HDB Block Numbers

Post by ThePeranakan
I think we need to start looking at a standardisation of the block/house numbers here in Singapore.

We have a uniquely dense Housing Estate system that would benefit from being properly reflecting a standardised numbering/naming/description system.

I am proposing following what Google/Street Directory/Periplus has been doing, and that is to keep the naming of HDB blocks to the number alone. This will allow for quick reference of the blocks in the map while we are driving (rather than a whole host of information including Estate name/road name...); after all, if we are in Tampines, we know we are not in Bedok, having the road/estate name would take up precious screen space.

And since we actually have a description for landmarks, we should use that for the actual address INCLUDING postal code

This is an example of my proposal:

Others for the type of landmark, as apartment blocks/public housing is not an option.

I am also using street.com.sg as it seems to be simple and easy to copy and paste (without the illegal overlay method).

This is completely up for debate so I do welcome a discussion.

Thanks for participating! :)
ThePeranakan

POSTER_ID:8969945

Send a message
Last edited by ThePeranakan on Sun Oct 14, 2012 8:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

Post by Arachnidriod
[quote="digitium"]Updated: Oct 10, 2012

After much back-and-forth, despite the Singapore terminology (by the govt and HDB) of Public Housing, a HDB Block is definitely not a “Public Building”.

The Community Centre, Multi-Purpose Hall, Neighbourhood Amphitheatres, even the Marina Barrage are all Public buildings, as everyone has access to them.

HDB Apartment Blocks for all intents and purposes are just collections of privately "leased" apartments and only the lessee and their visitors has access (just like in Private Apartments, Condos, Gated Communities)

To keep inline with a Global Nomenclature, this is a good example from Ukraine (as quoted in another thread you started): https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... TTTFTTTTFT

What to put in the Landmark Type & Name Field for HDB Apartment Blocks
We should just label them “Others” (FOR NOW) and in the Name field, we simply put the apartment blocks numbers so that when we’re driving nearer to that area, they are easily visible on the map.
If a "Residential" option comes up, we can just change it in time to come (and get points for each edit) :)

So this is the reason you run all over my edit and change every block from "Public Building" to "Others" w/o even asked, and i see you did that to other estate as well.
First of all you mention even HDB also didn't want to classify what's a HDB flat, but you're 100% sure it's not public building.
You say it's privately lease and only lessee and visitors has access, did you ever get blocked at the lift or staircase by security guards or locked in a lift for not being a lessee or visitor of lessee.
Any tom dick n harry also can access HDB flats at all time except the units itself.

It's Public Housing build using public's money and the flats is also under control of Building's Act so why it's not Public Building.
As with all other Public Building like CC, Libraries, can you suka suka go into their staff compound or manager's office and sit or borrow things ???
Just as even public toilet is classify as public building but when you run out of 10 cents and was refused entry is that consider not public building anymore. :mrgreen:

http://cms.nea.gov.sg/cop_copeh_pt.aspx

Even the Ukraine example you quote also uses Public Building . :lol:

I didn't change back to public building as if really makes no difference as they're not color coded yet.
Just think what happen if they start using different category had different colors, say yellow for public and red for private ... are you going to re-run the whole Singapore and change the others to public building.
Arachnidriod
Send a message

Post by floppyrod84
I wonder how OSM has done this...

Sent from my GT-I9100P using Tapatalk 2
floppyrod84
Send a message

Post by MaxTSS
If you just put HDB Block numbers, you search only by block numbers?
MaxTSS
Send a message

Post by MaxTSS
Osm?
MaxTSS
Send a message

Post by MaxTSS
Suggestion: since we only search by name, then why not we put block and postal code eg. Blk 322 S560322. Hence you have ease of searching by street and postal code? And it's not that long to cluster the map.
MaxTSS
Send a message

Post by MaxTSS
I tried 4Square to checkin and it ALWAYS give me to the wrong location!!!

I almost fainted. hmmm I couldn't find Changi Airport on Waze but luckily Google showed me Changi International Airport.

I am still quite puzzled by the services LOL.
MaxTSS
Send a message

Post by ThePeranakan
Issues to clear:

HDB Blocks are Not Gas Stations
I know back in the cartouche days, there may have been limited choices, and a lot of the blocks are considered "Gas Stations"

I am suggesting that editors not only add the block & block numbers, but to clean up existing blocks that are "long-named", and labelled gas stations :)
ThePeranakan
Send a message
Last edited by ThePeranakan on Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ThePeranakan
Updated: Oct 10, 2012

After much back-and-forth, despite the Singapore terminology (by the govt and HDB) of Public Housing, a HDB Block is definitely not a “Public Building”.

The Community Centre, Multi-Purpose Hall, Neighbourhood Amphitheatres, even the Marina Barrage are all Public buildings, as everyone has access to them.

HDB Apartment Blocks for all intents and purposes are just collections of privately "leased" apartments and only the lessee and their visitors has access (just like in Private Apartments, Condos, Gated Communities)

To keep inline with a Global Nomenclature, this is a good example from Ukraine (as quoted in another thread you started): https://world.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&l ... TTTFTTTTFT

What to put in the Landmark Type & Name Field for HDB Apartment Blocks
We should just label them “Others” (FOR NOW) and in the Name field, we simply put the apartment blocks numbers so that when we’re driving nearer to that area, they are easily visible on the map.
If a "Residential" option comes up, we can just change it in time to come (and get points for each edit) :)

And if you feel so inclined, the full address could be "kept" in the Details section, so that if and when address/postal code is available for that landmark type, we can transfer it accordingly.

Regarding Multi Storey Car Parks?
Instead of the long names, just use "Block Number" MSCP, so the MultiStorey carpark in AMK central near the mosque should be 700 MSCP and 712 MSCP, and not simply Multi Storey Carpark.
ThePeranakan
Send a message

Post by ThePeranakan
Originally Posted at the official Map Editing Section

As much as I would like to make Waze the best Navigation Software, allowing Singaporeans to find there way to exactly where they want to go... (including postal codes and street addresses for search reasons), it is always going to be a debate on screen real estate vs user-friendliness vs functionality (something I already fight with in my actual job).

I will use the following to illustrate the issue.
Both Live Map images are already at the maximum "zoom-in" position (which is similar to that of the Waze Phone app)

This first image is in Tampines.

You will notice that if we keep the Names of Housing Blocks to just the block numbers themselves, it is actually easier to spot the blocks you want to go to.

For Bedok, other than some blocks which I have since edited (on the right side of the map), the other blocks have more information. Once anything more than the block number is included, you will start to lose the information for blocks in between.

Obviously there are some who for personal reasons or otherwise, will insist on doing it their way, as a fellow editor, I can only respond by saying that everyone's entitled to their opinion and reasoning, but I follow the convention that onemap.sg and Google follow.

This is how Google sees the streets in Tampines (same location is the first Live Map image)

This is how onemap.sg sees the streets in Bedok (same location is the second Live Map image)
ThePeranakan
Send a message