New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Don't restart on "freeze"

Postby GroessterNehmer » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:05 am

grebble wrote:After several days of sudden crashes and force closes, today was a better day.

I'm on the same waze version and phone and had the same problem. But what I found is that when you just wait while the phone seems frozen it comes back eventually. Although it can take a couple of minutes.

What I just realized after a firmware update: it was the first time I restarted my phone. :D I am so happy that I got rid of my Samsung Galaxy and bought the Desire!
Area Manager Braunschweig und Wolfenbüttel
GroessterNehmer

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby grebble » Thu Aug 26, 2010 10:44 am

rcocchiararo wrote:brilliant idea comes to mind -> gets his milestone out of the box and uses it for waze sharing the nexus one internet conection -_-

no other workaround for now.

LOL, this really does work! Tried this with my Nokia 5800 without a SIM this morning, using WiFi tethering on my Desire. A bit fiddly to set up but enough to keep us going for the time being.

Good thinking rcocchiararo :)
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

Postby grebble » Tue Aug 24, 2010 7:08 am

Thanks for the reply Fej.

I echo most of the other replies on here: I agree that it is probably something to do with the OS getting overloaded, but it isn't specific to Froyo. I had stability issues with Waze on Android 2.1 as well, and it's no worse with Froyo. If anything, Froyo is better at handling it, as I haven't had to pull the battery off since I've upgraded.

As rcocchiararo said, Froyo has been officially released for the Motorola Droid and the HTC Desire, and others are following suit, so it's certainly not just the Nexus One that has it now. I can understand it if custom ROMS cause crashing, but mine is stock.

I hope you find a resolution soon. In the meantime I think I'm going to have to use Waze on my work Blackberry until the situation with Android improves.
grebble

Postby grebble » Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:45 pm

I have sent an e-mail to the devs asking them to comment on this thread and to let us know what the situation is.
grebble

Postby grebble » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:51 am

It's about a month for the full version, but the beta should be ready before then. I guess the reason for the delay on the beta is because they're still trying to figure out what is causing the crashing.

I seem to find that Waze is more stable when the battery is fully charged. Don't know why that should make a difference, but the crashes and reboots seem to happen far more often when the battery is low, regardless of whether or not the charger is connected.
grebble

Postby grebble » Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:22 am

unwallflower wrote:Guess I have to eat my words. In the past three days waze has gone from never crashing at all to rebooting my phone. I wouldn't call it unusable (yet, at least), but it has crashed twice in the past few days.

Great.

I've gone the other way. I had Waze running today for about 40 minutes, driving around, recording new roads, and it didn't crash once. Strange!
grebble

Postby grebble » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:00 pm

OK guys, I managed to get a response from someone from Waze on Twitter. Still no definite time frame on the new version, BUT they said they are still having problems with crashing that they're trying to sort out. So that's why 'any day now' has been three weeks so far. The crashing's giving them a nightmare too! :)

That might not be the news that everyone wants to hear, but it does seem as if they're taking the problem seriously at last.
grebble

Postby grebble » Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:30 am

unwallflower wrote:I sort of suspect that the older, less powerful phones are the ones having the force close and crashing troubles. That would explain why my friend's G1 crashes almost every time he tries to use it, while my Evo has rarely crashed at all.

Well I have an HTC Desire which is certainly not older or less powerful, and I have problems with stability. As I think I've said before, if I turn the auto-brightness off, it's better, but still crashes occasionally in navigation.

I am looking forward to a new version in the hope that it's more stable, which the devs have been saying will come out 'any day now' for the past three weeks. It's particularly irritating to see iPhone users being given brand new versions and features all the time, yet us lowly Android users can't even get a stable bog-standard version to work with. :cry:
grebble

Postby grebble » Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:04 pm

Yes it is a shame to see people quitting. It depends how much patience users have with the project. I for one love the concept, and that is the only reason why I'm sticking with it. We're indeed not paying for it, and it is still early days so issues will occur. However, that said, I have stopped using Waze on my phone until the new beta arrives, because of the stability issues. I won't go into how and why it crashes on my HTC Desire because I've said it before, and the devs say they are working on fixing the problem. It does, however, seem to be far worse when auto brightness is switched on, but one thing with Froyo is that it doesn't seem to freeze the phone any more, it just reboots it instead :lol:

Going by what has been said on the blog, the number of Waze users has absolutely skyrocketed recently, which is why the drives are taking so long to show up, and the guys need time to get the infrastructure sorted out to cope with it. I'm prepared to give them that time.

But Waze guys, please, ease off on the love for the sodding iPhone! You may argue that 'most' of your users are on iPhone, but even if, for example, 40% of your user base uses it (which I find hard to believe), that's still 60% - the majority - that don't. Issuing updates for the iPhone long before anything else, and really making a big deal of it, serves only to annoy the users of other platforms that don't have - and probably don't want - the overpriced, overhyped POS. Spotify (European music streaming service) have the same kind of philosophy, and really get flamed on their blog comments for it. It would be far better to have simultaneous releases for all platforms, and if that's not possible, at least have a beta available (even better, nightly builds as damaniac suggests), that we can try out and give useful feedback on.

I'm hoping for the new Android beta to be available for Thursday as I have a 250-mile round trip to make. Unfortunately, I'm not holding out much hope.
grebble

Postby grebble » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:39 pm

mortuus wrote:Something is wrong for me with this new version, when i enter program i cant access the menu, nothing happens when i press it, also icant zoom in or out as i dont see the buttons, i have uninstalled and try again same again, worked perfect previous version now the program is wrecked..

You'll probably get a better response if you contact Waze directly regarding that issue. Send an e-mail to alpha@waze.com.
grebble

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements