[Page Update] Detour Prevention Mechanisms

Post by Inactive user -1701074285-
Proposing an update to the Detour Prevention Mechanisms page to clarify what is meant by name continuity. The current page is ambiguous on what is required to be considered continuity, and the proposed update (draft here) adds clarification to state that only the street name, and not the City attribute, must match to be considered continuous.

Diff of current/proposed pages.
Inactive user -1701074285-

POSTER_ID:17200488

Send a message

I've been meaning to come back to this, but life got a little hectic for a bit. Thanks everyone for the feedback.

Subs5 nailed it with where I was coming from on this. When I was initially going over this as part of mentoring, I had to ask for clarification on what was required for name continuity as other aspects of WME where name matching is used (RPPs, specifically) look at the street/city pair as the "name."

The change to street name throughout was intended to serve the same purpose, to consistently make clear that it is the street name and not the full street/city pair of the segment that is being considered for purposes of continuity.

The general idea was to make it as clear as possible to someone looking at this page for the first time exactly what is required/considered when comparing routes for directness/continuity, and to do so with only minor changes to eliminate ambiguous statements throughout the entire body of the page.

I'll leave this open a few more days for any further comment, but based on existing feedback, will commit changes if there are no significant reasons presented not to. Thanks again!
Send a message

Page updated with these changes. Thanks again to everyone for the feedback!
Send a message

Post by Happy_Lyn
I agree, I like this bit-
For the purposes of detour prevention, only the name of the street itself must match. The city name can be different, and it will still be considered continuous.
and this bit
(city names are not required to match)
Happy_Lyn
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
Happy_Lyn

Michigan State Manager
WV Large Area Manager
PA Area Manager

https://s.waze.tools/c5s.pnghttps://s.waze.tools/beta.png

Saving routing, one soft turn and city name at a time.

Post by jm6087
I am not sure we need to mention "street name"

I do like adding something about the city for clarification:
For the purposes of detour prevention, only the name of the street itself must match. The city name can be different, and it will still be considered continuous
I think the only change needed is
For the purposes of detour prevention, the city can be different, and it will still be considered continuous
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by subs5
When you read the current wording the use of "name" is ambiguous. Adding the street for street name adds clarity.
Otherwise you need to go back and figure out if street name or city name was the last referenced and then that usage goes to the simple "name".
So for editors/readers who are not already familiar with the subject it makes it more understandable on the first read.
subs5
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 3
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree that it makes sense to standardize on "street name" here.
This makes for consistent usage, and uses the term "street", which matches what is actually found in WME.

I like the change to the definition of name continuity.

I like the change to the bracketing segments criteria.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Please make the change and post here when it is complete.
voludu2
Send a message