Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

batusaikiller making bad edits

Post by SRASC
Writing concerning user batusaikiller who has been editing the street names & putting their full names, i.e. Main St to Main Street.

I would have PM'ed him directly but can't find his/her name in the forums users list. I've undone a couple of these but there are plenty more & he/she would likely continue to do so. Most of these such edits were made sometime today.

He/she has been doing these edits in Trinidad & Tobago around this area

Thanks.
Waze convention is to use suffix abbreviations in street names. ("Main Rd" instead of "Main Road")
SRASC

POSTER_ID:14682042

Send a message

Post by aaquing
yea we all made some bad edits in our time. i myself was blocked for putting wrong street names a few times in a specific area and was reported, blocked and contacted by the admin. but dude, almost 18000 points in a week is seriously pushing it in terms of editing though
aaquing
Send a message

Post by batusaikiller
HI All,

This is (and from reading the forum posts, apparently infamous) batusaikiller.

Allow to address the concerns listed on this forum about my edits. First of all it was not my intent to make any "bad" edits or to do any edit out of malice. I must admit that I was not aware of any convention Waze had concerning street abbreviations before I made those edits. It was only after I noticed read something that sort of explained an established convention on Waze's UK editing site https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Edi ... d_Kingdom).

Note that all of my edits were intended to be legit corrections as I saw a lot on inconsistency and misspellings on the Trinidad and Tobago map. For example, the end of a street name was either "Street" or "street" or "St" or "st" or "ST" or "St." or "st." or "Str" or some other variation. When I saw this I decided to have one consistent spelling and used my own convention (again, this was before I knew of a Waze convention) to allow easier reading for both human and software. My edits were not
bad edits
but instead were misguided. I am more than happy to adjust the names to the abbreviated format as guided by https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Edi ... d_Kingdom) unless there is a separate guide for Trinidad and Tobago edits in which case please share with me and I'll be happy to be guided accordingly.

With regard to the specific post concerning
Unfortunately since I posted this I found out the problem is much more widespread than I initially thought, including adding every road/passage in a mall's parking lot, though I corrected that for the most part.
, I only corrected the misspellings that already existed in that parking lot. For that Trincity mall parking lot the name of the streets were spelt "Trinicity". I also agree that the streets of a parking lot should not be named but those were already there so I just followed the "convention" that I saw.

I also noticed some edits made by previous editors that seemed to be ported directly out of http://www.openstreetmap.org/ but were incorrect to begin with. Some of those areas are places I know well but the names were wrong.

I will repeat my none of my edits were intended to deface the map, on the contrary, there were made with the intention of improving the quality of the information.
batusaikiller
Send a message

Post by houndtt
batusaikiller wrote:I will repeat my none of my edits were intended to deface the map, on the contrary, there were made with the intention of improving the quality of the information.
Don't worry guy, we've all made some mistakes with the maps at one point or another. Glad to welcome you to the community... the presence of map editors is better than their absence. ;)
houndtt
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I moved this here out of the general forum. Is there a Country Manager or senior editor from Trinidad and Tobago who may be able to handle this?
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
I sent an email to an administrator to see what can be done. I just realized that even a CM from Trinidad and Tobago can't do much more than contact an admin since the PMs don't work.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
lakj100 wrote:Hi,
Unfortunately, the only way to prevent this is either to PM the them or lock everything. I've tried both in the past with other editors and they don't respond to the PMs and complain about the locks.
The user has been sent an email by administration and if there is no response within a week or so, the user will be blocked from editing.
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by jasonh300
batusaikiller,

The main concern was to get in contact with you so that you could be informed of the editing guidelines. Unfortunately, we couldn't contact you through the forums because you didn't have a forum account, so we had to go through an administrator to reach you through e-mail.

Now that everyone is on the same page, please stay in touch with your other local editors through the forum so that everyone can cooperate and make the maps consistent.

Thank you!
jasonh300
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by lakj100
Hi,
Unfortunately, the only way to prevent this is either to PM the them or lock everything. I've tried both in the past with other editors and they don't respond to the PMs and complain about the locks.
lakj100
Send a message

Post by SRASC
My bad. The last sentence in the post included the permalink to an affected area, but I forgot to put it back in during the copy & paste.

Here it is.

Unfortunately since I posted this I found out the problem is much more widespread than I initially thought, including adding every road/passage in a mall's parking lot, though I corrected that for the most part.
SRASC
Send a message