Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

San Gabriel (Los Angeles) CA - Level 5 unlock

Post by ottonomy
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=5&lat ... s=62716058

The road type of this HOV lane exit is Ramp, which is causing the Waze client to direct people driving on the main freeway lanes to exit there. Would someone please unlock it for me, so I can change it to a Parking Lot Road type, like the other segments of the HOV lanes there?
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor

POSTER_ID:11298862

Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California

Post by khaytsus
I don't have any HOV lanes here, so I'm not that familiar with the standards here, but I don't see how users on the interstate could get routed to this exit ramp without already being in the HOV lane.

Are you saying that people are being routed into the HOV lane in order to exit here? I'm just not seeing how that's even possible. Is this a case of Waze thinking the user IS in the HOV lane when they're actually not?

I made the change to the ramp to Parking Lot Road, rather than unlock/relock this segment.

Thanks!
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by khaytsus
ottonomy wrote:I can't speak for other areas, but in Los Angeles, most of the senior editors are following the recommendation here https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Car ... nsit_lanes that HOV and Express Lanes be set to type Parking Lot Road until Waze has properly implemented some settings in the client, so that it knows the occupancy of the vehicle, whether or not the driver has a transponder for toll/express lanes that do not have toll plazas for payment, et cetera. Turn restrictions are also set not to direct drivers into the entrances for such lanes where they have separate ramps from other roads.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe that Waze thinks that users are in these lanes when they are not. The GPS tracking in the client is not accurate enough to tell whether a driver is in one of these lanes or in an immediately adjacent regular traffic lane, so if there is any kind of a gap in tracking, it may place you in the wrong lane when it regains a lock. Obviously, changing the road type of only an offramp from one of these lanes may not be enough in and of itself to solve the problem, but the more segments of these lanes which have penalties in the routing algorithm, the less likely the client is to route there.

In this case, it was a user reported map problem which brought my attention to the routing problem. The user's GPS track showed the vehicle exiting to the right, from regular traffic lanes, at the next available offramp. This suggests to me that he/she was not in the HOV lane.

Thank you for fixing that for me.
Agreed, that's where the wiki info is, I just personally haven't had to directly deal with it/think about it ;)

Hopefully that fixes it, although the real solution is a difficult one... GPS accuracy, way to say "I can use the HOV lane", marking of lanes as HOV, etc.... Maybe someday.
khaytsus
Send a message
USA Country Manager
Central Kentucky Area Manager
AT&T LG G2 (AOKP 4.4.4)
Nexus 7 2013 (Cm 13.1)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/334 ... ze-500.gif

Post by ottonomy
I can't speak for other areas, but in Los Angeles, most of the senior editors are following the recommendation here https://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Car ... nsit_lanes that HOV and Express Lanes be set to type Parking Lot Road until Waze has properly implemented some settings in the client, so that it knows the occupancy of the vehicle, whether or not the driver has a transponder for toll/express lanes that do not have toll plazas for payment, et cetera. Turn restrictions are also set not to direct drivers into the entrances for such lanes where they have separate ramps from other roads.

In answer to your question, yes, I believe that Waze thinks that users are in these lanes when they are not. The GPS tracking in the client is not accurate enough to tell whether a driver is in one of these lanes or in an immediately adjacent regular traffic lane, so if there is any kind of a gap in tracking, it may place you in the wrong lane when it regains a lock. Obviously, changing the road type of only an offramp from one of these lanes may not be enough in and of itself to solve the problem, but the more segments of these lanes which have penalties in the routing algorithm, the less likely the client is to route there.

In this case, it was a user reported map problem which brought my attention to the routing problem. The user's GPS track showed the vehicle exiting to the right, from regular traffic lanes, at the next available offramp. This suggests to me that he/she was not in the HOV lane.

Thank you for fixing that for me.
ottonomy
Global Champ Mentor
Global Champ Mentor
Send a message
Country Manager & Global Champ - United States
Regional Coordinator - Southwest USA
Area Manager - Southern California