Road category policy for India

Moderators: Unholy, cherianchris

Re: Road category policy for India

Postby komatineni » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:22 am

great and thanks for the lively discussion. helped me to update some roads in Andhra Pradesh.
komatineni

Postby cshubhra » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00 am

Good to see more editors coming up in India :D
Area Manager: Kolkata, India
Twitter Handle: @cshubhra
cshubhra

Postby vcoolvin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:00 am

Hi just reading all the communities created under India. i really think we all need to pick up the crowd as the community is really silent except for a few users.
vcoolvin

Postby vcoolvin » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:18 am

I have editted quiet a few roads but as i havent got a chance to go to the places where i have been before i discovered waze i am unable to make changes to them. Just today i have understood how to be an AM and so sent a request lets see what happens as i can see that the only AM for Kolkata that i know of is out of town. I am also aware of roads in Rajsthan, Orissa, Gujarat and cities like Bombay, Delhi, Bangalore, Bhubaneshwar, Cuttack and few more but i think i wont be able to edit until i drive in these cities again. Wish there was a way i could edit them to.
vcoolvin

Postby Parithosh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:30 am

Had a doubt. Would it be correct to set the road type of S.V. Road across Mumbai as 'Primary Street'? Currently it is set as 'Freeway' which I think is definitely not the type it is supposed to be.

Also is it like Waze would route more through Primary Streets than normal Streets?
Area Manager - Mumbai, India.

Parithosh

Postby cherianchris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 6:55 am

SV Road cannot be a Freeway in any situation. In fact, the only freeway of international standards in India ATM would be the Delhi - Agra Expressway.

Waze does prefer to route through primary roads, depending on the total distance of your route. There is a Forum thread explaining it. I'll get you a link to it Paritosh.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
Image Image
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby cherianchris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:16 am

And here it is,

viewtopic.php?t=22122

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
Image Image
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby Parithosh » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:07 pm

cherianchris wrote:SV Road cannot be a Freeway in any situation. In fact, the only freeway of international standards in India ATM would be the Delhi - Agra Expressway.

Waze does prefer to route through primary roads, depending on the total distance of your route. There is a Forum thread explaining it. I'll get you a link to it Paritosh.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2

The Western Express Highway is set up as Freeway. I don't know if that is correct or not.

I'm a bit reluctant on setting up S.V. Road as Primary Street because then Waze would prefer routing via S.V. Road which for most hours of the day, is crowded with moderate traffic.
Area Manager - Mumbai, India.

Parithosh

Postby cherianchris » Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:39 pm

Please go ahead and mark it as a Minor Highway. A similar procedure is being followed in Chennai, where arterial roads are updated as Minor Highways. And the roads, which link them to each other, are marked as Primary Streets.
Please ensure that you turn on the GPS Points before changing the road type. It will give you a very good idea of the amount of traffic using the road.
In India, All National Highways are Major Highways, and State Highways are Minor Highways again.
As you are in Maharashtra, while naming State Highways please use this format. MH-SH-**.
You might want to take a look at Chennai (The mapping is far from complete) to get a better idea. Use the GPS Points layer and compare the traffic density and the type of roads, which have been updated.

MB526 - > Tapatalk 2
Image Image
cherianchris
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs

Postby vcoolvin » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:36 am

Wow.... good to see the forum get active... This discussion is really important because i am sure everyone's concept of Highways is different and for better routing we all need to be on the same page.
vcoolvin

PreviousNext

Return to India