[New] Lanes

Moderator: USA Champs

Re: [New] Lanes

Postby CitizenTraffic » Mon May 11, 2020 8:16 pm

LG Incomplete Error

Node shows black exclamation point when LG has been activated, but not completed.

[ img ]
“The road to your success is not a highway. You have to create it as you go.”
― Bangambiki Habyarimana

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
CitizenTraffic
State Manager
State Manager

Postby Doctorblah » Fri May 29, 2020 2:41 am

One aspect discussed in discord is to be clear & direct that LG and audible instructions do not need to match. To that end, under "When to override lane arrows" my suggestion is to add as follows:

This does not necessarily mean that the lane arrows should be forced to match the instruction. For example, there are times when a "keep left" instruction is best paired with "straight" arrows, or when a "turn right" instruction is paired with a slight right arrow. The lane arrows should be set according to how a driver would perceive the lane configuration, but the audio guidance should reflect the action to be taken.
Doctorblah
State Manager
State Manager

Postby FzNk » Fri Jun 19, 2020 1:30 pm

nzahn1 wrote:Sounds good to me. Something along the lines of: "Lanes that change direction based on time of day, day of week, or other schedule are not supported [[as of]]. Lane data should not be added to these segments at this time."

Without the context of this thread, that may sound as if it's guidance to not map reversible lanes. Perhaps that bears to be included, so I suggest this addition: "Turns that shift to different lanes and lanes that change direction based on time of day, day of week, or other schedule are not supported [[as of]]. Lane data should not be added to these segments at this time."
[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
NWR Assistant Regional Coordinator :: Oregon State Manager
Waze Beta Leader (Android) :: WME Beta
FzNk
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby jalondon628 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:21 pm

Thanks for this!

The more visual examples given, the better it will be for everyone. I know I'd appreciate examples of what not to do or ones which could potentially create problems. I've seen some discussion regarding the relationship of TIOs and lanes and I think that ought to be spelled out as well. I want to be able to refer to this when I'm having to solve URs down the line related to poor lane guidance.
Joel London (jalondon628)
Texas State Manager
SE FL Area Manager
Ward County, ND Area Manager

[ img ] [ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ] [ img ]
jalondon628
State Manager
State Manager

Postby jm6087 » Sat May 02, 2020 1:47 pm

Thanks Nick for putting it together.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Sat May 02, 2020 9:26 pm

jalondon628 wrote:Thanks for this!
I've seen some discussion regarding the relationship of TIOs and lanes and I think that ought to be spelled out as well.

In reality, TIOs and Lane guidance are completely separate functions and not related to each other. The only exception is that the TIO can be used to force a verbal instruction which will in turn force the lane guidance to show. I believe that this is mentioned in the upcoming wiki.

EDIT: It is mentioned at the very start of the wiki.
Lane guidance will only be displayed when a navigation instruction is given. If the best continuation is straight ahead, lane guidance will not be shown, unless there is a continue straight TIO.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 05, 2020 5:20 pm

wxw777 wrote:It might be nice to include an example/guidance of the proper way to deal with intersections that contain an AGC (especially those that don't have a separate lane). It may not be obvious to new editors that both the segment before and after the AGC may need LG to catch left turns.

There is no requirement for the segment before the AGC to have LG in order to show the left turn.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Tue May 12, 2020 6:13 pm

subs5 wrote:On ramps from / to interstates the wiki was updated a few years ago to allow the off ramp and then on ramp for the circumstances where a closure occurs at the segment between the ramps. For the most part there have not been a lot of bad routing problems reported.

Question is on the off ramp do we put lane guidance to continue straight to the on ramp?

That is not a normal path so should it be displayed as part of the lane guidance? Understand that it might be useful to map if there is signage like this location
[ img ]

But for the majority of the intersections are like this w/o signage.
[ img ]

If the straight arrow is green and it qualifies for lane guidance, you have no choice but to add the straight arrow t lane guidance, otherwise lane guidance won't display.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:13 pm

Machete808 wrote:Does anyone think the Wazeopedia page should include a brief explainer of the distance from junction when lane guidance appears? I realize that's more of an app issue than guidance on mapping, but it seems something that's not self-evident as you drive and may be worth a mention.

I don't think it would be a good idea, at least right now, since they are apparently still working on distance.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:14 pm

subs5 wrote:It appears that heuristics applies to the first geonode on a segment vice requiring the entire segment to be perpendicular.

So recommend adding a note about this to the H intersection section.

For some partial H intersections it might be prudent to have the median segment curve to match the road. In this case the first geonode should be placed to have the segment between the junction node and the geonode being perpendicular. An example is a one way ramp segment from an interstate/freeway exit onto a divided road when there is not an entrance across from it.

Example for an off ramp to a divided highway.

[ img ]
This is a new intersection this week so aerial is outdated. If you have the Lane Tools script this is opposite the side that has the coloration for lane guidance being properly enabled.
[ img ]

I am not sure if we want to promote a "hack". Hopefully they can have this fixed in future releases.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to US Wiki Discussion