The news is out!

Moderator: Unholy

The news is out!

Postby delilush » Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:30 pm

Hi Everyone,

We wanted to share the overwhelming press reaction Waze got for Toll pricing. And this is just the reaction after a few hours of the feature being live (: Again, a huge thank you, we couldn’t have done it without you!!! Special shout-out to the editors who gave us quotes to share in our press release.

Some quotes we wanted to share with you:

• “The tolls feature was built with the help of Waze’s “robust community of local volunteers,” according to the company, which further underscores the most important thing about Waze, that it uses crowdsourced data to deliver a navigation experience other apps can’t match.” - BGR
  • “I’ve been a Waze map editor for three years now and working on this feature has been the most complex so far,” says map editor John. “We are using an entirely new tool that Waze engineers created for entering toll road information – where we input a large amount of data, from the pricing for different types of toll road passes to the entrance and exit points for toll roads.”-iPhone in Canada
  • “Royz said Waze couldn't have done it without vast team of volunteers who help to build the app's maps, who offer edits and keep the streets up to date all for the love of maps.” - Business Insider
  • “While toll roads aren't a daily factor for most US drivers, for those in major cities where frequent toll booths are a fact of life -- Chicago, I'm looking in your direction -- this new Waze feature could be particularly helpful.” - CNET
  • “The new feature will certainly come in handy for Canadians traveling to the U.S., especially at border crossings such as the Detroit-Windsor Tunnel or the Seaway International Bridge, as well as on the country’s 8,000 kilometers of toll roads.” -iPhone in Canada
  • “This is above and beyond what you’ll get in most navigation apps… you’ll get the [toll] amount — sourced from its community of user-drivers, rather than direct from the official toll road operators.” - TechCrunch

Here are just a few of the articles published in North America - feel free to share them:

delilush
Waze Team
Waze Team

Re: The news is out!

Postby jm6087 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:44 pm

marvinf wrote:Thank you for all the hard work and efforts to post the tolls of different routes. I would like to suggest one more feature in the menu choices, instead of toll roads and no toll roads, how about adding the less expensive tolls when there’s a choice

For example, where I live there are four different ways to get to work, and three of the cases the tolls are between $14 and $16, but the path I prefer to take only costs $4.50. Yes it may add two minutes or three minutes onto my travel time but to save $10 a day it’s worth it.

To change the switch from tolls/no tolls to tolls, cheaper toll route, avoid tolls.

Since the toll prices are showing in the app, as long as you don't have "avoid tolls" selected, you should be given a couple of toll option (when available) so that you choose how much you are willing to pay.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:43 am

kahlcolimon wrote:Congratulations for the effort and dedication in the materialization of this improvement. Like almost all creations, corrections will surely have to be made, but every good work comes with some sacrifice. In my country we still have some problems with the proper implementation. We hope to solve these details with due support.

Kahl,

Please feel free to PM me if you like and I can see if I can help with some of your issues.

You can also reach me in Discord DM
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby jm6087 » Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:13 pm

marvinf wrote:I hope that my initial comments on this topic will be a catalyst to make this small additional change on a wonderful application that me and my family use and rely on every day, Keep up the good work, and we’re all looking for new solutions.

I would suggest going to the App Feature Suggestion Forum and following the guidelines there to suggest app features.
jm6087
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs

Postby kahlcolimon » Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:34 am

Congratulations for the effort and dedication in the materialization of this improvement. Like almost all creations, corrections will surely have to be made, but every good work comes with some sacrifice. In my country we still have some problems with the proper implementation. We hope to solve these details with due support.
Kahl Colimon
Waze Colombia Coordinator/MTE Marshall
Waze Local Champ Mentor/Country Manager
App Beta Leader/WME Beta Tester

[ img ][ img ][ img ][ img ]
kahlcolimon
Coordinators
Coordinators

Postby marvinf » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:42 pm

Thank you for all the hard work and efforts to post the tolls of different routes. I would like to suggest one more feature in the menu choices, instead of toll roads and no toll roads, how about adding the less expensive tolls when there’s a choice

For example, where I live there are four different ways to get to work, and three of the cases the tolls are between $14 and $16, but the path I prefer to take only costs $4.50. Yes it may add two minutes or three minutes onto my travel time but to save $10 a day it’s worth it.

To change the switch from tolls/no tolls to tolls, cheaper toll route, avoid tolls.
marvinf

Postby marvinf » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:35 pm

It absolutely does post three possible routes But not the cheapest route. For me it offers a trip over the George Washington Bridge into New York City, using the Palisades Parkway as access, Second route is there route four and the Garden State Parkway to the George Washington Bridge, and the third route is through the Lincoln tunnel. The fourth route which is not listed as across the Mario Cuomo Tappan Zee Bridge, and the Hudson river bridge, total total only $4.50
marvinf

Postby marvinf » Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:26 am

I hope that my initial comments on this topic will be a catalyst to make this small additional change on a wonderful application that me and my family use and rely on every day, Keep up the good work, and we’re all looking for new solutions.
marvinf

Return to Toll Pricing