Post by RussPA
You mean it shows the full road name at the bottom, but only the shield on the rest of the map? Maybe I'm not sure what you mean.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Answers: 4
Send a message

Assistant Regional Coordinator - NOR
Global Champ - US
WME Beta Community Coordinator

Post by RussPA
You probably could do it for highways, you would just need to enter the individual street names into the alt fields, since searches will use any name field. But that would be a lot of work changing highways.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Global Champ - US

Post by RussPA
Ah, I was wondering how that would work too if a road had a dual name. Good to know.
RussPA
Waze Global Champs
Waze Global Champs
Send a message

Global Champ - US

Post by sikemever
My viewpoint is from the user that has no local knowledge and is trying to make a verbal to visual connection while driving. I am a very literal person, so if Waze blasts out the names, I expect that to match what I am seeing on the sign. I'm ok with extra information or "dual names" but some of what I am told should match what I am seeing or it causes doubt and missed turns.
sikemever
Country Manager
Country Manager
Answers: 1
Send a message

Post by voludu2
I really wish we could have route number shields on named roads. That would be a big benefit to wazers. In the US, a route number is often different than a road name for state and local roads, and should be in a different field on the database.

In cases where the road name is the same as the route number, it would be easy enough to fill In the same value for both. I haven't heard anything to indicate this is on the dev team's roadmap, unfortunately.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
So the exit fro I-70 to 43 calls it 43, not the min Fayette expwy. Do any of the signs for 43 call it the Mon Fayette expressway?
voludu2
Send a message

voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Thats the question. What do the signs actually say? Have they actually changed any signs to reflect the new name for the freeway?

Over the weekend, I came across another example in Hazleton where the exit ramp calls the highway one thing but the cross-street signs for the highway still have the old name, even though the law says new signs were to have been put in place years ago.

I'm for using whatever the signs say, if we can figure out what the signs currently say.

Also, wherever it is reasonable, getting the route shields displayed on roads like route 43. That means the combo name, since WME does not offer a separate field for route numbers.

For routes where drivers are going to hear the route named in the traffic report, it is useful to be able to see it on the map. For routes that have a name that is not used in signs, in traffic reports, or for addressing, there may be no purpose in making it visible in the map.
voludu2
Send a message

Post by voludu2
Sounds like we haven't come up with any reasons NOT to make the change to dual naming, with route number listed first (this has to do with the regular expressions which were supplied by the community for finding / matching route numbers of various types for shield display).

We have come up with some situations where dual naming is preferred, and some cases (as, perhaps, with the Mon Fayette) where it doesn't make sense to use a "local" name in a freeway if it does not appear on any BGS.

On the other hand, we have an argument for using route nicknames like "blue route" which don't appear on any current official maps or signs, but are commonly used in traffic reports. This suggestion breaks the "map to the BGS". "Blue Route" is very different from "Schuykill Expressway" because the schuykill expressway is an official name that actually appears on signs.

Mon Fayette might be a slightly different issue. Perhaps the expressway was officially called that, at one time. Currently, some parts of it have been designated "Barry Stout", but it seems that, perhaps, neither of these names are signed anywhere, except in one small sign at the California exit. If neither of these names are important to understanding radio traffic reports, then they fail both the BGS and "Blue Route" tests and should not be used.

There seems to be a lot of agreement on applying something like this to interstates and especially the various pieces of the turnpike.

I am not sure if there is complete agreement on US routes like 30. In SE PA, 30 is variously the Lincoln Highway, Lancaster ave or pike, but is best known as 30. I'm not sure how important the route shield is on Girard Ave in Philadelphia.

US-202 is another example -- in some sections the BGS says US 202, while in others it is West Chester Pike or Wilmington west Chester pike, but is best known as 202 all along its length. Do we dual-name 202?

How about route 100 (the portions which are still SR-100, of course, not the portions that have been de-designated, from the DE state line to the beginning of the 100 bypass around West Chester)

How about SR-61, which is, in portions, a freeway, Pottsville Pike, and in other portions a divided highway or a small named road running through small towns like Centralia and Shamokin? "SR-61 / Mount Carmel St" or no shield within towns like Shamokin?

How many US and SR would we want to dual-name in order to get both the shield and the BGS name?
Should we start with freeways and leave other routes alone for now?
voludu2
Send a message

Post by whoaitspete
IIRC, we set up NY that way so that shields would display. If that still holds true, it's worth the advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
whoaitspete
US Waze Champs
US Waze Champs
Send a message

USA Local Champ | NY State Manager | Android Beta Tester
Northeast Region Discord / NY Wazeopedia / Waze NY Twitter