Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Area Place Minimum Size Requirement Update

Post by CitizenTraffic
Proposal to update wiki - https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Pl ... Place_size

Changes appear in Bold/italics.

Area places will show up in the Waze mobile app if they are large enough.

Some area places have a single recognizable structure useful as a visual reference for Wazers as they approach this destination from various directions. Subject to the constraints on area places discussed elsewhere on this page, the area place can be drawn to approximate the structure's footprint or outline, provided that the structure has:

∙ a meaningful name that is at least locally well known
∙ a size large enough to show in the mobile application

Change to:
Area places will show up in the Waze mobile app if they are a minimum of 500 square meters, or 5,382 square feet.

Some area places have a single recognizable structure useful as a visual reference for Wazers as they approach this destination from various directions. Subject to the constraints on area places discussed elsewhere on this page, the area place can be drawn to approximate the structure's footprint or outline, provided that the structure has:

∙ a meaningful name that is at least locally well known
∙ a minimum of 500 square meters, or 5,382 square feet
CitizenTraffic

POSTER_ID:17063191

Send a message
Last edited by CitizenTraffic on Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juliansean
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message
Sean Julian
CM
SM: TX, LA, MS, AR, OK
AM: SE FL, Boston, MA, Brooklyn, NY, Bronx, NY, Manhattan, NY, Queens, NY, E CA, SW KS

Post by ldriveskier
How are you going to determine the size of the place without scripts? Generally, all guidance in the wiki should be good for every editor, regardless of whether or not they run scripts (except the page that talks about scripts of course). I believe the only way to determine it right now, is to use the PIE script.
ldriveskier
Coordinators
Coordinators
Answers: 4
Send a message

Post by mhh60
I agree that this addition would be useful.
mhh60
State Manager
State Manager
Send a message
https://j.mp/2wVQ4lFhttps://image.ibb.co/mAzmyU/NYC_UR_Proj.png
SM NM | Booster GUY | AM GU,MP,AK,PR,KS,PCN

Post by ojlaw
can the wiki at least document the minimum size area place show in the app? seems like this can be done without making it guidance.
How are you going to determine the size of the place without scripts
for some simple shapes you could create segments next to the area place and use the segment length and geometry principals to figure out area.
ojlaw
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

Post by SunDevil2213
Agreed this should be added. My own testing has found that areas less than 500m2 do not show up in my app on my screen or on CarPlay - so having guidance that APs should always be at least this size would be helpful to reduce confusion on the subject.
SunDevil2213
Send a message
Thanks,

Ryan W.
SunDevil2213
AZ State Manager