Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).
Post by rcocchiararo
I forgot to mention that the droid 2 has 2.2 officially, as the only available android version too.

Droid X will have the 2.2 update soon, and so will the galaxy S line.

IT IS A FROYO THING !!

thats for sure, on 2.1 waze crashed, yes, it froze the phone, yes, and sometimes i had to do a battery pull... YES

but on 2.2 (stock, cyanogen, sense, whatever), my phone REBOOTS every few minutes if waze is in the foreground... before it would crash, more often if i multitasked.

now, it can't be used.

so it IS worse on froyo :(

ps: still, waze is the only app killing my phone like this, i tired other GPS apps, including google navigation, google maps, the google maps "mod" "brut", and whatnot

only wase kills my phone like this.
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
thinking back a little... it may be a froyo thing, but in the END, waze should be coded in a way that DOES NOT overload it, and once that is acomplished, no reboots will happen...

once more, waze is the only app i know of capable of wrecking shuck havok
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
i noticed that waze never (or almost never, today my phone froze, but it could have been something else..) reboots my 2.2 android phone if its minimized.

When maximized i noticed that before rebooting, my "arrow" (i use the green arrow instead of a car), gets smaller, or the blue dot + circle appear, it then goes back to normal, and keeps tracking me, or the phone reboots...

if waz runs minimized, it still gives me points for new roads, as far as i could see, and tracks me too... right ?

you said more than once that you are working directly with google.. are they helping ?

ps: you also mentioned that you had fixed the crashes from pre 2.2 android versions, i guess those fixes were NOT released, right ? cause my motorola milestone with android 2.1 was far more usable than my nexus one, but it did crash a lot too. (it froze, or waze was closed, or similar, never rebooted)
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
brilliant idea comes to mind -> gets his milestone out of the box and uses it for waze sharing the nexus one internet conection -_-

no other workaround for now.
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
today i had a nice trip to my workplace using my nexus one wifi hotspot abilities to share internet to my milestone...

when i came back home my milestone kept saying "searching for network" :(
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
will this week be the week? :P
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
but will it ever come ? :(
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
well... it was "promised" once again for this week, thats ending today :P (unless they code on weekends :P )
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
svache wrote:Just read this topic and seems I have the same thing going on :(

After my GPS on my Touch Pro 2 broke down a few days ago, I bought the Galaxy S today, installed Waze on it, but I noticed it has several problems.

For one, whenever you have to input text, whereever (like usernames, passwords and such also), you can not use backspace when you make a typo. It also remembers the data you put in, so you have no way of redoing it if you have saved it accidentally.

Now, whenever I start Waze, my phone freezes and after a while it either resets itself or I have to remove the battery if it doesn't reset. It is impossible to use Waze with this phone apparently... kind of sad because it is a killer phone imho.

Soooo no Waze for me for the time being.. the Galaxy S can't use Waze and my TP2 has no working GPS anymore (which actually happened after installing the WM2.0 Beta version, but I doubt that had anything to do with it.. I had GPS problems before, and that phone was dropped quite a few times by my baby girl (no worries, this new phone will be kept away from her by miles lol)).
The backspace is a swype bug on NON standard text boxes (waze 2.0 will abandon the custom textbox, so that will "fix" it in the future). You can always use a diferent keyboard, or in waze options deactivate the phones keyboard (that will leave you with an UGLY waze kb, but backspace will work, just for waze, of course).

If your galaxy S already has android 2.2, you should wait before using waze, until 2.0 is released, if not, dunno, i was able to use waze more or less ok on 2.1
rcocchiararo
Send a message

Post by rcocchiararo
weird, on 2.1 it worked "fine" for me.
rcocchiararo
Send a message