New iphone version 1.7

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New iphone version 1.7

Postby Shorty-CM » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:11 am

Not sure I understand why you would want do have it learn your alternative routes. I certainly don't know average speeds of all segments of roads better than Waze does. And I don't know how anyone could claim to. People always like to claim they know the streets and traffic better than any GPS possibly could, including Waze. Problem is, that is not true, and could not be true, at least not once Waze actually has a good amount of data for your area. The only time you would know more than Waze is when it doesn't have enough average segment speed data, and/or turning restrictions for your area's intersections are not yet correct. Once the restrictions are correct, it doesn't make sense to do anything except trust Waze's route, even when you think it's being stupid. Following Waze even when you think it's leading you on a poor route just means that that poor route will be getting better average segment speed data as a result, and in short order it will no longer bring you on that poor route, as better routes will become evident. You teaching it your "better" alternative route isn't going to help give you the optimal route anymore than driving poor routes will.

If you just want to continue driving your same old route regardless of how optimal it is, what's the point of using Waze? The whole point of using Waze is supposed to be to get the optimal route given current conditions. The optimal route isn't necessarily what you think it will be at any given time. The optimal route will always be the one that takes the shortest amount of time. So you take the average speeds of all segments, factor in current traffic reports, and calculate the shortest travel time from that. You will never be able to do better than that. A computer will always do that better than you, when given all relevant data. That means Waze wins, unless it has insufficent data. Your personal alternate routes are irrelevant as far as I'm concerned. And you thinking they're relevant is rather puzzling. Because you do not and cannot know better than the computer, unless the computer is data-starved.
Shorty-CM
State Manager
State Manager

Postby ocramc » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:24 pm

I know it's not a big issue as it automatically confirms, but the bottom of the drive to dialogue is off screen when in landscape mode.

IMG_0111.PNG
(71.63 KiB) Downloaded 2413 times

Also, does this version fix the problem with reported speed cameras disappearing? Or is that a server side issue?
ocramc

Postby JAMBRAM » Fri Feb 19, 2010 3:17 am

+1 to WM!
JAMBRAM

Postby khaytsus » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:11 am

Helloooo, Windows Mobile :(
khaytsus

Postby QuickOK » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:49 pm

Ehh, I think maybe they are still tinkering with passive reporting... it works for about 10 minutes and then goes out, it's a cycle. Anyway, I like how it doesn't show "treats" when you are zoomed way out. I've not tried routing yet, but the alternate route feature should be fun once we get a build-up of wazers in my area.
QuickOK

Postby Elgirts » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm

Dunno if it is because of v.1.7, but I have definately noticed a huge Improvement when it reports traffic. It also appears to do far better at finding the route I want to drive. Overall, I think this new version is much better.

I did notice however, it still sometimes drops my routing if I choose not to turn where it suggests. Instead of recalculating, it will sometimes just drop the route forcing me to have to re-enter it while driving.

Overall though, good job on this one!
Elgirts

Postby e_lotan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 pm

It will check your favorite routes to see which one is better.
e_lotan

Postby robin1979 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:28 pm

zzyzxuk wrote:Settings / General
(it's at the bottom)

There's something about it on the blog:
http://www.waze.com/blog/new-version-on ... -appstore/
robin1979

Postby padril » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

naesstrom wrote:Oh... might that mean we have a new Android client on the way to... fun :D

Yup sounds good.

So the process is that the iPhone get new features first then Android second :evil:
padril

Postby zzyzxuk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:03 am

Settings / General
(it's at the bottom)
zzyzxuk

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements