Speed Cameras

Post by DrivingWithBill
Greetings, In reviewing guidance I see that we do not acknowledge what is referred to as variable speed limit options, especially in school zones, however I have encountered in New York City that the speed cameras are all "variable" and only enforced 1 hour prior to the start and 1 hour after the end of a school day, which would be less than 50% threshold which we used for determining the speed limit for a road in a school area. Should the same logic be applied then to speed cameras that are not always enforced?
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager

POSTER_ID:17574084

Send a message
-Drivingwithbill

this space intentionally left blank

Post by Inactive user -1649923503-
While I agree there is a difference here, the point of speed cameras is to alert the driver of their presence ahead. Where a speed limit may be variable, if someone reports Police you get the alert for the speed trap and most people slow down. There would be no alert otherwise if you removed a variable speed camera. I think the benefit outweighs the risk.
Inactive user -1649923503-
Send a message
-John
-------
https://j.mp/1BqcgbWhttps://s.waze.tools/c5.png
VT - State Manager
New England - Multi State Manager

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Hey, thanks for posting. As you may know, there's no way to mark time-based cameras in Waze, nor is there a way to mark time-based speed limits, even if they follow a regular schedule. I see you brought this issue up in the New York forum already.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by Inactive user -1697532064-
Ah, so you're saying that there are permanently installed speed cameras which are mapped in Waze (so they always create alerts) but are only turned on <10 hours per week? You're right, the wiki doesn't address that, and maybe it should. I don't live near any speed cameras so don't have a strong opinion, but I could see the logic in removing those from the map or replacing them with dummies.
Inactive user -1697532064-
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message
Galaxy S20 FE on Mint
Retired SM Ohio
Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free.
-John 8:32

Post by DrivingWithBill
Right but if the logic is that a speed limit should only be what is the majority of the day why isn't this same logic applied to a speed camera as it is incorrect majority of the day and year. My question is not about the speed limit as it appears this is a dead issue and I am late to the conversation it is about the speed cameras which are time based.
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
-Drivingwithbill

Post by DrivingWithBill
Correct the speed cameras are in operation less than 12 hours in a day, which my understanding of speed limits should not be utilized. Granted I think the alerts are important but trying to understand the nuances to how you do things.
DrivingWithBill
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message
-Drivingwithbill