Post by DwarfLord
Kartografer wrote:I understand what "implicit entry point" means, but I think it can be confusing. [...] We should try to stick with the terminology given in WME as much as possible, and if an area place doesn't have an entry point, it doesn't have an entry point.
Thanks, I believe I understand your concern.

To me, if it swims like an entry point and quacks like an entry point, it's an entry point (note the lower case 'e' and 'p'). I'm open to the possibility that I'm misjudging the clarity of what is meant by implicit and explicit entry points, and I do recognize that those terms aren't used elsewhere at this time.

On the other hand I think they encapsulate the behavior nicely. And, although perhaps some readers will be lost, others may grasp the concept more quickly?

Anyone else want to offer a sense of how a naïve reader might interpret this? It feels to me that this language is pretty clear, but maybe I'm wrong.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
So, I gather that my proposed language regarding implicit and explicit entry points is not as clear as it could be; oh well :mrgreen:. Editor voludu2 made a suggestion in the USA Wazeopedia Discord channel, incorporated below.
Area place location details wrote:By default, each area place has an implicit Waze routes to an Area Place as if there were an entry point located at its center. This implicit entry point default behavior may or may not yield best routing results. , so To ensure optimal routing, it is recommended to add one or more explicit [[#Entry point|entry points]] to all area places except those typically used for display only, such as any place in the "Natural Feature" parent category.
Entry point wrote:An entry point (formerly known as a stop point) causes navigation to a place to end on the drivable segment closest to the entry point, rather than the [[#Location details|point place marker]] or the [[#Location details 2|center of the area place]].
In the Discord discussion, some suggested that the topic of how exactly entry points affect routing could use some additional work in a centralized location. I don't disagree, but I would suggest such an effort get a separate forum thread from this one.

Anyway, I hope this new proposed language addresses the concerns raised in this thread...?
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Since the only thing controversial about this seems to have been the choice of words, and that appears to be resolved, I've gone ahead and made the changes live. See the diff.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by DwarfLord
Kartografer wrote:Thanks DL! I changed capitalization of area place to make it consistent with the manual of style and the rest of the page
Thanks, and understood.

I am not convinced that it is clearer to the readership to treat terms for specific Waze functionality as common noun phrases. Please see my post inviting discussion on this topic.
DwarfLord
Wiki Master
Wiki Master
Send a message

Post by jm6087
If this is true on schools, would it not also be true on any area place?
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 21
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
Kartografer wrote:Outdoors and natural features categories (parks, lakes) may not need them, but schools and shopping centers should get them, at least for verification purposes.
Good point, I wasn't thinking about these kind of categories.

If using category dependent, I think that the options should be

Stop Point required
Stop Point not required
Stop Point recommended if area place is navigated to (some parks may need a stop point and others may not)
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
I like that
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
DwarfLord wrote:
Kartografer wrote:[...] each region has appointed one or more people as PNH moderators; they are given the authority not just to update the PNH tables but to make those calls in their regions.
Just curious, where should the OP go for a nationwide PNH ruling? If we can accommodate him with a nationwide top-down call, I imagine that would be better than a number of bottom-up calls by regional moderators.
I would suggest bringing it up with their PNH regional moderator to bring up to the group for discussion. My only point that I originally made (in the WMEPH forum) was that the wiki does not state that entry points are required on AP per the wiki. The way it is written is that the editor should decide if an entry point should be added, not have the script require it to be added to turn green.

With the way the current wiki guidance is written, I could see (and support) having WMEPH flag for the editor to review if an entry point is need but it should not prevent any AP from going green but that would probably be a vote among the mods. And ultimately for Mike to decide if it is possible to add.

I actually tend to add an entry point to most of my AP and PP places. I think they have more benefit than negative aspects to it.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
DrivingWithBill wrote:How does this move forward? WMEPH said taking it to the wiki, wiki is saying taking it to PNH? I’m confused on how to get this implemented?
Have you brought it up with your PNH moderator to discuss with the rest of the moderators?

NOR is Joyriding
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ

Post by jm6087
sketch wrote:I honestly see very little reason not to add an entry point to nearly every area place. Even if you just leave it in the center, at least there's now a visual indication in WME of what it's going to do.

Very limited exceptions for things like natural features (rivers, lakes, forests). But even on a smallish park with no defined entrance, it may be beneficial to have the "you are here" point on a certain road and not on another.
I agree, but that would be a wiki change.
jm6087
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message
Thanks,
John
US Global Champ