Get a sneak peek at whats next for Permanent Hazards on our April 7th Office Hours!
Post by sikemever
We have the similar problems in Wayne County, PA. There are duplicate street names throughout the county with the same Post Office designation yet the streets are unrelated. I have found putting in the correct Twp name under City is one solution. Because there are so many private communities, the street name duplication is very complicated. Is this an acceptable practice? Some people don't know the Twp to select if they are from out of town so they select the wrong one. I have also considered adding the particular private community at the end of the street name. This does help visitors who know the community name distinguish from the multiple choices they have to choose from when typing in a street name and city. Thoughts?
sikemever
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by Smitty15
jondrush wrote:Very nice summation. I clarified some wording and my additions are in red.
voludu2 wrote: * Waze team has made a change to the database that will allow the exact same city name to be reused within the state for different cities, as long as there is some distance between them. These cities will be assigned different city iDs in the database, but we can't see the city ID in WME

* When two cities of the same name are close together, it is necessary to use something to distinguish them from one another
A) If a township and borough have the same name, then the township gets the "naked" name, and the borough gets the name with the abbreviation "Boro"
A1)If a Census Designated Place (CDP) and a township share the same name, the CDP gets the naked name and the township gets "Twp" abbreviation appended to it.
B) If a municipality name is used in a nearby county, distinguish them by appending the county name e.g. Thornbury, Chester".
C) If a city name is duplicated just across a state line, append the county name.
Exception for B and C: in Delaware County leave off the County name because it is easily confused with the nearby state name.

* Jon / jondrush has been working on a list of all duplicate cities in PA, and when he is done with the list he will submit a list of changes to the waze team. For each of the names like "Milford (2)", Waze will make a one-line change in the database and, like magic, the new name will replace the old name on every segment.
** We don't know how long this will take, or if it will be the kind of thing that can be divided up among the community of PA editors.

* In the mean time, we can save ourselves, Jon, and the Waze team some effort if we
A) NEVER try to change the name of a city one segment at a time -- work together to get the name change submitted (Milford (2), Greater Bedford Area) for all the segments with that name.
B) Fill in city names where the name is missing completely. If there is no city at all, use the Cityname, Countyname convention for temporarily naming without conflict.
C) Fix city names on the wrong side of the boundary between, for example, Milford Boro and Milford(2)
Trying to follow these rules to edit my areas correctly. I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

I'm dealing 1st with Perry Co. Liverpool Boro/Liverpool Twp Liverpool is not a CDP, so following what is above, I am to label anything in the Boro as "Liverpool Boro", and the Township gets labeled "Liverpool", without the TWP added? What's entered so far doesn't seem to follow this at all.

Also, I'm dealing with Penn Twp in 3 different counties I edit. So would that be for example "Penn, Cumberland" or is it "Penn Twp, Cumberland"?

More closely are Greenwood Twp, which border each other in Perry/Juniata Counties.

I think I have a good idea of what to do based on what I've read here, I just want to make sure due to the inconsistency I see on the map now.

Appreciate any and all help! I look forward to working with you all to make Waze a better place. (No pun)
Smitty15
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by Smitty15
voludu2 wrote:You'll find all kinds of inconsistency on the map.
Thank you for fixing it.

You may run into difficulty creating the new cities. If you do, please get hold of a more-senior editor to get a new city name "planted" in the right spot for you.

Welcome to waze editing, and please join us in the PA google hangout. PM me (or any other PA editor) to find out how.
waze.com/wiki/Welcome
Yeah, I didn't want to create something that isn't necessary. I already ran into that "It doesn't exist, are you sure you want to create it" message. I didn't want to move forward without clarification.

I'm in Hangouts, did you forget me already? ;)
Smitty15
Area Manager
Area Manager
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Here's an excerpt from the most recent discussion -- 12/31/2015
voludu2
Send a message
Attachments

Post by voludu2
I'd like to sum up what we know so far. If I have any of this wrong, please let me know, and I'll correct this summary:

* Waze team has made a change to the database that will allow the exact same city name to be reused within the same state for different cities. These cities actually have different city iDs in the database, but we can't see the city ID in WME

* When two cities of the same name are close together, it is necessary to use something to distinguish them from one another
A) If a township and borough have the same name, then the township gets the "naked" name, and the borough gets the name with the abbreviation "Boro"
B) If a municipality name is used in more than one county, distinguish them by appending the county name e.g. Thornbury, Chester". Exception: in Delaware County leave off the County name because it is easily confused with the nearby state name.
C) If a city name is repeated nearby just across a state line, append the county name

* Jon / jondrush has been working on a list of all duplicate cities in PA, and when he is done with the list he will submit a list of changes to the waze team. Since he is a champ, they will pay attention to his request. For each of the names like "Milford (2)", waze will make a one-line change in the database and, like magic, the new name will replace the old name on every segment.
** We don't know how long this will take, or if it will be the kind of thing that can be divided up among the community of PA editors.

* In the mean time, we can save ourselves, Jon, and the Waze team some effort if we
A) NEVER try to change the name of a city one segment at a time -- work together to get the name change submitted (Milford (2), Greater Bedford Area)
B) Fill in names where the name is missing completely
C) Fix city smudges along the boundary between, for example, Milford Boro and Milford(2)
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I wish Waze would add County also. Then it could show up in search.
Mercer, Mercer county vs Mercer, Butler county, so anyone can choose the correct one.

This would still not solve the problem of a Milford borough and a Milford township right next to each other in the same county. We need standard guidance and some special-case flexibility.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
You'll find all kinds of inconsistency on the map.
Thank you for fixing it.

You may run into difficulty creating the new cities. If you do, please get hold of a more-senior editor to get a new city name "planted" in the right spot for you.

Welcome to waze editing, and please join us in the PA google hangout. PM me (or any other PA editor) to find out how.
waze.com/wiki/Welcome
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Welcome to waze editing!
We are working through the problems and potential solutions in the GoogleHangout for PA editors. Please join us -- please look for a PM from me.

Thanks for your help with the map!
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
The question is, Chris -- will this approach work in this case?
The data model Waze has given us is not ideal, so we wind up making decisions like this on a case-by-case basis. And sometimes changing our minds.

Our goal is the best user experience for all concerned (and that includes the editing experience as well as the driving experience) given the limitations of the platform. The problem is generally defining "best"

Dovid's suggestion is simpler than what we've tried in Milford up to now. Implementing it means intentionally leaving some "truth" off the map, which can sometimes be upsetting for some of us.
Assuming addresses do not repeat across the township line, it could work well for wazers, including editors.

I'm still hoping that, one day, Waze team will move city names off segments and allow editors to draw polygons for municipalities, zip code "areas", and CDPs (and even specify which is which) But I am certainly not holding my breath.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I agree. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
If Milford and Milford do get themselves into a mess again, it is worth considering making the change.
may e our guidelines can provide the flexibility to cover this kind of case-by-case decision making.

I feel your pain re: accuracy. There will be cases where the Waze map can't handle the truth.
voludu2
Send a message