Speed and Red Light Camera Laws in Pennsylvania

Moderators: delilush, orbitc, PhantomSoul

Speed and Red Light Camera Laws in Pennsylvania

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:59 pm

Just figured I'd share this information since Red Light Cameras & Speed Cameras pop-up ALL over the map in Pennsylvania. This should help whether to approve Speed/Red Light Cameras.

Speed Camera Enforcement: Not in use. No state law or programs

Red light Enforcement: Limited to: (Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and municipalities w/ a population >20,000 and police depart. accredited by the Penn. Chiefs of Police Assoc. in Bucks, Chester, Delaware, and Montgomery Counties; requires local ordinance)

Citation Issued to: Registered owner/Owner
Image Taken: Photos
Penalties (Traditional Penalties): $100 max.; not on operating record ($25 max.; 3 points)

Reference:
GHSA:
http://www.ghsa.org/html/stateinfo/bystate/pa.html
WAZE:
http://www.waze.com/wiki/index.php/Map_Editing_-_select_map_editor?title=Cameras

[ img ]
Last edited by MGODLEW on Sun Apr 05, 2015 7:24 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[ img ]
Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
Area Managing: State of Pennsylvania
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Re: Speed and Red Light Camera Laws in Pennsylvania

Postby MReiser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:06 pm

Yes, I'm constantly deleting misplaced speed & red-light cameras all over PA. I started a thread over a year ago but it has never been updated. At the time, all red light cameras were restricted to Philadelphia. I know that has since changed, but have any local municipalities passed an ordinance yet? I've been watching this closely as Abington & Upper Moreland Twps in Montgomery County have proposed several red light cameras right here in Willow Grove.

EDIT: Here is the most recent list of red light camera intersections in PA according to AAA Mid-Atlantic: http://midatlantic.aaa.com/~/media/File ... meras.ashx

This list was last updated July 29th 2013.

Here is a link to all the states in the AAA Mid-Atlantic area:
http://midatlantic.aaa.com/~/media/File ... meras.ashx
[ img ] [ img ]
Delaware State Manager / Level 4 editor - Philadelphia metro
Samsung Galaxy S5 (Android 4.4.2) w/ Waze v3.9.0.0
MReiser

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:36 pm

MReiser4670 wrote:Yes, I'm constantly deleting misplaced speed & red-light cameras all over PA. I started a thread over a year ago but it has never been updated. At the time, all red light cameras were restricted to Philadelphia. I know that has since changed, but have any local municipalities passed an ordinance yet? I've been watching this closely as Abington & Upper Moreland Twps in Montgomery County have proposed several red light cameras right here in Willow Grove.

Correct, A LOT of cities are considering them but that doesn't mean they have them yet. Pittsburgh for example: http://www.wtae.com/news/local/investigations/plan-to-bring-redlight-cameras-to-pittsburgh-has-supporters-critics/-/12023024/20958916/-/9iua6nz/-/index.html The problem is, all the cameras people report are simply traffic cams not enforcement cams OR people just trying to get points. I wish it was possible to turn off camera reporting in regions where they do not have it.
[ img ]
Rank 6 US Champ, Beta Tester & iOS Beta Leader | Waze Wishlist | Improper Edits | iPhone 6: JB iOS 9.0.2 |
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby MReiser » Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:40 pm

Agreed...I think people are reporting PennDOT traffic cameras, crime cameras, emergency vehicle sensors, etc. It's been going on for as long as I've been using Waze. The only good thing is those of us editing should know better, and we have to approve them before they go live.
[ img ] [ img ]
MReiser

Postby jondrush » Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:02 pm

I stickied this topic.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby MReiser » Tue Sep 03, 2013 6:38 pm

Abington Township in Montgomery County is one step closer to implementing red light cameras at three intersections: http://abington.patch.com/groups/police ... a-contract

It looks like these three intersections could have cameras in operation by the end of 2013.
[ img ] [ img ]
MReiser

Postby shellshock2872 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:15 am

I kniow what the differant between an em sentor and a light cameras and a speed camera I see them 29 days out of there I travel 20,000 miles a month in alot of town, and If you ever went in Indainaphis, IN you would see a real speed camera.
shellshock2872

Postby MGODLEW » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:23 am

shellshock2872 wrote:I kniow what the differant between an em sentor and a light cameras and a speed camera I see them 29 days out of there I travel 20,000 miles a month in alot of town, and If you ever went in Indainaphis, IN you would see a real speed camera.

Or you can travel to Philly and see what they look like in Pennsylvania, but for the time being, this is the only place they are being utilized. :)
[ img ]
MGODLEW
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby jondrush » Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Unstickied this as all info should be placed in the PA wiki now.
Keeping the Waze maps tidy since 2009
jondrush User Page
[ img ]
jondrush
EmeritusChamps
EmeritusChamps

Postby Dogshrink » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:00 pm

I just went out on a fact finding mission of red light cameras in the western Lehigh Valley, mostly on US222. I found at a number of intersections reported as having cameras on the traffic light standard thin cameras with strobe lights next to them. Of the 10 or so cameras I found by other reports as well as my own sightings, there were no signage to go with them.

These were not traffic cams as those are mounted much higher and not right at intersections.

Many cams didn't have any visible wiring connected but on the side of the standard, there were antennae. My questions are: Should I approve them? Are they fake? Have they come online yet?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/13586721@N05/sets/72157636513922954/
Jeff Cushner
South Whitehall
Former SM, Area Manager Lehigh Valley, PA
[ img ] [ img ]
Dogshrink

Next

Return to Pennsylvania