New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Important messages to community users. This forum is locked (waze staff only).

Moderator: Unholy

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.106

Postby Lemon » Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:07 pm

tskramp wrote:
mlangen wrote:
Lemon wrote:To anyone using a Nexus one with these beta versions, have you had the following problem:

My hypothesis is that while in Waze touch input near the bottom or in the bottom half of the screen is perceived as touch input at the very bottom of the screen.

I have had this exact same issue a few times. It's very annoying because it only happens with Waze. No other application causes this to happen.

Here is how I fix it most times. I lock the phone with the toplock button and then unlock it again after a couple of seconds. About 75% of the time the screen is fine. The other 25%... well that requires me having to power the phone down completely and restart it again. :cry:

That's what was happening to me when I had the calibration issue. I contacted HTC and had them send me a new phone, and haven't had a problem with it since then

tskramp, how old was your phone? i've rooted so i probably cant go down that route...
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby tskramp » Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:14 pm

Lemon wrote:tskramp, how old was your phone? i've rooted so i probably cant go down that route...

Ah, that's unfortunate. I have waited to root my phone so far because I had read about people having calibration issues. My phone was only a couple months old when I was having issues with it. I've had the replacement now for 2 or 3 months with no further issues.
Area Manager: Charleston, Mt. Pleasant, West Ashley, Summerville, Hanahan SC
Phone: Nexus One (Froyo)
Waze 1.9.0
tskramp

Postby rcocchiararo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:48 pm

Things i noticed on .105

1) it might heat my milestone a little more than older versions
2) it would hang after a marking an uncharted road, or randomly too

I wanted to try the beta because on the last official version i suddenly became unable to connect (i had gps, but no network).

ps: also, i think Maps in Argentina ara "a little to the east" compared to the real world :P
rcocchiararo

Postby khaytsus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:59 am

Lemon wrote:To anyone using a Nexus one with these beta versions, have you had the following problem:

My hypothesis is that while in Waze touch input near the bottom or in the bottom half of the screen is perceived as touch input at the very bottom of the screen.

When trying to report a problem on the bottom half of the Nexus One while in Waze, i am often presented with reporting a 'foursquare check-in' report, though i'm trying to report a 'chit chat'. It usually takes several tries to get to the 'chit-chat' report. Once i'm in to the chit chat, i want to enter a description, so i tap the description text box (near the top of the screen). No problem. I'm in the text box now, the keyboard pops up. Now i'm not using the android keyboard but Swype (you swipe to each letter in the word to create your text). Now i feel this way because in the Swype keyboard you can half your Swype path be recorded. When i start typing any key away from the bottom of the keyboard, that touch input is immediately recorded as a touch at the bottom of the screen. I assume this is what is happening when i am in the 'select reports' screen as well (why i get a foursquare check-in report when i want a chit chat).

This is hard to explain but is anyone else experiencing a similar issue on your Nexus One with Waze? This has not happened in any application besides waze since i've had this Nexus One (3 months).

Yeah, that sounds like "Nexus One Screwy ClearTouch2000". Touch one spot, registers elsewhere.

Next time it happens, go into standby for a second, hit power again.. Unlock as needed. Is it fixed?

I see this periodically, but not at all restricted to just in Waze.. In fact not sure I've ever seen it in waze.
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
khaytsus

Postby khaytsus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:00 am

mlangen wrote:

I have had this exact same issue a few times. It's very annoying because it only happens with Waze. No other application causes this to happen.

Here is how I fix it most times. I lock the phone with the toplock button and then unlock it again after a couple of seconds. About 75% of the time the screen is fine. The other 25%... well that requires me having to power the phone down completely and restart it again. :cry:

Oops, you beat me to it. Bingo. I almost didn't buy the N1 because of this and other problems with the touchscreen..
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
khaytsus

Re: New Android Beta Version - 1.8.99.105

Postby khaytsus » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 am

damaniac wrote:Hi,

I found a little bug in the new version 1.8.99.105. If you go to the Scoreboard and try to enter your Facebook name and password it doesn't allow any text. First it takes forever with the "Loading" message and when it displays the FB screen, you can click on the fields for name and pw, but it doesn't open the on-screen keyboard and if you use the Milestone hardware keyboard you can't enter any text.

BR
damaniac

PS: Trying the alternative login screen doesn't work too.

Me too.. Still same experience as (I think) 104, 105, and now 106.
USA Country Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
khaytsus

Postby StefanSarzio » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:34 am

From the glorious iOS announcement: "While some simpler implementations require the user to manually disconnect the app, waze has a different approach to background processing and shut down. When waze goes into the background, algorithms are applied to detect whether or not the device is in motion."

There's an simple and easy solution for exactly this problem on Android (without any fuzzing with 'smart' alogrithms doing educated guesses), allowing you to shut down Waze in a clean way at precise the correct time - yet you still didn't get that right, although that solution was available from the beginning...and was requested several times.

In case you see Waze on Android as some kind of second class citizen: why don't you just say that loud and send everybody over to Google Navigation?
StefanSarzio

Postby Lemon » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:55 pm

[/quote]
Yeah, that sounds like "Nexus One Screwy ClearTouch2000". Touch one spot, registers elsewhere.

Next time it happens, go into standby for a second, hit power again.. Unlock as needed. Is it fixed?

I see this periodically, but not at all restricted to just in Waze.. In fact not sure I've ever seen it in waze.[/quote]

I'll give this a shot. I assume standby being that the screen goes blank for a second and then bring it back up.

Is there any way to manually calibrate the LED screen instead of sending back to HTC?
Nexus One | Waze 1.8.99.104 | 2007 Volkswagen GTI | Twin Cities Metro Area Manager | Northeast Iowa Area Manager
Lemon

Postby rcocchiararo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:19 am

I have a motorola milestone.

Both .105 and .106 ended up hanging (or hanging my phone) after trips of an hour or so.

should i go back to 1.7 and see if it worked fine ?
rcocchiararo

Postby grebble » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:48 pm

StefanSarzio wrote:From the glorious iOS announcement: "While some simpler implementations require the user to manually disconnect the app, waze has a different approach to background processing and shut down. When waze goes into the background, algorithms are applied to detect whether or not the device is in motion."

There's an simple and easy solution for exactly this problem on Android (without any fuzzing with 'smart' alogrithms doing educated guesses), allowing you to shut down Waze in a clean way at precise the correct time - yet you still didn't get that right, although that solution was available from the beginning...and was requested several times.

In case you see Waze on Android as some kind of second class citizen: why don't you just say that loud and send everybody over to Google Navigation?

I agree, Stefan. I just find it very strange that multitasking has been present for years on WinMo, Symbian, Blackberry and Android, and it has just been taken for granted that the user will simply end the app when they've finished with it. But now 'The Almighty' Steve Jobs has finally got on board the multitasking bandwagon, suddenly the strategy is being rethought in a blaze of glory. Why, again, are iPhone users given preferential treatment? Or is it just that they can't be trusted to end their apps manually, just as they can't be trusted to hold their phones properly? ;) :(

I must say, the only app on my phone that is unstable and crashes regularly is Waze. Yet is was rock solid on my Nokia 5800. Maybe the whole app on Android needs to be re-visited from the ground up.
Area manager: East Northants, West Cambs and Peterborough, UK
Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0.4), Waze v3.0.2.8
grebble

PreviousNext

Return to Official announcements