Read the forum posting instructions.

If your country has a dedicated forum for unlocks or update requests. See this thread for details first.

Forum rules
BEFORE YOU POST HERE

Read these rules:
1. Use this forum ONLY if your country does not have a Dedicated Forum for update requests.
2. Read the forum posting instructions.

Level 5 Unlock Request, Reston, VA

Post by wpegues
Area Manager, Level 3, for this area.

Unlock segment required to correct incorrect turn from another segment showing a UTurn is possible when it is not.

Permalink, 1 segment:
https://www.waze.com/editor/?zoom=7&lat ... s=66178201

Thanks!!
wpegues

POSTER_ID:1396368

Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia

Post by Mike-1323
txemt wrote:Fixed. Got a ? for you about that road. It's split going north, but it's not split going south, although it looks like it may fit the requirements for being split and it definitely good for continuity purposes, but I'm not going to argue for it one way or another, except for continuity purposes.
I'd say just the opposite. The split to the north should be combined into a two-way.

. . . and the turn lane should be a minor highway not a ramp; never a ramp for at-grade intersections.

The segment is unlocked but the u-turn at that junction was already restricted.
Mike-1323
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

[img]https:///L6ziL[/img] [img]https:///0NAfp[/img]

Required reading: Quick Start Guide, Best Practices, USA Road Types

Post by txemt
Fixed. Got a ? for you about that road. It's split going north, but it's not split going south, although it looks like it may fit the requirements for being split and it definitely good for continuity purposes, but I'm not going to argue for it one way or another, except for continuity purposes.
txemt
Send a message
Just wazeting my time to help you waze your route smoothly.

Post by wpegues
Who actually lives there? I drive through that specific intersection at least twice a day. I live less than 2 miles from this intersection and I have lived in Reston since 1966, except for a couple years away in the early 1970s.

If the U Turn of the segment was restricted where they merge to a single point, it was just made so by someone. I had noticed it was a green arrow permitting a U turn back to the north when looking at this segment a few days ago but did not have time to post a request. I checked it a few minutes prior to the posting time of the unlock request. It was green then. It is red now without my having done anything to it.

I have converted the ramp to the minor highway (which it once was before someone deleted and redrew it on the 10th of January though it it was modified a few days later by someone else so no idea who made it a ramp). I know it was originally a minor highway for the right turn lane since I originally created it as such over a year ago.

I would go with the idea that it ought to be divided from here south as well. The vast majority fits the description just fine. The only places where it does not is where there are turn lanes in one or both directions that cut into the median making it narrow at intersections and leading up to them. To the north it should remain a divided highway.

In addition, there is not a paper map nor online mapping service that I am aware of that renders this road as a single line - they all render it as a true divided highway the entire length. Sure, I know the guidelines (which is what they call themselves, not rules) say that just because Google shows it split does not mean Waze should show it split. On the other hand, Waze seems to be the ONLY one showing it not split.

Much of the road to the south was once divided - it is now single, and in addition numerous editors have locked various segments. Most of those were level 1 and 3 and I have just removed those since this is not an interstate.

The areas to the south of the Dulles Highways are unfortunately once again level 5 locked, by Mike-1323 from a few weeks ago when apparently this road was converted from divided to single line. This area to the South of the Dulles Highways really has a 15 foot median except at intersections. I don't know about others, but I do drive all this area frequently and for many years.

To do this to the map is to confuse the driver - AND, as the editing advice states, if the road was doing fine before hand, leave it split. It was split and it was not having problem reports.
wpegues
Send a message
Will
iPad Air, iOS 7.1.2
iPhone 4s, iOS 7.1.2
MacBookPro 15" Retina, Mountain Lion 10.9.4
Area Manager: Northern Virginia