[New Page] PNH

Moderators: MapSir, USA Champs

[New Page] PNH

Postby johnsninja58 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:09 pm

As there is not any national information about what PNH is I though there might be value in having a quick paragraph on the Places Page. The goal is to introduce the high level concept of PNH and provide regional contacts.
Place Name Harmonization (PNH)
The primary purpose of Place Name Harmonization is to provide a consistent and optimal user search experience in the app. Whenever possible, the aim is for creating the best search first in the instant results and secondarily in full search. When a place is harmonized a standard (State, Region or National) is made for the primary name, alternative names if appropriate, descriptions, website link and other details as necessary.

A minimum of 5-10 locations is usually preferred before a place is harmonized. If a place is expected to grow beyond this number then early submission makes sense.

The PNH process starts with map editors submitting a request for harmonization of a place. This submission is reviewed by regional moderators and can be made national if appropriate. Due to complexities of how places may operate in different regions occasionally a place may have different nuances. If you have a question about a place please feel free to contact your regional moderator listed below.

A wonderful script to help an editor streamline the PNH process is WMEPH

Contact for regional MODs with links to respective submission forms, ideally an embed sheet pulled from PNH sheet to autoupdate

-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Re: [New Page] PNH

Postby Kartografer » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:52 pm

Yeah a little section in Places would be good, and I like how your proposal is written. It could include links to the various tables (I forget where they are).
[ img ]
Galaxy S9 running Pie on Mint
SM Ohio, AM New Mexico, South Dakota
Wazeopedia projects
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32
Kartografer
Wiki Master
Wiki Master

Postby johnsninja58 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:04 pm

Kartografer wrote:It could include links to the various tables

Agreed, easy to add with the embed table
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby jm6087 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:18 pm

I like the idea. I made this for myself a long time ago. It could be incorporated. It even includes the mods information for each region.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby johnsninja58 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:45 pm

jm6087 wrote:I like the idea. I made this for myself a long time ago. It could be incorporated. It even includes the mods information for each region.

Looks good. Only question is I know SNYOWL is a mod for NER and she not showing on their respective region form. I don't know if PhantomSoul is still moderating either.
-John
-------
[ img ][ img ]
VT - State Manager
johnsninja58
PartnerCoordinator
PartnerCoordinator

Postby jm6087 » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:37 pm

johnsninja58 wrote:
jm6087 wrote:I like the idea. I made this for myself a long time ago. It could be incorporated. It even includes the mods information for each region.

Looks good. Only question is I know SNYOWL is a mod for NER and she not showing on their respective region form. I don't know if PhantomSoul is still moderating either.

Those are the same spreadsheets that would appear on their individual state/region wiki if it is listed (like the SCR one) If the information is incorrect, it needs to get it updated.

EDIT: According to the PNH sheet for NER,
PhantomSoul is listed as Assigned Moderator 1
JayWazin is listed as Assigned Moderator 2
SNYOWL is listed as Assigned Moderator 3

It appears the sheet only will list Mod 1 & 2
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby PhantomSoul » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:47 pm

You can take me off of PNH NER mod and make Jaywazin and SNYOWL mods 1 and 2. I was just doing it as a stand-in and they're more local anyway.

Thanks!
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Cricket (AT&T) iPhone XR / iOS (latest) / Waze (latest/beta)
PhantomSoul
Local Champ Mentor
Local Champ Mentor

Postby jm6087 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

PhantomSoul wrote:You can take me off of PNH NER mod and make Jaywazin and SNYOWL mods 1 and 2. I was just doing it as a stand-in and they're more local anyway.

Thanks!

Fixed
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jaywazin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:11 am

jm6087 wrote:
PhantomSoul wrote:You can take me off of PNH NER mod and make Jaywazin and SNYOWL mods 1 and 2. I was just doing it as a stand-in and they're more local anyway.

Thanks!

Fixed

Thanks John!
jaywazin
State Manager
State Manager

Postby tonestertm » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:07 am

1) Almost every use of "place" in the article should be using "business" or "chain", or at the very least, "place name", but not "place", which is an individual point or area on the map. It is Place Name Harmonization, not Place Name Harmonization. (Though categories were included from the beginning, the main focus at origin was names. URLs came even later)

2) "Whenever possible, the aim is for creating the best search first in the instant results...."
=> "The goal is to maximize the likelihood that a user will be able to quickly find what they are searching for, first in Instant results, then in full search."
That's just a first crack at it -- it's quite late -- but we are not harmonizing searches, we're harmonizing results.
[ img ]
ARC for SW Region, USA
US Local Champ, US Country Manager
The best editors Read the Wiki and read it often. Learn the proper way to handle URs. Don't draw another Place until you read this!
tonestertm
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion