Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Replacing the Base-Map in India (now live!)

Post by Unholy
Hi Wazers,

We wanted to bring you up to speed in regards to some changes and updates in the Waze map of India. Due to unique commercial challenges we have just encountered, Waze base-map in India is being replaced with a new and improved map. The new map, which will be deployed over the next few days (see details below) is of much greater quality and coverage: it contains 9.7 million segments vs. 4 million of the current map and a total of 9.25 million streets vs. 3.82 million we have today.

Changing a base-map of a country is an extreme step for Waze that is seldomly practiced. We believe that in the India case, due to the greater quality and coverage as well as the unique commercial challenges we face, this change should be done quickly and that all users and editors in the country will benefit from it. The new map will allow us to gain more popularity and reach more Wazers in many more cities all across India.

Rest assured that all the editors' achievements and data will be saved and remain the same. That includes points for your past edits, editing rank, managed areas number of edits etc. Achievements of all Waze drivers, such as KMs driven, reports, update requests and achievements will also be saved. Waze credentials (user name and password) will remain the same.

There are a few implications you should be aware of:

1. Starting today, Sep. 11th and until Sunday Sep. 15th, the WME in India will be locked and not available due to infrastructural upgrades.
2. On Sunday Sep. 15th, the new base-map in India should be ready and available to all users.
3. Due to this transition, the entire existing map will be removed (all segments, nodes, landmarks, roundabouts etc.) along with all the changes that were done by the community editors up to this date.
4. The Waze app will be available through the transition period, and you should not have any problems using Waze on your smartphone.
5. Waze teams are ready to provide support and address any issues that might rise due to the transition.

We take much pride in the local community of Wazers in India, and believe that with the help of the local editors and users and with the new base-map, we can make this transition as fast and smooth as possible. We don't expect any major issues or delays with the transition.

We would love to get your feedback about the new and improved map through this forum. Waze.com/support is your address for all technical questions, as always.

Thank you,

Ori
Unholy

POSTER_ID:94248

Send a message

Post by vcoolvin
Kuhlkatz wrote:It may be that Google has more roads covered, but in general the Waze naming is far more accurate than Google's.
It's a pity that this part will not be retained.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

I agree, Waze POIs are more accurate then the ones on google maps and also i don't find any duplicate POIs. I have used google map maker and its a bit frustrating using that and i have seen many multiple entries for the same place with slightly different names and the old ones which have been requested to be deleted are still there after so many months and years too.

I guess we will have to make all the important POIs all over again.

vcoolvin
vcoolvin
Send a message

Post by vcoolvin
Woow this is a good news, I am very happy and sad too and excited as well, mixed emotions, As lunarplexus pointed out that only a handful of people are active and these are the people who have done a lot of work and so sad that it will be gone. But then happy and excited because there were places where too much work was needed to be done there isnt enough time to do it, would have taken months and years to complete them, but with the new base map it will all be taken care of and things are going to get eaiser for many editor. I am sure many more people in india will be attracted towards waze once this news reaches the crowd. Awesomeness.

vcoolvin
vcoolvin
Send a message

Post by Unholy
Hi folks!

...And we're on - The new map is now live in India!
Please try it out, we would love to hear any feedback you may have.

Thank you very much for your support, help and patience.

Ori
Unholy
Send a message

Post by Unholy
Hi folks,

We anticipate that the replacement of the map will be delayed once again.
Our current estimation is that the replacement will take place in the next couple of days.

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Send a message

Post by Unholy
Hi guys,

The deployment of the new base-map is delayed.

The deployment will take place on Sunday,September 22nd.

Thanks,

Ori
Unholy
Send a message

Post by Unholy
Hi Wazers,

Due to technical reasons, the replacement of the map will be delayed.
The new map will be deployed on Tuesday or Wednesday.

It is expected that the service will continue to function smoothly without any disturbances.

Thank you,

Ori
Unholy
Send a message

Post by senmaps
Thanks , That is a good move and Happy that all my edits in Google have started reflecting in Waze now. I stopped editing waze for sometime now (although couldnt resist adding some changes over last week) and concentrated on Google Map maker instead. Anyways happy to note that Waze will reflect all those changes ( no points earned ;-( )

Also got the answer to my earlier thread in this regard.
http://www.waze.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=171&t=53190

Regards,
Senthil
senmaps
Send a message

Post by madhuvsan
While I fully agree with lunarplexus and vcoolvin concerns, and so do we the editors in India shall more focus on MapMaker going forward than WME? Then waze can merge back from Google periodically. Otherwise I don’t see any point in fixing issues reported through Waze hence forth.

The other thoughts : Can Waze edits done by users be merged back to Google and then Waze completely take all the Google base map. This way both Google and Waze gets benefitted. But I am not sure how practical it would be. And this is how it should work in the interest of all Waze community..
madhuvsan
Send a message

Post by lunarplexus
Unholy wrote:Hi folks!

...And we're on - The new map is now live in India!
Please try it out, we would love to hear any feedback you may have.

Thank you very much for your support, help and patience.

Ori
I've noticed some problems with navigation where the purple line breaks and appears off-route somewhere else. Is this a base map issue, you think? I did put it on the app feedback thread but they didn't think it was an app problem.
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/07/ygatu4yd.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/11/07/uqy3azu5.jpg

Sent from my GT-I8552 using Tapatalk
lunarplexus
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wazers, keep on Wazin'!

Lunarplexus
Level 5 Editor | Area Manager: New Delhi NCR | Country Manager: India
Platform: iOS on iPhone 14