Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

New iphone version 1.7

Post by
I just noticed a new version of the iphone client is live on the appstore, and I was curious about some of the new features...

Is there somewhere that says what the new features are and how they work?

I'm interested in the "auto-learn routes to your frequent destinations" feature... what does that do?

POSTER_ID:40214

Send a message

Post by e_lotan
It will check your favorite routes to see which one is better.
e_lotan
Send a message

Post by Elgirts
Dunno if it is because of v.1.7, but I have definately noticed a huge Improvement when it reports traffic. It also appears to do far better at finding the route I want to drive. Overall, I think this new version is much better.

I did notice however, it still sometimes drops my routing if I choose not to turn where it suggests. Instead of recalculating, it will sometimes just drop the route forcing me to have to re-enter it while driving.

Overall though, good job on this one!
Elgirts
Send a message
Green - 2012 Hyundai Accent / Former - Area Manager - Santa Clarita and Northern San Fernando valley, CA

Post by hallmike
That might be true if, and only if Waze has correct edited data for EVERY segment of EVERY route, which it doesn't. Waze thinks roads are one-way if they have only been driven in one direction. It has phantom turn restrictions. There are numerous unconnected segments it has to bypass by routing around. Until it has totally correct maps with exactly correct segments, I DO know better than it does. Just driving around doesn't fix all the map problems in Waze - they all have to be hand edited and until that happens, I want to have it learn as many alternative routes as possible. The more alternate routes it knows about, the better it will know which way is the best at any given moment.

Not only that, but I also know better than Waze when it comes to things like construction zones. There's no way to make it understand that road construction takes longer than a few hours. I also know about things like traffic density changes based on time of day, temporary road closures for things like parades, VIP motorcades, races, or street carnivals. I know my routes better than any GPS, and I always will. I win, not Waze.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by hallmike
Well, I did read your post, and if you think I repeated what you said, then you are contradicting yourself. I think you are speaking of a hypothetical time when there are thousands of people using Waze in my area every minute of every day. That scenario is a LONG way off, especially when in the last two months the closest Wazer I've ever seen has been 88 miles away in a different state. No one is giving Waze minute by minute traffic reporting anywhere around here, and therefore I know better than it does. You may not think you know your average speeds but I do. I've driven these roads thousands of times and I can tell almost to the minute how long it will take to get from one any point to another. People use me to judge their drive time for them. Just because you can't do something doesn't mean someone else can't do it. You have a rosy outlook on the future of Waze but your future scenario is a long way off and until then I know better than it does.
hallmike
Send a message
https://photos.imageevent.com/hallmike/ ... llmike.jpg ...when you care enough to Waze the very best

Post by hallmike
I resent that you think you know what I am and am not capable of. You don't know me so please don't try to tell me what I can and can't do, and what is or isn't over my head. I might be a mathematical genius for all you know, and that proves you don't know what you are talking about or who you are talking to.

Computers are only as good as the data that is inputted, and Waze's data is currently incomplete, inaccurate, and a long, long way from being correct. Until the day in the future when your Utopian dream of the perfect GPS becomes reality, I will always know my routes better and you will never convince me otherwise.
hallmike
Send a message

Post by JAMBRAM
+1 to WM!
JAMBRAM
Send a message
JAMBRAM/VOLWAZER
Waze 2.0.0.0
Samsung Omnia i910
WinMo 6.1, Stock Rom
2006 Dodge Ram MegaCab
Memphis, Tennessee

Post by khaytsus
Helloooo, Windows Mobile :(
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by naesstrom
Oh... might that mean we have a new Android client on the way to... fun :D
naesstrom
Send a message

Post by ocramc
I know it's not a big issue as it automatically confirms, but the bottom of the drive to dialogue is off screen when in landscape mode.
IMG_0111.PNG
(71.63 KiB) Downloaded 2737 times
Also, does this version fix the problem with reported speed cameras disappearing? Or is that a server side issue?
ocramc
Send a message

Post by padril
naesstrom wrote:Oh... might that mean we have a new Android client on the way to... fun :D
Yup sounds good.

So the process is that the iPhone get new features first then Android second :evil:
padril
Send a message