Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

ASAP - I-495 intx I-66 in Washington, DC Area

Post by
:!: At the intersection of I-495 and I-66, the Left exit from Northbound I-495 to Westbound I-66 has been permanently Closed. This change is needed ASAP!! The ramp is locked, otherwise I would change it.

POSTER_ID:1747959

Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Because this is going to be out for some time until the new ramp, which is visible in aerials, is in use, and because Waze will likely still route over a no entrance road, I went ahead and disconnected it from the 495 side, just to be sure. The penalty would be elevated for routing across a no entrance road, but it might not be higher than the segment/junction penalty of routing a different way.

EDIT: Crap. Google had it disconnected already. We need proactive notifications prior to closures! :o

PS. But I sure do appreciate the notice posted here.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Who did the reconnect? Any news articles about it? DOT info?

How does the ramp compare to gps points? The new ramp location was to be slightly different than the original.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:I don't really think there is to be a new ramp. If I understand correctly, Lexus lanes are being added to this section of the Beltway and the new bridge is to service the Lexus lanes.
True. I was meaning the ramps for the new HOV lanes, for which aerials already have the some of the new construction. It's pretty close to the old ramp. https://www.waze.com/cartouche/?zoom=6& ... =-77.22236

I see no GPS tracks yet which align with where the new HOV ramps will be.

The stub of a ramp which used to exist in Google Maps which I lamented earlier in this thread, is completely gone now. I don't think this exit exists.

There is also a new update request just south of the area at issue: "66 west is now a right exit off 495n, not a left exit any more".
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
CBenson wrote:Given that the update request was submitted 5 days after the last edit to ramp, I have gone ahead and disconnected the ramp again. If anyone has information that is incorrect, please bring it forward.
Dumb map delay refresh problem.... Make sure you lock the segment, delete the I-495 junction and lock that segment of 495 too. He's only a Lvl 0 so that should prevent that particular user from reconnecting it.

Someone needs to clean up some Update Requests in Virginia
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Which is why, when you see a high-ranking editor has disconnected it and even locked it, YOU SHOULD NOT TOUCH IT!

GPS points in the last few weeks my ass.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
The ramp isn't there in the editor but it is still in the client. The update to the ramp to disconnect it in the app has now been caught in the "Waze map update process not running"-deal as they work on stabilizing the infrastructure code.

--
If it looks strange, or I used bad grammar or misspelled anything, it's my phone's fault.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I threw in locks on the freeway segments on both sides as well. More locking to prevent connecting of a new ramp, should the offender choose to continue to make incorrect edits.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
meredith wrote:New ramp is nice! I like not being dumped in the left lane.

I did the bulldozer and it drew the red line. Now what? It said it would be on my dashboard, but I'm pretty clueless about the cartouche.
The recorded road will be transfered to the editor in a few days. It doesn't seem consistent on the timing. FYI, Papyrus is the current default map editor, even though "cartouche" is in the URL. Cartouche is "old_cartouche" in the URL.

Once it appears you can change it's geometry, name it (to confirm it so it doesn't stay red) and connect it.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by bgodette
WeeeZer14 wrote:Maybe members of the construction crew are running Waze ;)
That's not so far fetched. I know for a fact there's at least one or two working new overpasses and interchanges out here in Denver. Multiple GPS tracks through major construction sights for instance.
bgodette
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Post by CBenson
I'm looking at the ramp in the old cartouche and see no lock. Maybe I'm looking at the wrong ramp.

I'm not familiar with the construction over there, but are you saying that there is no exit from the Inner Loop of the Beltway to I-66 W at this point? That seems strange to me.
CBenson
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message
Regional Coordinator: Mid-Atlantic, US
Verizon, Nexus 6, Android 6.0.1, Waze 4.7.0.902