Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!

I-5 bridge collapse in Washington

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Entire section of I-5 dropped into the Skagit river in Washington. Looks like we need to close this in Waze. Could be out of commission for a while
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

POSTER_ID:701618

Send a message
Wiki Resources: Map Editing Manual | alanoftheberg@gmail.com
Oregon-based US Ex-Global Champ Editor | iPhone13Pro - VZ

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
I-5 N and S disconnected from the interchange on the north side of the river to accomplish this closure.

There was already an Update Request from a Wazer ON the bridge. (A non-collapsed portion.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
crazycomputingdotnet wrote:Wow! That is crazy!
Yeah. I hear the bridge collapse caused the California 5.9 earthquake tonight. :D
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
Functionally obsolete meaning that they don't build bridges like that anymore, but that doesn't necessarily mean there are issues which put drivers at significant risk. If a truck can hit the overhead structure and that shifts the bridge deck off the supports, that sounds like a bigger problem than they thought.

I'm seeing from the app today that wsdot is not diverting drivers off I-5 where they claim to be on their website.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sauermk97 wrote:It is still trying to route me over the bridge even though someone disconnected it.
Correct. Map edits take effect after two days if the edit is done during day hours in the US. It's all about the timing. I have tried multiple times to contact Waze resources directly and haven't received any response. They could have put changes in to the routing server immediately but did not. The map changes will take effect Saturday.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
sauermk97 wrote:
It seems there was a Wazer on the bridge when it collapsed, and he/she sent an Update Request, which was responded to almost immediately.
I was in the area when it happened. I had crossed the bridge about 20 minutes prior to collapse. On our way back of course everything was blocked and we re-routed. I submitted a couple of road closed reports directly from the app. I wonder if that was it?
The Closure report is different from a Map Issue report. An "Update Request" is the name for Map Issue when viewed in the map editor. The Closure report is supposed to directly affect the routing engine and not the map. However, on a busy road like I-5, it would take several Wazers to get the engine to update to close the road from a routing point-of-view. (That's a feature which protects drivers from being badly routed by Wazers bent on bad behavior by reporting things closed which are not.)
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
htahta wrote:Just take a look at the live map at http://www.waze.com Here you see the Road closes signs and the signs on the street. So I do not think the map is updated jet)
You're right. Cool!

And really good news! Waze currently is routing around the closures! http://www.waze.com/livemap/?zoom=12&lo ... g=54779006

Bummer, though. Google is too. http://goo.gl/maps/Xhv8E
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
skbun wrote:Maybe someone with a friendly ear at Waze can have a tile update forced once I get done?
I've asked for this before in similar situations and been told it isn't possible. Can always try again.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message

Post by AlanOfTheBerg
skbun wrote:It may not get the people going north today for the long weekend, but it surely will help some when they return Sunday/Monday.
As noted above, Waze has been routing people around the bridge today already. Thanks to the Closure function in the app.
AlanOfTheBerg
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps
Send a message