Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by t0cableguy
CBenson wrote:My thought was to get into best editing practices. So I'm trying to address this problem here as well: viewtopic.php?f=276&t=158325#p1205075

Maybe I can move this part of the discussion into your forum post?
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by t0cableguy
I still think that the wording should be standardized between private and parking lot road and then once CBenson's current workup is live it should be linked from the road types wiki.
t0cableguy
Send a message
I'm no longer editing. Please don't contact me with things regarding Waze, unless you want the info on how to take over the SE URcomments list. Then email or send me a message on GHO at gmail.com t0cableguy@

Post by t0cableguy
KB do you have overlays? i have this issue often and we have to explain this too, often the FC stops immediately at the freeway instead of carrying over to the opposite side interchange. I could probably make some images for this issue.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
I think the rule for AGC's should be if the divider doesn't start more than xx feet before the stop line then it should not be mapped.

In some situations they are needed because of crazy intersection angles, but most of the time a true 90* intersection they do not provide anything additional.

NOO (drive this 2 days a week.. no way this needs any earlier prompt.

This one is directly south, and I have had an itch for a while to remove them... but no UR's so I leave it be.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
DwarfLord wrote:Almost a year ago I wrote up a draft AGC wiki article in an attempt to clarify when AGCs are and are not needed. The effort stalled when I found there were two very different perspectives in the community.

I'd think you have a good draft there. I'd post your version for the SE, if it was only up to me. I don't think waze prompting is unreliable, on the other hand, I feel that waze prompts the next turn preempts too much, or too early.

for AGC's I think HOW to draw these segments is just as important as WHEN to draw them.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
I'll agree to disagree on this one. I have not seen a single MP at the tampa bay/ dale mabry intersection. The turn lane backs up pretty quick as most traffic is going straight across the intersection, and waze will actually prefer to send me to the steinbrenner field entrance to the college over going straight, so I know waze isn't incorrectly penalizing the right turn.

This actually caused MP's and UR's before it was changed. notice that there are absolutely no barriers or dividers for the right turns. I dont dispute the need for the right turn agc's , and I'd actually consider adding left turn agc's for the relevant lefts if i hadn't driven through this and recieved the left turn prompt at the correct time.

Search Yeehaw Junction for its location.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
I'd love to get a keep instead of exit on some of these. I'm more pertaining to how you should place your geometry nodes to be sure that you get the prompt at the right time in the app. i have my method, which was pulled straight from the wiki. It works fine.. but alas it dissapeared.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy

Put geo node in the center of the lane(s) at beginning of solid white line. connect to road that it turns from. set at 30degrees.
(step not shown) Put uDogleg geo node to bring junction angle to 46-90 degrees. thus prompting an appropriate distance ahead of the "gore" by using actual geometry.

This is the way I do them IN PERFECT SITUATIONS.... when other turn lanes are present i will set them to prompt later.. to prevent waze from telling you to turn left onto xx when you haven't even gotten to some gas station or shopping center's parking lot road.

I'm not saying anyone else's way is wrong, but This is how i do them to get them to prompt appropriately. since there is no definite guidance in the wiki this should be allowed to be styled. I have seen some other user's edits and it seems to be there is no definite guidance, which ends up having editors go back and forth on these sorts of things, one person's style overriding another.

For exits, and I'm pretty sure this is still in the wiki... set geo node in center of lane(s) at last chance to LEGALLY enter ramp, IE solid white for inside lane begins or gore at exit for inside lane of exit. set at 15*. this once again allows the ramp prompt to be placed just ahead of the ramp entrance.

I can verify that this works well because i do check what i edit, and confirm that the prompts are ok. I even have asked other editors to check how the prompts are, too early too late, and they are surprised how well the prompts lay out with the method. the app goes to 0 just as you hit the gore, and the app prompts probably 100 or so feet before the ramp, as it should.
t0cableguy
Send a message
Last edited by t0cableguy on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by t0cableguy
I know how to hack an exit prompt, prevent one, and how to prevent an exit prompt, whether i think they are ok do to is another story. sometimes you need a keep right on an agc instead of an exit right, because said AGC serves multiple turn lanes and you have to enter it, and take the appropriate turn on the turn agc. <45 highway to non highway type (ie MH-PS) will always prompt exit, and many times that is inappropriate.
t0cableguy
Send a message

Post by t0cableguy
I didn't say proper ramp geometry has been removed. I in fact said i'm fairly certain its still there.

The method i referenced for agc's was in the wiki at one time. IDK what happened to it, and i brought it up once before. everyone seemed to think i was crazy so i just kept on chuggin because this is the insane process to get the wiki changed.

I think at this point any more comments from me are diverging into a useless conversation about things that are irrelevant to this particular wiki page.
t0cableguy
Send a message