Puerto Rico

Moderator: delilush

Puerto Rico

Postby EthnFrna » Sat Jun 01, 2013 5:28 pm

I recently started editing roads here in Puerto Rico, specifically the San Juan Metro area. I'm finding that besides the lack of street names on most neighborhoods, that many of the highways and freeways are not labeled correctly and are the wrong road type. Although it's not much of a problem because I enjoy correcting them (I think the streets should be labeled in Spanish as they are in the real world and that if a road circles halfway around the entire island it should be a major or minor highway for its entire length), I am running into many, many locks on ramps and some stretches of highway such as Expreso Kennedy.

These locks are extremely frustrating when the road type is not correct or recently, or not so recently added ramps cannot be connected to the highways in question.

Is it just me or is it common practice for an editor to go into an area and lock their edits never to return again to update the roads they've locked?
EthnFrna
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat May 25, 2013 4:25 am
Location: San Juan, PR
Has thanked: 2 times
Been thanked: 1 time

Puerto Rico

Postby willps » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:04 am

Preferred language should be the local one. Though roads should have the name of the street whether it's English or Spanish.

The lack of street names is an issue indeed. And not having Google's Street View is a huge disadvantage when not near the place. Is there an alternative?

Locking a street shouldn't be an every day practice. Locking should be done when it's a very important street to ensure nobody screws it and/or if there are trolls. But a higher level user should be available so we can ask for unlock when a modification needs to be done. Not sure who that user could be in Puerto Rico's Waze community.
Last edited by willps on Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
--
William

[ img ]
willps
 
Posts: 14
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:14 am
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 3 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby WeeeZer14 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:07 pm

I am the regional coordinator for the south-east US which includes Puerto Rico. I can help with locks as needed. (Warning: I don't know Spanish though)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby x556 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:56 pm

I've been having issues in my head when it comes road types, specially highways. We need someone from the department of transportation of Puerto Rico to help us out determine the road types because under my judgement major highways should only be the interstates, like 22, 52, 66 and such. All others should be considered minor highways. Naming is an issue if you don't live in an area, I even noticed google maps to be outdated on some naming. But that's something we gotta live with. But yeah I see some highways as expressways and I believe those are none existent here in Puerto Rico, anybody care to advice or input in to this matter?
LVL 3 Waze Map Editor from Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
ENGLISH/SPANISH
[ img ]
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby x556 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:09 pm

Sorry I meant to say Freeways not expressways
LVL 3 Waze Map Editor from Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
ENGLISH/SPANISH
[ img ]
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby WeeeZer14 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 6:20 pm

For the continental US we have been trying to follow the "functional classification" of roads to determine what road-type to assign. The functional classifications are set by each state/commonwealth, but are based upon federal standards.

On the FHWA page discussing these standards is this paragraph:

fhwa.dot.gov wrote:Classification Criteria for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico
The classification of rural and urban systems in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico can generally be consistent with the functional system characteristics described in the preceding sections. However, there may be roads on small islands or in other areas that are isolated from the remaining parts of the State or Commonwealth, and none of these roads may meet the criteria for classification as arterial because of the absence of long-distance, through trips. Conversely, there may be undeveloped areas that have very few miles of collector and local roads. Thus, because of the considerably different geographic conditions existing in these areas as compared to the other 48 States, the systems extent for the rural functional classes may vary from that shown in Table II-2. The systems extent for the urban functional classes should be fairly consistent with that shown in Table II-3.

So I take that to mean that it won't be perfect, but start with what we are trying to do in the Lower 48 :)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby x556 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:44 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:For the continental US we have been trying to follow the "functional classification" of roads to determine what road-type to assign. The functional classifications are set by each state/commonwealth, but are based upon federal standards.

On the FHWA page discussing these standards is this paragraph:

fhwa.dot.gov wrote:Classification Criteria for Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico
The classification of rural and urban systems in Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico can generally be consistent with the functional system characteristics described in the preceding sections. However, there may be roads on small islands or in other areas that are isolated from the remaining parts of the State or Commonwealth, and none of these roads may meet the criteria for classification as arterial because of the absence of long-distance, through trips. Conversely, there may be undeveloped areas that have very few miles of collector and local roads. Thus, because of the considerably different geographic conditions existing in these areas as compared to the other 48 States, the systems extent for the rural functional classes may vary from that shown in Table II-2. The systems extent for the urban functional classes should be fairly consistent with that shown in Table II-3.

So I take that to mean that it won't be perfect, but start with what we are trying to do in the Lower 48 :)


Thanks for your input. I guess the proper thing to do is to have a talk to the folks behind the highway editing in my area and discuss statewide standards ourselves.
LVL 3 Waze Map Editor from Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
ENGLISH/SPANISH
[ img ]
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby WeeeZer14 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:13 pm

Yes, you folks on the island will need to work together to define a solution that works. I would attempt to stay close to what the continental US has implemented to make it easier to document your standards and also to troubleshoot routing issues.

I am very familiar with the standards as applied in both urban and rural areas all over the eastern half of the US, so I'd be more than willing to help you guys work out a plan. But in the end, you guys know your roads better than I do :)
iPhone 5s (AT&T) • iOS 7.0.3 • Waze 3.7.6.0
[ img ]
✰ Mega Driver ✰ Mega Mapper ✰ 1M Points ✰
Country Manager: USA • Regional Coordinator: USA South Atlantic (KY, TN, NC, SC)
Navigation/Routing ExpertForum Moderator
WeeeZer14
 
Posts: 3761
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:27 pm
Location: Knoxville, TN, USA
Has thanked: 46 times
Been thanked: 316 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby x556 » Wed Jun 26, 2013 9:07 pm

WeeeZer14 wrote:Yes, you folks on the island will need to work together to define a solution that works. I would attempt to stay close to what the continental US has implemented to make it easier to document your standards and also to troubleshoot routing issues.

I am very familiar with the standards as applied in both urban and rural areas all over the eastern half of the US, so I'd be more than willing to help you guys work out a plan. But in the end, you guys know your roads better than I do :)

Thanks! I'll keep in touch during progress.
LVL 3 Waze Map Editor from Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
ENGLISH/SPANISH
[ img ]
x556
Area Manager
Area Manager
 
Posts: 99
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 am
Location: Toa Alta, Puerto Rico
Has thanked: 20 times
Been thanked: 17 times

Re: Puerto Rico

Postby kat4rolling- » Tue Jul 23, 2013 2:25 am

willyps wrote:Preferred language should be the local one. Though roads should have the name of the street whether it's English or Spanish.


Wazers, please keep with the recommendation. The whole point of editing the names of the street is for the user to have an easy ride. It doesn't matter if its english or spanish, what matters is that the road signs and the map names coincides.
kat4rolling-
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:36 pm
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 2 times

Next

Return to Puerto Rico

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users