A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Moderator: Unholy

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:37 am

Wajo357 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:The ramp from 87 had "R.F.K. Brg" so I just matched that.

- If we move Exit 48 earlier, it is "too" early and I don't know how well a junction with 3 exit paths works.
- If we extend 278 up to Exit 48, we make the exit for 87 too late.
- If we make the split with Exit 47 into an unnamed segment leading to Exit 48 and the continuation on 278, Exit 48 performs well, but continuation on 278 would be a right/left combo instead of just a "right".

I can rig some parallel segments of 278, but that just asks for someone to come and "fix" it. But that may be the best course. :(


I think your best options is the one bolded above. Waze will give enough warning of the "Exit Left THEN Exit Right" that the driver should know what to do.


Here is what the BGS shows (unless it has been changed of course).

So to stay on 278, you would get:
Exit right to I-278 E / Bruckner Expy / New Haven then keep left to I-278 E / Bruckner Expy / New Haven

And the exit would give you:
Exit right at Exit 48: E 138 St then exit right at Exit 48: E 138 St

Not wrong, but a little chatty.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
Image
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby Wajo357 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:42 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:The ramp from 87 had "R.F.K. Brg" so I just matched that.

- If we move Exit 48 earlier, it is "too" early and I don't know how well a junction with 3 exit paths works.
- If we extend 278 up to Exit 48, we make the exit for 87 too late.
- If we make the split with Exit 47 into an unnamed segment leading to Exit 48 and the continuation on 278, Exit 48 performs well, but continuation on 278 would be a right/left combo instead of just a "right".

I can rig some parallel segments of 278, but that just asks for someone to come and "fix" it. But that may be the best course. :(


I think your best options is the one bolded above. Waze will give enough warning of the "Exit Left THEN Exit Right" that the driver should know what to do.


Here is what the BGS shows (unless it has been changed of course).

So to stay on 278, you would get:
Exit right to I-278 E / Bruckner Expy / New Haven then keep left to I-278 E / Bruckner Expy / New Haven

And the exit would give you:
Exit right at Exit 48: E 138 St then exit right at Exit 48: E 138 St

Not wrong, but a little chatty.


Not bad. If you are concerned about being chatty and therefore not giving enough time to the driver, you don't HAVE to include "/ Bruckner Expy / New Haven". This would speed up directions.
Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:49 am

Wajo357 wrote:Not bad. If you are concerned about being chatty and therefore not giving enough time to the driver, you don't HAVE to include "/ Bruckner Expy / New Haven". This would speed up directions.

Since locals usually don't use the Interstate numbers, probably need to have the Bruckner in there. I'll drop the New Haven bit and see how it works in real life. Done.

BTW, I started to add the E and W directions to 278 as well.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
Image
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby Wajo357 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:05 am

WeeeZer14 wrote:
Wajo357 wrote:Not bad. If you are concerned about being chatty and therefore not giving enough time to the driver, you don't HAVE to include "/ Bruckner Expy / New Haven". This would speed up directions.

Since locals usually don't use the Interstate numbers, probably need to have the Bruckner in there. I'll drop the New Haven bit and see how it works in real life. Done.

BTW, I started to add the E and W directions to 278 as well.


thx!
Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:38 pm

Wajo357 wrote:
WeeeZer14 wrote:The ramp from 87 had "R.F.K. Brg" so I just matched that.

- If we move Exit 48 earlier, it is "too" early and I don't know how well a junction with 3 exit paths works.
- If we extend 278 up to Exit 48, we make the exit for 87 too late.
- If we make the split with Exit 47 into an unnamed segment leading to Exit 48 and the continuation on 278, Exit 48 performs well, but continuation on 278 would be a right/left combo instead of just a "right".

I can rig some parallel segments of 278, but that just asks for someone to come and "fix" it. But that may be the best course. :(


I think your best options is the one bolded above. Waze will give enough warning of the "Exit Left THEN Exit Right" that the driver should know what to do.

Very nice. This is why I tune in here, I learn a lot.
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY USA
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby ncc1701v » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:42 pm

For completeness - there are reverse connections on that part of I-278 W. WME isn't retaining selected segments or junctions when I make a permalink this morning, but it's the junction centered at https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 1,63999472
... and the "v" is for Volvo.
ncc1701v
 
Posts: 547
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 6:08 pm
Location: Ithaca, NY USA
Has thanked: 49 times
Been thanked: 45 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 2:44 pm

ncc1701v wrote:For completeness - there are reverse connections on that part of I-278 W. WME isn't retaining selected segments or junctions when I make a permalink this morning, but it's the junction centered at https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... 1,63999472

I got the one instance you were talking about. Obviously all of 278 needs some help since the names aren't even up to standards. I'll try to work some more on it today during conference calls ;)

BTW, if you aren't seeing selected segments via permalinks, it is usually due to add on scripts like JNF or the highlighter.
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
Image
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby Wajo357 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:12 pm

Image
Area Manager: New York / New Jersey (in USA)
Wajo357
 
Posts: 345
Joined: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:16 pm
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 6 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby weeezer14 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:26 pm

143.) Fixed.

144.) Fixed.

I left the UR and MP for you.

With all you find, I am surprised you aren't higher than me by now ;)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
Image
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
weeezer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 315 times

Re: A bunch of requests... NY/NJ area

Postby PhantomSoul » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:00 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:And anyone know how Waze would say "RFK"?


I think words in all-caps like this are automatically read out as their letters, i.e. arr eff kay, so the dots in between are not necessary, IMHO. This would also make the phrase shorter and allow more text to be displayed in the "next-turn banner" of the client, which is particularly valuable in the upright "portrait" mode.

The only caveat here seems to be the letters used to indicate your cardinal directions (E, N, S, and W). On more than one occassion has the Waze client read "NY Thruway" as "north why thruway." Not sure if that's a bug or there's just a different way acronyms with those letters need to be entered, but I just thought I'd point it out.

BTW, kudos to anyone brave enough to take on New York City. I drove out to Queens the other day and the map around Brooklyn and western Queens looked like there was all kinds of work to be done. Keep up the good work!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Waze Editing Manual | USA Road Types | USA Forum
Verizon iPhone 6 / iOS 9.3.2 / Waze 4.6
PhantomSoul
Country Manager
Country Manager
 
Posts: 1447
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:00 am
Location: Union, NJ USA
Has thanked: 264 times
Been thanked: 441 times

PreviousNext

Return to Update/Unlock requests

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]