My edit was changed, & other newbie questions  Topic is solved

Moderators: TheChrisK, FzNk

My edit was changed, & other newbie questions

Postby AE7Q » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:58 am

After viewing the newbie tutorial (twice) a month ago, I made several edits (under a different ID, since canceled). One of those was to "straighten" the street I live on (150th Place SE, Mill Creek, WA).

At the east end of that (two block long) street, there is a circle with a large planting area in the middle. Since Google Maps represents that end as having a circle, I drew a circle there.

I notice that yesterday the east end of the street was changed (by dude463) to just end in a point. Questions (note that I am NOT challenging this; I just want to know what the rules are):
  1. So streets that end in a circle have no street representation for this?
  2. Since the purpose of the circle is to reverse direction, shouldn't the street be modified to show "U-turns" allowed?
  3. Shouldn't all roads that end in a dead end allow "U-turns"?

More unrelated questions:

1. It seems that the guidance on parking lots has changed in the last four years, so that "private" parking lots are not to be created. What is "private"? Is a lot that is for employees & visitors of a single entity "private"? If so, is there any way to get rid of the hundreds of "parking lot place" suggested edits on my editing map?
  2. How do I create a parking lot exit, as is suggested (there's already a parking lot road)?
  3. There is an "Update request" by someone for a "Missing road"
    on Seattle Hill Road, about 1.5 mi WSW of my above location in Mill Creek. Did I answer that correctly? Should I close it, or should I wait for a response?

Further suggestions welcome. I find the Wiki useful but incomplete.
Last edited by AE7Q on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Waze on LG G3 (Android v6.0), usually on AA in 2017 Subaru Impreza.
AE7Q

Re: My edit was changed, & other newbie questions

Postby AE7Q » Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:42 pm

Thanks much. I have added the above link to my permanently-open browser tabs ...

I think I will stay away from editing parking lots for the time being ...

Edit: I've been straightening (removing unneeded nodes) residential roads near where I live. I think this is a productive way to practice editing.
AE7Q

Postby AE7Q » Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:03 pm

https://www.waze.com/editor?env=usa&lon ... s=82339630

Confirmed; needs level 3 editor.

Edit: I may have messed up the history on this. There was an update request for the above link, stating that there is a "U-turn permitted" sign at this intersection. I verified that was correct via Street View (& marked the UR as Solved), but am unable to make the edit, as stated above.
AE7Q

Postby AE7Q » Thu Nov 02, 2017 5:29 pm

Thanks for the "fix". I did previously leave a brief comment in the UR that confirmed the reporter's report. The UR is no longer visible (that I can find) to me to update.

I will plan to use the boilerplate responses in the future, and also make sure I can edit something before marking something as Solved. Is there an easy way to "escalate" a UR I have done some research on, but can't edit? Or should I post it here? Posting here would seem to clutter the forum.

I did read the latter two wazeopedia links, and now have read the first wazeopedia link.
AE7Q

Postby AE7Q » Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm

I see you fixed it! However, your above response will be helpful for the future.
AE7Q

Postby AE7Q » Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:28 pm

dude463 wrote:Not trying to steal edits. Sorry. Let me know if you have any other URs that need any guidance.

You can always steal edits, if I have not made any progress in the prior 24 hours.
AE7Q

Postby AE7Q » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:39 pm

dude463 wrote:... Let me know if you need any help.

I need an editor w/ more privilege to join this segment to Broadway Ave:
https://www.waze.com/editor?env=usa&lon ... =509924005

A related question: w/ 7570 points & 1382 edits (I don't drive much at the moment), how far am I from being a level 2 editor?
AE7Q

Postby AE7Q » Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Oops, it turns out that the junction I need to make on Broadway is just a couple hundred feet outside my editing area!
AE7Q

Re: My edit was changed, & other newbie questions  Topic is solved

Postby dude463 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:31 am

Hi, welcome to editing and thank you for starting this conversation. Cul-de-sacs already allow for a U-turn automatically and drawing a circle doesn't do any good. Think of Waze as a Keep It Simple map as opposed to other maps that can get very convoluted. https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ju ... ul-de-sacs

1) Unless it's a very large circle at the end we don't need to map it any different than a normal dead end street.
2) U-turns are already allowed automatically. Although a recent update to WME has started showing the option again at the end of the segment I believe that's a bug and will go away. The system will know you need to turn around.
3) Yes, they do automatically. Sometimes you'll get routed to one because it's the fastest looking U-turn route that the system will see.

more answers

1) Parking guidance has indeed changed over the last 6 months to a year. To put things in a simplistic nutshell any lot that is for someone to drive to and then leave their car and go someplace else, be it a paid lot or free, should be made public. Any lot that is restricted to something less than that should be made Restricted. So your local grocery store's parking lot would be restricted, but your park n ride, the paid lots, local shopping center lots, etc.. would be public. Further functionality is planned for the Parking Lot Areas and this will get more complicated. It is my hope (and nobody has told me this is what will happen) that when you enter a business parking lot to park the app won't ask you if you need parking if you're in a marked parking lot, but if you're not in a marked parking lot it may then suggest where public parking is. Again that's what I hope it will do in the future, not what it does now.
2) currently we're only able to create one entry point. That function may appear later to add more.
3) When answering a UR and it's not expressly written what the problem is with an easy solution you'll need to ask for more information. Be sure to tell then reporter to answer in the app or via the link in the email. Some have been known to reply to the email itself and that doesn't go anywhere. Give them 7 days to respond. If no response then you can close the report as Not Identified. If however you're able to solve it close the report as Solved. When you save the reporter may be able to respond once, but after that they'd need to come to the map to make any further responses to that report. If you find that you've closed a report prematurely just add a final message on it to create a new report if the problem continues. Sometimes things seem to work out on their own or as other problems get solved.

The wiki has been replaced by the Wazeopedia. It will never be complete because it will always be changing to meet the needs at the time. In short, I feel your pain.

Let us know if you have any other questions. I'm happy to answer them for you. And again, thanks for asking the questions.
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.
[ img ]
dude463

Postby dude463 » Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:50 pm

If you have a specific thing you'd like me to look at give me a Permalink and I'll take a look at it.
https://wazeopedia.waze.com/wiki/USA/Ma ... #Permalink
First I learned how to draw lines on a map. Now I must learn the art of Feng-ShWaze.
[ img ]
dude463

Next

Return to Washington