For Professional Truck Drivers

Moderator: Unholy

Re: For Professional Truck Drivers

Postby adhdbankai » Mon Dec 24, 2018 11:11 pm

well tomtom sells nav systems for trucks little difference is only that you can put in height and that height is mapped on the map of course,, they price was a bigger difference in the device,,

but i agree adding an option to waZE making a truck as vehicle type allowing the user to set height of his vehicle ,, would increase the amount of waze users immense ,,, ,, and the mapping of the bridges / viaducts or other overhanging obstacles we truck drivers face on their road have the obligation to map it if we get such option ,, we waze users have our wayze of helping out right

wouldn't mind if the height option would be premium feature if its very affordable priced
adhdbankai

Postby byefelecia » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:43 pm

I would imagine RVers and folks with horse trailers would be interested too, not just professional drivers.
byefelecia

Postby ClodfelterRV » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:52 pm

We have a 37’ fifth wheel and would love to be able to set height and details also. Then we could use one app for all.
ClodfelterRV

Postby commissar0617 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:56 am

SkiDooGuy wrote:Unfortunately this is a very hard feature to implement.

It has been inquired about several times, but long story short, don't expect it any time soon.

There are several MAJOR hurdles to overcome when considering trucks. Not the least of which include things like GVWR and road weight limits, seasonal weight restrictions, and heights of the trucks and overpasses.

Getting things like weight allowances and bridge heights would be paramount to that feature otherwise trucks would be routed down places they cannot go.

i mean, i drive a tow truck, and we're still usually subject to truck restrictions, but i'd settle for just being able to set vehicle type as truck, and not be routed down roads closed to CMVs. bridge height and GVW limits is not as difficult a prospect as you might think. most places already have such information published, i could probably have the entire city of st paul done in a day or less
commissar0617

Postby Faelandaea » Fri Oct 19, 2018 2:20 am

As a truck driver I would love this. Right now I use Waze for reports on hazards seen by the community, but have to rely on other apps for truck routing for clearances, etc. If Waze ever gives an option for Truck Drivers to have these sorts of routing, especially clearances and bridge weight restrictions, it would be epic.
Faelandaea Nicholas Dravin
Class A CDL Driver
Faelandaea

Postby iainhouse » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:03 am

Unfortunately, we already have a considerable amount of volunteers to map these features - the current Waze map editors.

We've been asking Waze for years to add things like height, width, length, weight restrictions: things that would benefit drivers of trucks of all sizes, RVs, people towing large trailers, large SUVs and so on. The answer from Waze HQ has been a consistent "we're not going to do it".

The map editor currently allows us to define restrictions based on vehicle types like "towing", "truck", "RV" but since there is no fixed definition of these vehicles - and most definitions would depend on a specific weight/length/width/height - they are worse than useless. They are an insult from an HQ who have said they aren't going to implement those vehicle types in the app either.

I don't want to crush your hopes. I applaud your wishes and would dearly love to improve Waze to cater for vehicles beyond "standard" cars and motorcycles. But realism suggests that self-driving vehicles with all these checks built-in may arrive sooner than Waze support. :(
[ img ][ img ][ img ]
UK AdminsUK WikiWaze FAQWMEFU Script :ugeek:
I want to go to a commune in Vermont and deal with no unit of time shorter than a season
iainhouse
Country Manager
Country Manager

Location: on the road from London to insanity, with Waze HQ in the driving seat

Postby jm6087 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm

sidaorb wrote:Surely a very simple solution would be to have an add button for users to place height, weight and width restriction points to the current map, these would then be visible to other users. Maybe on a separate on/off switch for this feature would mean 'car' drivers could disable it, similar to a POI catagory.

How would this be a very simple solution. Even if adding the button were simple, the volunteers would need to get the data to add and the app would have to be programmed to accept the data and differentiate between vehicle types.

Just because you can say it is "a very simple solution", doesn't mean that the actual coding is as simple as you think.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:49 am

steelguitarlane wrote:So Google is unable to do that which Garmin and Rand McNally have been doing for around fifteen years?

Does Garmin and Rand McNally offer a free navigation system for truckers (or the average vehicle user), not that I am aware of. Waze does not charge for their system either and does not want to have a paid version as of yet.

I am guessing that Garmin and Rand McNally have a dedicated navigation system for truckers and it is not part of the normal navigation system that the average car driver. Waze has not been interested into getting into that market as of yet.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Wed Dec 11, 2019 12:58 pm

world_qiiqc45i wrote:I don't understand how functions such as low bridges and width restrictions (UK) cannot be implemented as other truck GPS apps have this application.

As probably stated numerous times, you have to pay for the other truck GPS apps. Waze has said they currently have no intention on adding these features for various reasons, some of which are 'cost to write the program', 'possibly liability issues', and 'not what Waze is designed for'
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:27 am

usa_56lugs0o wrote:Suggestion to Waze

Make a “Pro level”
All the same features PLUS
height/weight restrictions
No truck route options
Are Scales open?
Truck friendly rest stop
No/fewer ads?
And IF there is ads you can target market even more?

Most of us would be willing to pay for that
And truckers are on the roads and highways more and will give you a better feedback on road closures and hazards

Waze does not monitor these forums. They have also been very clear that as if now they have no interest in shpporting trucks.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Next

Return to Waze Professional Drivers