A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Moderators: Unholy, bextein

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

Re: Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby ncc1701v » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:45 pm

orbitc wrote:Nice one. :)
Let's wait until tomorrow for this. I'm sure others will look at it and chime in if they appose us doing a split and raised (bridge like middle) road for the middle.

As far as I know that's not a road at all, it's a roof over the trains... but I've never tried to go up there.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk HD
ncc1701v

Postby Wajo357 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:06 am

ncc1701v wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:I'm a little torn with the railroad issue. Because most intersections between roads and railroads have those railroad lights. If we don't have a node split at that intersection, Waze won't get the correct metadata for that intersection.

First, you don't want a real junction because Waze might someday try to route a car onto the tracks. Second, if you have a junction in the road with no other roads (or tracks) intersecting it, my feeling about putting in fake junctions to show details of congestion is that they serve no purpose. If you can't get off the road, if Waze can't try to find you an alternate route, then what you want is the congestion for the whole real segment.

ncc1701v,

I believe there were a few Waze generated map errors, today alone in my editable area, where it WANTED a junction with the RR. See one of my previous posts. I don't want us 'fixing' all of these issues, to only have Waze tell us constantly that it wants us to put it back in. And people will, if they see the notifications.
Wajo357

Postby ncc1701v » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:48 am

Wajo357 wrote:I'm a little torn with the railroad issue. Because most intersections between roads and railroads have those railroad lights. If we don't have a node split at that intersection, Waze won't get the correct metadata for that intersection.

First, you don't want a real junction because Waze might someday try to route a car onto the tracks. Second, if you have a junction in the road with no other roads (or tracks) intersecting it, my feeling about putting in fake junctions to show details of congestion is that they serve no purpose. If you can't get off the road, if Waze can't try to find you an alternate route, then what you want is the congestion for the whole real segment.

ncc1701v

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:11 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:142.) Segments should remain freeway, BUT they should have wayfinder segments leading to them so people are told where they need to go. West bound was easy. East bound I am staring at because of how close exit 48 is. I'll have to think about that.

How about pulling the exit 48 ramp split back to before the freeway split?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
ncc1701v

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:06 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:And anyone know how Waze would say "RFK"?

I don't remember it saying anything strange on Sunday, so it probably did it right.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 2
ncc1701v

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:06 pm

Wajo357 wrote:I guess what I'm trying to ask, is why not just follow the wiki?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_(USA)#State_Highways

Is it just a matter of saving space? Because I think most drivers would be a little confused over what SR is and maybe try to edit it to NY or something else.

You think so? 'round here if I heard "State Highway 34" I would say, "Huh?". We just say "34" or "route 34" for everything, state or national or interstate. "State route" seems like a pretty good compromise. But I'm strongly in favor of consistency, so I would appreciate a national plan with explicitly listed exceptions.

Sorry for the hijacking, this should probably go to a different thread.
ncc1701v

Postby Wajo357 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:01 am

Spil wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:Interesting that the name for your highways are using the shorter nomenclature typically used for ramps instead of the recommended naming on the main wiki page discussing road names. Is there a reason you guys are taking this approach?

Interesting that you should ask that ;) ... I just posted something about this last night in another thread (here):
Spil wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:and where do you come down on "SR-xx" vs "State Hwy xx" (on the main road, not ramps)? Is the Road Naming wiki page considered authoritative? Or rather, is it considered authoritative by a majority? :-)
"State Route" is preferred over "State Highway" by New Yorkers pretty much everywhere that I've been in the state. The decision to go with "SR-##" rather than "State Hwy ##" was primarily to reflect this preference, and go with the option that took up the least real estate on the screen while still having the TTS call them out as "State Route ##". The ones that you see that are still "State Hwy ##" are named that way because that's how they came in from the basemap import, and they haven't been worked over thoroughly by someone following the current NY guidelines since the change to "SR-##".
AndyPoms wrote:I'd like to add that there is a push to try to get Waze to support things like NY-## which would display on the client as "NY-##", but TTS would say "Route ##" for NY, but "TX-##" would become "Highway ##" in TTS.
Personally, I would love to be able to use "NY-##" as the name and still hear "State Route ##" on the TTS, and if Waze ever does decide to act on that increasingly popular request, I'll be among the first to push for the switch to "NY-##". Until then, however, "SR-##" best represents the best compromise between popular usage and the need to conserve space on the screen. :?

I guess what I'm trying to ask, is why not just follow the wiki?
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Road_Naming_(USA)#State_Highways

Is it just a matter of saving space? Because I think most drivers would be a little confused over what SR is and maybe try to edit it to NY or something else.
Wajo357

Postby Spil » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:35 am

Wajo357 wrote:Interesting that the name for your highways are using the shorter nomenclature typically used for ramps instead of the recommended naming on the main wiki page discussing road names. Is there a reason you guys are taking this approach?

Interesting that you should ask that ;) ... I just posted something about this last night in another thread (here):
Spil wrote:
ncc1701v wrote:and where do you come down on "SR-xx" vs "State Hwy xx" (on the main road, not ramps)? Is the Road Naming wiki page considered authoritative? Or rather, is it considered authoritative by a majority? :-)
"State Route" is preferred over "State Highway" by New Yorkers pretty much everywhere that I've been in the state. The decision to go with "SR-##" rather than "State Hwy ##" was primarily to reflect this preference, and go with the option that took up the least real estate on the screen while still having the TTS call them out as "State Route ##". The ones that you see that are still "State Hwy ##" are named that way because that's how they came in from the basemap import, and they haven't been worked over thoroughly by someone following the current NY guidelines since the change to "SR-##".
AndyPoms wrote:I'd like to add that there is a push to try to get Waze to support things like NY-## which would display on the client as "NY-##", but TTS would say "Route ##" for NY, but "TX-##" would become "Highway ##" in TTS.
Personally, I would love to be able to use "NY-##" as the name and still hear "State Route ##" on the TTS, and if Waze ever does decide to act on that increasingly popular request, I'll be among the first to push for the switch to "NY-##". Until then, however, "SR-##" best represents the best compromise between popular usage and the need to conserve space on the screen. :?
Spil

Postby Wajo357 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:16 pm

ncc1701v wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:Take a look around other parts of NY state to see what standard they have gone with or look in the New York forum under the US sub-forum.

Here's the relevant text on NY naming: https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/To_ ... ghway_work

Interesting that the name for your highways are using the shorter nomenclature typically used for ramps instead of the recommended naming on the main wiki page discussing road names. Is there a reason you guys are taking this approach?
Wajo357

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:50 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Take a look around other parts of NY state to see what standard they have gone with or look in the New York forum under the US sub-forum.

Here's the relevant text on NY naming: https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/To_ ... ghway_work
ncc1701v

Next

Return to Update/Unlock requests