Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Post by The Fej
topic now locked, please see post with the latest beta 1.10.99.122

====

Update -
version 1.8.99.105 includes:
* Fonts fix (Critical for Nexus running OS 2.2)
* Edit map button (Landscape mode)
http://tiny.cc/1899106 (updated 242/06/2010)

====

Bringing the Android release up to par with the iPhone 1.8 version and with some items from the upcoming 1.9 release:
Mainly bug corrections, but also map color ehnahcements and scoreboard.
Almost forgot - ability to clear the map tiles cache to enable new ones to load.
http://tiny.cc/1899106 (updated 24/06/2010 00:45)
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management

POSTER_ID:64

Send a message

Post by The Fej
An alternative way to edit a road is by pressing it and choosing the properties option in the screen that opens. That enables to update the street name.
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management
Send a message

Post by The Fej
Correction version http://tinyurl.com/1899103

Updates and fixes:

* Fonts adjustments
* Roads width adjustments for HD screens
The Fej
Waze Management
Waze Management
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
I have no control over Waze, too.

So I decided to opt for the $0 Google Navigation which does not only the navigation part much better, but also the traffic information better than Waze does - plus Trapster, which does the speed trap part much better than Waze does...that's additional $0.

Plus I'm getting rid of the app with the worst support on Android that I've had.

Bye Waze, it has been a nice idea.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
I don't have that problem with any other company.

I'm down to one star on the market for waze. The next step will be hitting the deinstall button 'any day now'.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
That's good news.

Will it also support shutting down Waze upon leaving the car (via Car Dock, bluetooth disconnect, or intent)?
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
damaniac wrote:I get your point, however I don't consider it a top priority. If you integrate a car-dock mode you must also think of the people who use other solutions, where the phone doesn't switch into this mode. If everything else is running smoothly, then it's time to integrate such features imho...
Well, if it stops people from using Waze, then it stops me from getting their traffic jam reports.

I'm here for the traffic jam reports - so (for me) that's THE top most priority.

Police traps I can get from Trapster, routing information I can get from Google Navigation.

What's distinguishing Waze from those is the potential (!) to provide the best traffic information.
And what about the report feature?
I didn't say that there is only one problem. What I said is that this one is A very important (in my point of view) and B easy to solve.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
damaniac wrote:So it doesn't make sense when Waze stops working when you don't use it.
Your understanding of "when you don't use it" seems to be quite different from that of others. I consider running it in the background and providing data to others as "using it".

Waze shall shut down when you leave the car - not when you stop clicking around.

I think making it as maintenance-free as possible is essential to getting Waze on as many phones as possible.

Having to remember to shut it down manually will result in unnecessary reports of traffic jams and drained batteries.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
damaniac wrote:Android users are able to press the "exit" button, they are smart ;)
...but lazy. I got a smartphone because I want it to make my live easier, not more complicated.

Android can do great things (other OSs can't) - it would be nice if at least the most basic ones like automatic starting (does work) and stopping (does not work) Waze would be supported. We're not talking rocket science here.
StefanSarzio
Send a message

Post by StefanSarzio
From the glorious iOS announcement: "While some simpler implementations require the user to manually disconnect the app, waze has a different approach to background processing and shut down. When waze goes into the background, algorithms are applied to detect whether or not the device is in motion."

There's an simple and easy solution for exactly this problem on Android (without any fuzzing with 'smart' alogrithms doing educated guesses), allowing you to shut down Waze in a clean way at precise the correct time - yet you still didn't get that right, although that solution was available from the beginning...and was requested several times.

In case you see Waze on Android as some kind of second class citizen: why don't you just say that loud and send everybody over to Google Navigation?
StefanSarzio
Send a message