Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

Real World Versus WSDOT Functional Classification Map

Post by JLOWPhoenix
At what point do feet (or tires) on the ground override what the WSDOT Functional Classification Map shows?

In Airway Heights west of Spokane there are are two roads that seem improperly classed versus the road condition.

Deno Rd & Craig Rd

Deno Road is classified as a Minor Collector from Hayford Road, west to Rambo Road. Yet from Craig Road, west to Rambo Road, Deno is a gravel road with a speed limit of 35MPH. The section from Craig to Rambo, set to Primary Street on Waze, seems like it should be downgraded.

Craig Road from Deno Road, south to Hwy 2, is below classification for WSDOT; so just set as Street in Waze. Yet this section is a good thoroughfare with a speed limit of 45MPH. One big drawback (in my opinion) is that when traveling at 45MPH on Craig, the Waze app's auto-zoom by speed feature makes Craig Road disappear.

The other drawback I see, is that someone traveling east on Hwy 2, who was headed to north Spokane, and wanted to bypass Airway Heights (which is exactly the scenario that found me this route in the first place)... Would see Rambo and Deno as the larger roads if looking manually; or possibly routed there automatically if attempting the bypass while navigating in the app.
JLOWPhoenix
Map Editor - Level 1
Map Editor - Level 1

POSTER_ID:16962676

Send a message
I live and work in the Spokane area (Eastern Washington); but I also travel all over the US for work.