed exits and more urban situations. I've only seen N/S in New York; other states may do this, but at any rate, many use A/B when different ramps feed different directions, so the examples should more clearly state this with sample screenshots as well. Also, naming should follow signs in such situations. If there is a sign that says "Exit 13", then later signs say "Exit 13A" and "Exit 13B", then the Place should be "Exit 13". But if the first sign says "Exit 13B-A" (presumably "Exit 13A-B" coming the other way), the Place should be named "Exit 13A-B".

However, not all A/B exits are actually the same interchange, so the draft should also account for this with examples. The various exits 235 and 236 on I-10 in New Orleans are mostly separate from each other some kind of way, and these should have separate places, of course. It may seem intuitive, sure, but I guarantee someone will come on by and say "well the wiki says A-B-C exits should just be 'Exit 235'..."

Moving on, I am a little puzzled by this:
The street the exit terminates at should not be included in the name unless it alleviates confusion or no numbering system is in place (ie “Exit 449 - 72nd Street”).

I don't think there is really any occasion where this is appropriate. Your example shows an exit number, so a numbering system is in place. Either the exit is numbered or it isn't. If it isn't numbered, there's no reason to put an area place there.

Nagamasa wrote:Do we have any guidance on interchanges where roads with their own exit numbers intersect?

In the past I had done something like this, with two directly adjacent (perhaps slightly overlapping) places.
[ img ]
ALL US EDITORS READ: New USA road type guidance
assistant regional coordinator • south central region • usa
waze global champ • beta leader • tier one • new orleans
2017 chevrolet ss sedan 6mt • slipstream blue metallic
[ img ] [ img ]
sketch
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
 
Posts: 6454
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:13 pm
Location: Nouvelle-Orléans, Louisiane, États-Unis
Has thanked: 2077 times
Been thanked: 2560 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby Nagamasa » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:40 am

sketch wrote:
Nagamasa wrote:Do we have any guidance on interchanges where roads with their own exit numbers intersect?

In the past I had done something like this, with two directly adjacent (perhaps slightly overlapping) places.
[ img ]


Do you have a more generic example, say for a stack interchange? :) Would be great if we had some reference templates to standard interchange designs.
[ img ]
AM3: North Bay (+Sacramento +Stockton), CA
AM3: Northwestern Washington
Beta tester for WME & Android
Nagamasa
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 2369
Joined: Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:11 am
Location: Seattle, WA, USA
Has thanked: 229 times
Been thanked: 287 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby jm6087 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:53 am

Nagamasa wrote:Do you have a more generic example, say for a stack interchange? :) Would be great if we had some reference templates to standard interchange designs.


Do you mean something like the High 5 in Dallas?
https://www.waze.com/en-US/editor?env=u ... 449&zoom=5

[ img ]
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
 
Posts: 3796
Joined: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:05 pm
Location: Texas
Has thanked: 637 times
Been thanked: 1565 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby kyhtak » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:30 am

I really like this idea! I've done enough travelling in rural areas across the US that I can see its benefits. Not sure how one would map the above screenshot (from Dallas?) in a way that would be useful . . . but maybe it would come under "urban" and not be mapped at all?
kyhtak
Map Editor - Level 4
Map Editor - Level 4
 
Posts: 86
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 3:05 pm
Location: Bradley County, Tennessee, USA
Has thanked: 751 times
Been thanked: 42 times

Re: [New Page] Interstate Exit Area Place (IEAs)

Postby HBiede » Sun Feb 03, 2019 3:42 pm

sketch wrote:As for the content, I think more detail is needed regarding the handling of suffixed exits and more urban situations. I've only seen N/S in New York; other states may do this, but at any rate, many use A/B when different ramps feed different directions, so the examples should more clearly state this with sample screenshots as well. Also, naming should follow signs in such situations. If there is a sign that says "Exit 13", then later signs say "Exit 13A" and "Exit 13B", then the Place should be "Exit 13". But if the first sign says "Exit 13B-A" (presumably "Exit 13A-B" coming the other way), the Place should be named "Exit 13A-B".

However, not all A/B exits are actually the same interchange, so the draft should also account for this with examples. The various exits 235 and 236 on I-10 in New Orleans are mostly separate from each other some kind of way, and these should have separate places, of course. It may seem intuitive, sure, but I guarantee someone will come on by and say "well the wiki says A-B-C exits should just be 'Exit 235'..."

Moving on, I am a little puzzled by this:
The street the exit terminates at should not be included in the name unless it alleviates confusion or no numbering system is in place (ie “Exit 449 - 72nd Street”).

I don't think there is really any occasion where this is appropriate. Your example shows an exit number, so a numbering system is in place. Either the exit is numbered or it isn't.


I have reviewed the wording. Have another look.
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
State Manager - Nebraska and Large Area Manager - Montana
Layer Saver Script
HBiede
State Manager
State Manager
 
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:05 am
Location: Nebraska, USA
Has thanked: 83 times
Been thanked: 71 times

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: hawkeygoal