Post by dbraughlr
MGODLEW wrote:Generally, you should follow what the street signs say.
As a general rule, there are signs with both the route number and the name. The route number is usually much larger and provided by PennDOT and thus more likely to be replaced when damaged, stolen, or otherwise missing.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
MGODLEW wrote:I have discussed these with Jon before
Then please do document your conversation in the wiki.

The "magic" fix is to run a program to delete them from the database. It can't be that hard to identify them all.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
Has the text-to-speech "Penn" -> "Pennsylvania" been deleted?
It also caused problems for "Penn State", "West Penn", and other places which are not "William Penn".
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
Other editors use "Main St (US-999)". I like this.

Sometimes roads have two primary names.

I-20 in Mississippi is labeled I-59. That's wrong. It should be labeled "I-20 W / I-59 S". It is fine to add I-59 as an alternate name. But the client app shows only the primary name. Any driver following I-20 should be able to see that he remains on I-20, not that he exits onto I-59 with no mention of I-20 until it splits from I-59.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
jasonh300 wrote:
dbraughlr wrote: I-59 is the primary signage along that stretch of I-20 / I-59. Also, the mile markers are for I-59.
Nonetheless I-20 is shown (equally) side-by-side with I-59 along this segment and drivers consider that they have remained on I-20. Naming it "I-59 S / I-20 W" would make this clear. When other numbered route are diverted onto the interstate, I agree that you cannot list them all. But two Interstate numbers running together for awhile is fairly common. The highway signs do not distinguish one over the other, e.g., I-70 running along I-76 from Bedford to Breezewood.

As I driver, I like to see the route that I am following in the client app.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Last edited by dbraughlr on Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
jondrush wrote: I actually kinda like finding these, because 90% of the basemap roads that have NY state are garbage. I fire up the WME Add-ons script
I agree that converting them to PA would be wrong. Deleting 100% of them is harmless. If one appears to be correctly located, it is probably a coincidence. I don't have that script, though. But it certainly seem that the same rule could be applied en masse by someone somewhere.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
jondrush wrote:I'm afraid if an automated solution is put in place it will delete legitimate roads on the PA/NY border.
Even with a buffer zone of 25 miles south of the border, a lot of the state could be cleaned up.
With additional criteria like "not updated since created in 2009", I suspect that all legitimate roads would be safe.
Real roads that cross the border should have a name and likely have been updated since they were first loaded.
dbraughlr
Send a message
Ѭ

Post by dbraughlr
jondrush wrote:I still prefer the message block to appear under this phrase.
Moved.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
I believe that the primary place where an issue arises is when the city name on the highway leading to an off-ramp differs from the city name where an on-ramp joins the highway on the other side of an interchange. This is sure to arise whenever the intersecting road is also a city boundary.
dbraughlr
Send a message

Post by dbraughlr
There are situations where I prefer that alleys disappear. It depends on what we mean by alley. If the alley is named and used for an address, it is a street. If it is an unnamed shared access road for trash collection, I don't need to see it on the map. I dislike that unmunched private roads are featured prominently in the app.
dbraughlr
Send a message