City names in Local Language Script

Post by praveent
Hi,

Can we standardize on usage of local language script for city names? I would have been great if we had alternate names feature for city like streets. It would have allowed editors to capture the city name in English and local language.

Pure local language is kind of disconcerting for a Telugu driving mostly in Tamilnadu. :(
praveent

POSTER_ID:16000782

Send a message

Post by cherianchris
Looking at this from a Global perspective, it isn't a good idea to have even one local language script on the WME, as it would just add to the existing confusion.

At the same time, it needs to be noted that Waze is indeed available in Hindi, which is the top five, most spoken languages in the world.

While the client needs to diversify, the WME, in the stage it is in India, after the base map import, needs some months to stabilise. Once we manage to stabilise the map in India, we could possibly look at adding regional languages. But as of now, having regional languages on the WME is not a good idea.

Chris
cherianchris
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
“It is not power that corrupts, but fear. Fear of losing power corrupts those who wield it, and fear of the scourge of power, corrupts those who are subject to it.”
https://www.waze.com/wiki/images/1/13/Monster.png

Post by praveent
Hi Chris,

Just to confirm. I will be change city names of segments which I edit to English.

Hope this is ok.

Regards,
Praveen
praveent
Send a message